Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Had a Great NH Experience!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
NH F is nice but on a cheap side, but I would never say it is the best catering or best service, how nice is an airline has to ask you to return the PJ at the end of the flight in F?
Gleff:

What were you saying about under appreciated?

Scho
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:40 pm

I have to agree... NH F is the best. In the past 2 weeks I've flown on NH, TG, SQ and LH in F (all long haul flights - the shortest one was BKK to FRA), and NH was the one that stood out as being consistently better.

I agree that the amenity kits and PJ's may not have been up to scratch with SQ, but the product is just as good as the Sky Suite (even though I flew on the 77W on SQ) and the food and service was far better (and more consistent!).

The Super Cheesburger was almost as good as the one I had at the FS in HKG, and - while the cabin was pretty hot - I slept soundly on the comfortable duvet.

These were all paid tickets, and - if I had to do it over again - I would choose NH whenever possible. The order of my preference are as follows:

1. NH
2. SQ
3. TG/LH (tie)
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:57 pm

Found it too warm in the cabin
But after the flight, they truthfully say "Thank you for frying with us", don't they?

NH F is nice but on a cheap side, but I would never say it is the best catering or best service, how nice is an airline has to ask you to return the PJ at the end of the flight in F?

SQ is way ahead of NH, just look at the amenity kit, a bottle of cologne or perfume, not even travel size, and what does NH gives you ?
Why is the amenity kit so important? There isn't anything there that you cannot get at any store. I seldomly even open the amenity kit, let alone take it with me. I just don't understand why some passengers expect the airline to provide them with enough toiletries for the upcoming week and with PJs for the whole family. Are you also complaining that NH will not allow you to take their very nice china with you?

Last edited by cockpitvisit; Apr 2, 2008 at 6:05 pm
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Why is the amenity kit so important? There isn't anything there that you cannot get at any store. I seldomly even open the amenity kit, let alone take it with me. I just don't understand why some passengers expect the airline to provide them with enough toiletries for the upcoming week and with PJs for the whole family. Are you also complaining that NH will not allow you to take their very nice china with you?
It is just every little thing counts when I and others fly F. Just the same thing that people complain that there is no PJ in F for UA, and people compliment that flying OZ in F will get a wedgwood crystal as a thank you gift. Read the Trip Report and you will see how the flyertalkers judge the airline, or any travel magazine, every single details will determine if the airline is truly a 5 star airline.

And if you pay attention, you seldomly see SQ F amenity kits or CX F Shanghai Tang PJ end up in ebay, because it is just so nice that people will actually keep it and use it.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

SQ is way ahead of NH, just look at the amenity kit, a bottle of cologne or perfume, not even travel size, and what does NH gives you ? A basket of items same as C class with a few extra things and a bag. The airline that can compare to SQ is probably OZ when they finish installing the new F seats on the 747. The service on OZ is even better than SQ, amenity kit, PJ, and a thank you gift at the end of the flight.
OZ will never beat SQ. For starters, SQ has its new beautiful cabins available on many B77Ws as well as true suites on the A380. On the other hand, OZ at the most will only have a few 747s with the new F and as far as the new J goes, the seats are not flat like SQ's new Business Class beds. Further, SQ's cabin crews speak a flawless English, while on OZ they really struggle communicating in English. Finally, OZ tends to never assign male cabin crews in F. I'd take the efficiency of SQ's male Inflight Supervisors and Leading Stewards working in F over OZ's inconsistent female cabin crews. If you want a gift from SQ, speak to the Inflight Supervisor, he always finds me something better than OZ's cheap gifts. Sorry, I'm a huge SQ fan.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Wow. Even JAL lets you take their pajamas home after the flight!

just look at the amenity kit...what does NH gives you ? A basket of items same as C class with a few extra things and a bag.
Even JAL gives a true amenity kit in F.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Wow. Even JAL lets you take their pajamas home after the flight! Even JAL gives a true amenity kit in F.
Not to mention faulty aircraft/pilot errors/group in-fighting and huge amounts of red ink the last little while !
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
OZ will never beat SQ. For starters, SQ has its new beautiful cabins available on many B77Ws as well as true suites on the A380. On the other hand, OZ at the most will only have a few 747s with the new F and as far as the new J goes, the seats are not flat like SQ's new Business Class beds.
True, true - but the new SQ C and the OZ C each have their pros and cons. While I've never flown on SQ C on the 77W (only F ) I have looked at it and would never fly in it considering my height.

Further, SQ's cabin crews speak a flawless English, while on OZ they really struggle communicating in English.
It's true that sometimes there are problems in communication - but they are so respectful and kind that it is so difficult to fault them at that. SQ FA's (the men especially) I have spoken with occasionally move into inappropriate topics - even the female FA's sometimes don't know their boundaries (the "SPG" term didn't come along for nothing).

