Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CPAP Machine Specifically on AA - consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2003, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 7.8 MM EXP, QF P1, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium(Life), Hilton DIA, IHG RA, HZ PLAT
CPAP Machine Specifically on AA - consolidated thread

Howdy All;

I'm getting ready to take another RTW site visit (visiting, NYC, LHR, FRA, MUN, ZRH, MAD, CAI, HKG, KUL, SIN, PER, SYD, OGG (for some R&R!), and finally onto SFO, LAX and back to the homestead at DFW.

While I'm fortunate enough to have convinced the bean counters to let me book this 4 week tour as a RTW in First, I'm not looking forward to the many hours in-flight where I need to hit the ground running for my day's business meetings.

My question - I've been using a CPAP machine for the past few years while at home, and have a portable one I take with me for use in Hotels when staying away from home -- has anyone had any experience in using one while on an aircraft>? Specifically AA metal on my transatlantic and transpacific flights>?

My portable unit is dual voltage, and has the standard US type plug; AA uses a cigarette style power adaptor on it's fleets, and I do have an adaptor which I've tested in my car; so I'm certain it should work on the aircraft.

What I'm really curious about is if there are any AA or FAA specific taboo's or regulations regarding it's use during flight (it's basically an air pump system and face mask that allows me to sleep without snoring, and helps manage my sleep apnea).

The machine makes minimal noise, especially when compared to the typical roar and hissing that's found on today's aircraft.

In fact, I think it's plus for whomever might be seated around me on some of those long hops - I won't be rattling the window shades with my snores!

I was actually gently tapped by a flight attendant two weeks ago while flying from SFO to DFW - she was slightly embarrassed as she woke me from my slumber, stated that a few passengers had complained about my snoring.

My partner, who was traveling with me stated that I was indeed a "loud sleeper", and suggested that I try to sleep on my side (we were on a 3 class 767, and had upgraded to the fluffy brown mammoths).

That was the first time in my 25 years of flying to ever have been awoken for snoring too loud , and it got me to thinking about bringing along my CPAP unit for the upcoming long flights.

So - anyone with CPAP experience while flying on AA?

Safe journeys all

Lord Z
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:28 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Have you thought about simply calling AA and asking them? A res agent may need to put you through to 'Special Assist' or whatever it's called in the US.

There may be some sort of restriction regarding the noise, the pump or something else like that. Most importantly, whomever you speak to AA, make sure they actually know what a CPAP machine is!

Good luck, happy snoozing.....
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
Don't know if it's allowed or not, but IMO the sound of your little machine is *highly* preferable to listening to you snore. Good luck!
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:53 am

Here's some actual information:

I went through this 18 months ago on a RTW. At that time, the only major carriers that would allow CPAP machines using electric power in-flight were CX and LH. I used CX for 2 of 3 long-hauls (US to HKG, HKG to Paris).

CX did require the following:
  • A letter from my doctor saying that I needed a CPAP
  • The make and model of the CPAP machine I proposed to use (It was a Sullivan/ResMed 6).
CX then sent me an authorization to use the machine.

The process took several weeks and multiple phone calls. Moreover, you would need to sit in certain seats (on the 747-400, it was 4K I believe in F) to have access to an AC outlet.

Frankly, I don't bother with the rigamaroll any more. The CPAP machine isn't nearly as useful in flight as in a bedroom (tends to move around, etc.). Instead, I absolutely avoid any alcohol in flight (dries you out), and I drink lots of water.

There are some discussion boards about CPAP and apnea (sorry, don't have pointers), and I did get loads of useful information from them.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:56 am

And an addendum:

There's a compact CPAP machine that came out a year ago, made by Puritan-Bennett. It's about half the size/weight of the so-called 'portable' one that I got through my HMO.

I bought the compact unit on my own dime for traveling, and it's fantastic: very slightly noisier than my everyday CPAP, but incredibly useful for traveling (doesn't take up 1/2 of my rollaboard).
Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 7.8 MM EXP, QF P1, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium(Life), Hilton DIA, IHG RA, HZ PLAT

- Thanks for the info Wideman!

- Using the brilliant idea of actually contacting AA for their T&C's (Thanks Brit!), I learned the following concerning AA's policy:

- Only Battery Operated models are authorized for use on AA metal
- AA specifically recommends the following 3 models:

o Healthdyne 7300
o Respironics REMStar
o Respironics Solo

I checked the web for these models, only the Healthdyne 7300 seems to be a battery operated one; the Respironics all state their "DC", but state they have a power cord and no mention of batteries.

