AA to extend match status given EXP to UA 1Ks for flying 55K

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
AA to extend match status given EXP to UA 1Ks for flying 55K

I just got this letter

Dear C.T.

We hope you are enjoying the exclusive benefits of your AAdvantage.Executive PlatinumŽ status, including unlimited complimentary upgrades, access to Main Cabin Extra and.Preferred.seating, PriorityAAccessSM privileges, and more.

I'm delighted to tell you about a special offer to extend your AAdvantage.Executive Platinum status for another year.

Earn 55,000 elite-qualifying miles or points between April 24, 2012, and December 31, 2012, and extend your AAdvantage Executive Platinum status through February 28, 2014.1
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Extend Your Elite Status E-Mail

I thought this might be of interest. I just received this e-mail from AAdvantage. It seems as though they are keen on maintaining the status-matched EXP's. I'm assuming this is going to status-matched folks, but maybe others can confirm/deny that.
Dear BillBauman,

We hope you are enjoying the exclusive benefits of your AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ status, including unlimited complimentary upgrades, access to Main Cabin Extra and Preferred seating, PriorityAAccessSM privileges, and more.

I'm delighted to tell you about a special offer to extend your AAdvantage Executive Platinum status for another year.

Earn 55,000 elite-qualifying miles or points between April 24, 2012, and December 31, 2012, and extend your AAdvantage Executive Platinum status through February 28, 2014.1

It is not necessary to register for this promotion. You have been pre-enrolled for this offer.

Plus, we know that staying connected while you travel is important, so I am pleased to let you know that we will offer Wi-Fi service on the majority of our domestic fleet by the end of summer, with more aircraft being added each month. For more information about Inflight Wi-Fi onboard American Airlines, please visit AA.com/wifi.

Sincerely,

President
AAdvantageŽ Loyalty Program
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
If I was a loyal AA EXPLAT, I'd be really pissed. First they gave us the MATCH w no challenge. Then 8 SWUs upgrades for free. Ok, I maybe can understand that but now I get to be EXPLAT all this year for no flying AND ALL NEXT YEAR TOO if I fly half as much as a REAL EXPLAT. THIS LOOKS LIKE DESERATION!!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Let the kvetching by the current EXPs begin! And welcome over from the dark side.

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't bad. It is more of an extended challenge. 55k miles/points in 7 months time is about 95k on an annual basis, so this isn't that far off from normal EXP qualification.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
If I was a loyal AA EXPLAT, I'd be really pissed. First they gave us the MATCH w no challenge. Then 8 SWUs upgrades for free. Ok, I maybe can understand that but now I get to be EXPLAT all this year for no flying AND ALL NEXT YEAR TOO if I fly half as much as a REAL EXPLAT. THIS LOOKS LIKE DESERATION!!
But if this means AA stays in business and does not merge with US, I guess few will have problems with this decision.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
I'm a loyal EXP, and I think this is a smart move. But I'm sure plenty will come along shortly to tell me I can't actually think this is a smart move.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: Various
Or even Desperation (on AA's part) I have mixed thoughts personally on this.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Science Goy
I'm a loyal EXP, and I think this is a smart move. But I'm sure plenty will come along shortly to tell me I can't actually think this is a smart move.
I matched, and would likely have used my 8 upgrades on short Caribbean trips, etc. Now that the bar is only 55,000 which I can reach in addition to 100,000 on UA, I'll likely throw some long-haul C fares at AA and use the upgrades to go to F....sounds like a win for them.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
THIS LOOKS LIKE DESERATION!!
Whatever that might be.

This is sure to cause outrage from longtime ExecPlats and Plats (who earn more than 50K+ but less than 100K each year), but it is akin to a Fast Track challenge given half the year [since granting ExecPlat] is over, so it is just a pro-rated requalification target. Also, the majority of UA status matchers did not get the SWUs, but must fly 10K a month through August to get them. So all it appears AA is doing is pro-rating a set of challenges for UA defectors.

The company is in bankruptcy, so shifting one's business without certainty of what the future holds is a bit of risky business. AA is trying to keep afloat by generating new customers and this is a pretty painless way of attracting some -- pardon the pun -- high fliers who can bring a few hundred million dollars its way. It is also doing this through the summer months (for the SWU challenge) when business travel is at its lowest level, so most of those who will be going for the SWUs will be doing it on their own, and not the company's, dime.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm certainly with you and Shareholder on this one. Given some have just become aware of this, it's almost like a pro-rata normally earned EXP status . (Yes, it will add some to the upgrade etc. queues - but I'd not be surprised some EXPs have departed AA, and if having some more frequent flyers helps the bottom line, it's probably a smart business decision.) It may keep some status-matched "EXP-lites" flying AA.

Yes, it looks like "deseration" because they are somewhat "deserate".

Originally Posted by Science Goy

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 6, 2012 at 11:52 am Reason: added some after gregarrenton quoted this post
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I matched, and would likely have used my 8 upgrades on short Caribbean trips, etc. Now that the bar is only 55,000 which I can reach in addition to 100,000 on UA, I'll likely throw some long-haul C fares at AA and use the upgrades to go to F....sounds like a win for them.
+1, bring your money to AA! and ^ to AA, I agree wholeheartedly with Shareholder and JDiver above me.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Let the kvetching by the current EXPs begin! And welcome over from the dark side.

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't bad. It is more of an extended challenge. 55k miles/points in 7 months time is about 95k on an annual basis, so this isn't that far off from normal EXP qualification.
While that may be the case, I'd hate to think that the floodgates have been opened to Systemwides. When people have an abundance of them (16) then they request to use them on transcontinental flights and other routes where we'd normally have to compete for upgrades. I think it is literally a slap in the face to all EXPs that achieve it by normal means.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm certainly with you and Shareholder on this one. Given some have just become aware of this, it's almost like a pro-rata EXP - and more restrictive than merely status matching. (Yes, it will add some to the upgrade etc. queues - but I'd not be surprised some EXPs have departed AA, and if having some more frequent flyers helps the bottom line, it's probably a smart business decision.)
I'm with you guys. Keep the foot on UA's throat.

Love chinatraderjmr's enthusiam though. Lot's o' capitals there...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Whatever that might be.

This is sure to cause outrage from longtime ExecPlats and Plats (who earn more than 50K+ but less than 100K each year), but it is akin to a Fast Track challenge given half the year [since granting ExecPlat] is over, so it is just a pro-rated requalification target. Also, the majority of UA status matchers did not get the SWUs, but must fly 10K a month through August to get them. So all it appears AA is doing is pro-rating a set of challenges for UA defectors.

The company is in bankruptcy, so shifting one's business without certainty of what the future holds is a bit of risky business. AA is trying to keep afloat by generating new customers and this is a pretty painless way of attracting some -- pardon the pun -- high fliers who can bring a few hundred million dollars its way. It is also doing this through the summer months (for the SWU challenge) when business travel is at its lowest level, so most of those who will be going for the SWUs will be doing it on their own, and not the company's, dime.
+1. also, summer generally yields the highest leisure fares compared to fall and winter. I generally make MRs in the off season so I now have to think twice about making MRs in order to qualify for the SWUs.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It sounds like that AA wants to retain those UA 1Ks that look like they will want to stay with AA now. As other posters have pointed out that would come close to 100K miles on an annualized basis. Hey if AA can take away valuable top flyers from UA, particularly from battleground ORD (where this offer would probably yield the greatest attraction) more power to AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.