Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

"Boarding and flexibility" option now for sale AA.com (nee PriorityAAccess for sale?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Boarding and flexibility" option now for sale AA.com (nee PriorityAAccess for sale?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Non-elites purchasing non-Y economy fares are now offered the option of purchasing a "Boarding and Flexibility package" when purchasing a new ticket on AA.com.

Current per-passenger pricing is $9, $14 or $19 depending on distance for each one way, including connections.

The optional package includes the following (note that PriorityAAccess is not part of the package):

Group 1 of General Boarding
Be among the first to board and have earlier access to overhead luggage bins
  • Group 1 travelers will board prior to other travelers in general boarding
  • Group 1 will board immediately following PriorityAAccessSM, which includes AAdvantage® elite status and oneworld elite status members
  • Group 1 is not available on some American Eagle flights

Standby for an Earlier Flight
Standby for an earlier flight on your departure day at no additional charge
  • Travelers standing by for an earlier flight on their departure day would retain their original flight reservation until they are confirmed on the alternate flight
  • Travelers can request to be added to the standby list at the airport check-in kiosk or at the departure gate, unless the standby list is already closed at the time of request
  • Unlike a confirmed reservation, Standby does not guarantee a seat on a particular flight

$75 Flight Change Discount
Save $75 off the regular $150 service charge, when applicable, when you change your travel itinerary
  • Travelers are required to give notice of the change prior to their originally scheduled departure
  • Travelers will receive a $75 discount off the regular $150 service charge, when applicable, for ticket changes
  • Travelers will also pay or receive credit for any fare difference

Terms and Conditions:
  • Boarding and Flexibility package must be purchased for the entire itinerary and for all travelers in the reservation.
  • Boarding and Flexibility package is only applicable to customers traveling within the 48 contiguous United States.
  • Boarding and Flexibility package is valid for travel only on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection®. Codeshare flights are not eligible.
  • Prices are for the entire itinerary and may vary by destinations.
  • For some itinerary changes it may be more economical to purchase a new ticket than to use the $75 Flight Change Discount. Customers will be entitled to receive Group 1 of General Boarding, Standby, and $75 Flight Change Discount (when applicable) only if the new itinerary also features the Boarding and Flexibility Package or is a full fare offering these same amenities.
  • The refund policy of the Boarding and Flexibility package is determined by the refund policy of the associated fare purchased.

This package seems to be targeted at business travelers, but am unsure whether/when this is/will be also available as an add-on for tickets already purchased elsewhere (e.g. corporate travel agent).

Source: https://www.aa.com/reservation/booki...logContent.jsp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

See also: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/yourchoice.jsp

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Oct 1, 2010 at 3:02 pm Reason: mod note
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
$75 change fee discount? That's a perk that none of us has. Hmm....
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
The $75 flight change discount is part of this program, but there must be a way for elites to be able to purchase that part of it, right?

Maybe they're going to give us the reduced change fee automatically? Hopes so..lol

I tried to book a flight and I saw this, and it's only offered to non-elites. This would be something that's interesting if it's a benefit that they get that we don't

Last edited by demkr; Jun 14, 2010 at 11:12 pm
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:14 pm

Too bad they do not include a free confirm standby as an option for those with status.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by demkr
The $75 flight change discount is part of this program, but there must be a way for elites to be able to purchase that part of it, right?

Maybe they're going to give us the reduced change fee automatically? Hopes so..lol

I tried to book a flight and I saw this, and it's only offered to non-elites. This would be something that's interesting if it's a benefit that they get that we don't
The primary target of this program is mostly casual, non-frequent fliers. If you're an elite and purchase this option, then the only benefit you receive is the flight change $75 discount.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
The primary target of this program is mostly casual, non-frequent fliers. If you're an elite and purchase this option, then the only benefit you receive is the flight change $75 discount.
I know, I am aware of that (the Group 1 thing, standby etc)--but I tried booking two reservations, one w/o inputting my AADV# and one with...without, I was offered it, with, I was not.

That's telling me that the $75 option (atleast when you're purchasing online) is available to non-elites only. To me, that's a bit odd.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
I know, I am aware of that (the Group 1 thing, standby etc)--but I tried booking two reservations, one w/o inputting my AADV# and one with...without, I was offered it, with, I was not.

That's telling me that the $75 option (atleast when you're purchasing online) is available to non-elites only. To me, that's a bit odd.
Oh I see. That's weird. It's supposed to be available to everyone.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I have a few questions regarding this new policy. One thing I am glad is that the boarding will not affect the priority AA elites received. One thing I do hope is that now that money is involved, the boarding will truly be enforced.

1) Will group 1 continue to include passengers in coach who sit in the back of the plane? Or will the old group 1 now be group 2?

2) Will I still be able to bring my companion with me to board who might be in a different group?

3) Does this package have to be purchased when booking the flight, or can it be bought later?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Current per-passenger pricing on deep-discount fares seems to be $19 one way, $38 round trip, and $52 for a two stopover trip (including connections).
It actually varies based on market. Check an advance purchase fare from LAX to SFO, for example. That one is $9 each way.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's the press release

American Airlines Introduces 'Your Choice' Services to Give Customers More Options, Greater Control Over Travel Experience

Your Choice Designed to Best Meet Customers' Needs, Further Enable Them to Select Services They Value

FORT WORTH, Texas, June 15, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --American Airlines today announced it will offer customers additional options when traveling on American, with its "Your Choice"(SM) services. Your Choice provides key services intended to make the customer travel experience even more personalized, convenient, cost-effective and flexible than ever before.