Also - AA (via the EXP desk and Customer Service), advises that I'll need to have my PNR noted that I'll be using a CPAP, and to include the model #; apparently this info is passed to Special Services (to do what, I'm not sure, other than to perhaps add a note to let the flight attendant know I'll be using that device in-flight).

So - while it does appear I can bring along a battery operated CPAP - I was wondering if anyone else had experience in using such a device while in the air, and (to keep it on topic for AA), any experience or suggestions for using one on AA metal (Thanks again for your tips Wideman).

Safe Journeys all!

Lord Z
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:11 am

When I was looking into using the CPAP, I did check out some battery-operated models.

The first thing to note is that the batteries (for the models I saw, at least) were all extremely heavy and bulky -- we're not talking about 4 AA batteries here. Also, for the number of hours that I'd be in the air, I would have had to recharge the batteries, which meant lugging along a battery recharger. And, unlike the CPAP machines, not all of the battery rechargers were compatible with non-US voltages. Plus, of course, you need to bring the regular AC plug-in equipment.

If I recall, another issue with a few of the battery-powered models is that some used batteries that were verboten on the airlines at that time, presumably because of whatever is inside of the battery.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:58 pm

I saw on an episode of the BBC series "Airport" them setting up a plug for a CPAP for a business class (I think?) passenger on QF on a LHR-SYD flight. The seat was right in front of a door so they obviously selected a particular seat for access to the power plug.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:17 pm

If you need a letter from a Physician, let me know.

I used to use a cpap / bipap, but had my tonsils removed and UPPP and now I don't have sleep apnea anymore.

Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:27 pm

A relative of mine has successfully used it on both QF and SQ Syd/LHR, tho being in F might have helped.

Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA Gold
Hey, I've used my CPAP machine to get from LAX to SYD and back on QF with no problems whatsoever. Now I'm planning a trip to Argentina on AA and I'm being told I need a special battery-operated CPAP machine or I'm out of luck.

This seems absolutely ridiculous. The Qantas experience shows that the airplanes are capable of handling a CPAP, so why would AA want to cause a hardship for its passengers? My options are: (a) stay up all night on an overnight flight; or, (b) not be able to sleep, snore extremely loudly in the few moments I actually am able to sleep, and -- thanks to the apnea problem -- possibly die in my sleep.

Spending thousands of dollars on bulky battery-powered equipment is not, in my view, a particularly appealing option. Especially when, as I stated before, it's quite obvious that the airplanes can accommodate CPAP machines with a very small amount of fuss.

If anyone has any ideas on how I should proceed, please advise. I'd be very grateful.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
As another CPAP user, I agree with the comments that you should be able to use it in-flight.

As for power, I imagine the battery requirement is based on a fear of too high an amperage draw on the electrical bus. Although given the growing size of some laptops this seems a little ludicrous.

I did the LAX-BNE on Quantas but was stuck in Coach without power (even more annoying) so couldn't try it. Although would have been sweet to be able to use the humidifier.

I'd be inclined to just try it, and plug it into the seat power. Worst case they ask you to turn it off and you act confused...
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
APC makes an inverter (http://www.magellans.com/store/Phone...ersEA262?Args=) that a friend's father has used a CPAP with on AA in F. Obviously, your CPAP model and it's current draw will be the deciding factors but it IS possible to run one off the Empower port. The inverter limits current draw so it's not as though you can cause damage to the aircraft's electrical system. If there's an overload the inverter simply shuts down.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:53 pm

Some CPAP machines are not as quiet and would definitely be a significant annoyance on a flight. They are trying to protect themselves by restricting it to certain models. Also, some models may draw too much power for standard inverters and the power supplies on the jets. I had problems with a 90 W laptop and an inverter using the 12V jacks.

So what should they do: Tell people they can use their own machine and find out it is too loud and disrupting other passengers and then have the patient stop using it. Or have their machine not work and have the patient "die". Or tell people that only certain machines are useable.

(BTW, give me a break "possibly die" , what happens if you have a power outage in the middle of the night, do you have your CPAP set up to a backup power supply, or what happens if the mask falls off in the middle of the night)

I know I think we should pass a federal law that says that all airlines should have to provide CPAP machines for the travelers. They should have every model available and several duplicates just in case multiple people need them. That and you should get to fly free.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Slightly OT

I REFUSE to use a CPAP cannot stand the things on my face at night and I have severe Apnea. My Dr. prescribed a dental device that brings my lower jaw forward. I use it exclusively and it works great for flying on AA or any other carrier (keeping it on topic )

Perhaps you could ask your Dr. about it. It costs around a grand but generally is covered by insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.