As part of the initial Your Choice offering, American is introducing a "Boarding and Flexibility Package." More Your Choice services will be offered in the future. Customers can purchase the Boarding and Flexibility Package for travel within the continental United States when they purchase tickets at American's website, AA.com. Details on the Boarding and Flexibility Package are as follows:

places you in Group 1 of General Boarding, which allows you to be one of the first groups to board the plane for your flight. (Group 1 boards immediately following PriorityAAccess(SM)customers);
provides a $75 Flight Change Discount, which means that if you need to change your itinerary, you'll save $75 off the regular service charge when applicable;
allows you to standby for an earlier flight on your day of departure at no charge;
applies to all travelers in your reservation per-person charge;
offered for an introductory price of as little as $9 each way. Prices vary based by market and routing;
Here are some examples of introductory prices for the Boarding and Flexibility Package on popular American Airlines routes, (based on nonstop routing):

$9 for Dallas/Fort Worth to Kansas City, Mo.
$14 for Chicago O'Hare to Boston
$14 for Dallas/Fort Worth to Orlando, Fla.
$14 for Miami to Washington, D.C.
$19 for New York JFK to Los Angeles
In addition to the Boarding and Flexibility Package available to customers when purchasing their tickets at AA.com, later this summer American will offer Group 1 of General Boarding as a stand-alone option for customers, upon arrival at the airport. The introductory price for the Group 1 of General Boarding option is $10 each way, regardless of flight length, markets or routing. Services must be purchased for the entire itinerary. This option will be available for purchase up to one hour prior to scheduled flight departure, via the self-service check-in machines at most U.S. - and many worldwide - airports.

Certain limitations apply for both the Boarding and Flexibility Package and Group 1 of General Boarding. For details, please visit www.aa.com/yourchoice.

As a reminder, American's premium customers, including AAdvantage(R)elite status members and oneworld(R) elite status members, will continue to enjoy PriorityAAccess privileges, including early boarding, expedited check-in and security screening, and the option to standby for an earlier flight on the day of travel at no charge.

"We're excited to offer customers options to tailor each travel experience to their preferences," said Dan Garton, American's Executive Vice President - Marketing. "Our customers appreciate value and convenience. With American's Your Choice services, we're able to further enhance the services we deliver to them. And we are hopeful of adding more Your Choice offerings in the future."

About American Airlines

American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection(R) serve 250 cities in 40 countries with, on average, more than 3,400 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 900 aircraft. American's award-winning website, AA.com(R), provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of the oneworld(R) Alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest names in the airline business, enabling them to offer their customers more services and benefits than any airline can provide on its own. Together, its members serve nearly 700 destinations in more than 130 countries and territories. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle Airlines, Inc. are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation. AmericanAirlines, AA.com, We know why you fly and AAdvantage are registered trademarks of American Airlines, Inc. (NYSE: AMR)

Current AMR Corp. releases can be accessed on the Internet.

The address is http://www.aa.com

SOURCE American Airlines http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....407&highlight=
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:15 am

I have to give credit to AA think tank, they just keep coming up with ideas to take money out of a customer's wallet. First the Mileage multiplier, now this, what's next....
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Interesting. I do like the ability for non-elites to get standby again. Though I suppose if that was the main motivation for buying the package, I'd be annoyed if the standby didn't clear.

What puzzles me is why the heck the price varies based on flight length. The benefits don't seem to vary, whether I'm flying from JFK-LAX or DFW-AUS.
  • I board in group 1. This avoids the wait for gate-checked luggage; the length of the wait doesn't vary by flight duration.
  • I can standby, but a flight that leaves 3 hours earlier will arrive 3 hours earlier, again, no matter the flight length.
  • I save $75 on a change. The savings don't vary by flight distance.

It's not like paying extra for a more comfortable seat or internet access, where the benefit will be enjoyed for a greater time on longer flights.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by Billy910
I have to give credit to AA think tank, they just keep coming up with ideas to take money out of a customer's wallet. First the Mileage multiplier, now this, what's next....
I wouldn't go so far as giving them credit, since United came before AA with its version of the mileage multiplier and "Travel Options." AA is simply copying one of its competitors, and I suspect it won't be the only legacy to do these unbundling of services.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I hope Mr. Arpey had the common decency to sent a thank-you letter to Gary C. Kelly (WN CEO & Chairman) (and some nice flowers to UA management as well).

Wait for the exit row sales to begin!

New AA theme song begins with:

"Group one for sale or rent,
buy a cup of water, fifty cents..."
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
If I understand correctly, non-elite Y passengers can purchsae this assortment of services ONLY at the point of sale unlike United? That would make sense because if someone knew they were going to be making a flight change they could simply purchase the "Your Choice" assortment for $9-$19 and then call and request the change (w/ $75 discount). Its interesting that you are essentially purchasing a discount for the change fee. It would be nice if AA could allow elites the opportunity to save on the change fee then.

The press release specifies that more services are to follow; but I think they should allow passengers to add the bundle AFTER the point of sale. I have an award ticket coming up for November on UAL and have received multiple e-mails soliciting me to purchase Economy Plus/Premier Line/etc (all of which I've disregarded since Im not interested) but I think if AA offered this some passengers may add it on after their ticket purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.