Finally, OZ tends to never assign male cabin crews in F.
See my point above.

I'd take the efficiency of SQ's male Inflight Supervisors and Leading Stewards working in F over OZ's inconsistent female cabin crews. If you want a gift from SQ, speak to the Inflight Supervisor: he always finds me something better than OZ's cheap gifts.
This is a pretty odd statement... why would you go up to the IS and say "find me a free gift at the end of the flight?" It's not about wanting a gift - it's the gesture of receiving one that counts. And - mind you - the last time I asked for a female amenity kit in F after having received the male one I had to remind the FA that I am more than happy to return my male PJs/Kit (in which I am drowning in quantity) in exchange for the female ones; she almost looked she was going to hand in her resignation.

As to efficiency - on SQ? There is a lot of room for improvement...

Sorry, I'm a huge SQ fan.
I can tell and while they are a good airline in the air, there is a lot of room for improvement on the ground (in many difference facets).
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Not to mention faulty aircraft/pilot errors/group in-fighting and huge amounts of red ink the last little while !
Try to calm down. Jealousy is an ugly emotion.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Try to calm down. Jealousy is an ugly emotion.
LOL.......
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:12 pm

SQ is way ahead of NH, just look at the amenity kit, a bottle of cologne or perfume, not even travel size, and what does NH gives you ? A basket of items same as C class with a few extra things and a bag. The airline that can compare to SQ is probably OZ when they finish installing the new F seats on the 747. The service on OZ is even better than SQ, amenity kit, PJ, and a thank you gift at the end of the flight.
No way that SQ beats NH when it comes to service. NH anticipates your needs much better, and more attention to small details. I have no doubt about this at all.
Compare the current F class seating on the two - let's see, NH has about an extra foot of width and much more privacy with those high sides. And I think I'll give up a bottle of lotion and purfume for the extra space! You cannot compare the "suites" on SQ to NH's F seats, as SQ do not make those suites available on the majority of their flights. Let's be fair here.
As for the PJs, I can't see why anyone would need to take these home anyway - again, maybe $50 US max here? And who would need to wear these things at home?
The catering on SQ does not compete with NH, especially when it comes to presentation. Just look at the "snack" list on NH - about 12 items, most hot, and with SQ you'll get a sandwich, crisps, or cookies that cost maybe a few dollars?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
No way that SQ beats NH when it comes to service. NH anticipates your needs much better, and more attention to small details. I have no doubt about this at all.
As for the PJs, I can't see why anyone would need to take these home anyway - again, maybe $50 US max here? And who would need to wear these things at home?
The catering on SQ does not compete with NH, especially when it comes to presentation. Just look at the "snack" list on NH - about 12 items, most hot, and with SQ you'll get a sandwich, crisps, or cookies that cost maybe a few dollars?
Out of the all three *A carriers, I would say OZ definately the best comes to the service, NH treats you good if you are Japanese, I have seen FA often have small talks with those Japanese businessman all the time, as they can speak japanese. NH FA, or I would say purser and F purser also have problem in communication problem with me in English. They are keep simliing to cover up their poor english skills.

When OZ and SQ giving out PJ, I can hardly see anyone does not take the PJ home. Everyone does, as well as the amenity kit.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 6:24 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
With all of these posts discussing pjs and amenity kits, I notice some NH amenities worth noting, IMO: in C class on the 777 300ERs, the seat shells seem to be finished in something that looks like fine birch wood, which resemble elegant Japanese wooden boxes. There is a lot of room on their planes (FC, C and PE) as other posts have said, based on looking at their seating plans for long haul service.

My experiences on NH have been in Y class. You get what you pay for. However, I still appreciate the FA bowing to everyone in Y class when the cabin crew is introduced and when the FAs have to do a manual safety demonstration. I appreciate the FAs turning down the cabin's air con temp immediately when requested. I rave about the excellent meals NH serves in Y class. In Y class, at least NH offers slippers to wear on long haul flights. I speak mostly English to the FAs. Yet, I still appreciate the bow from the FA personally to me after a drink is served. For me, those subtleties in Y class make me feel like I am personally attended to as in FC.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 3:51 pm

Out of the all three *A carriers, I would say OZ definately the best comes to the service, NH treats you good if you are Japanese, I have seen FA often have small talks with those Japanese businessman all the time, as they can speak japanese. NH FA, or I would say purser and F purser also have problem in communication problem with me in English. They are keep simliing to cover up their poor english skills.
I've had plenty of small talk with the NH FA's - and I'm caucasian (and don't speak Japanese). Very pleasant experiences. The SQ FA's take ages to understand things and when you speak to them they completely miss the point - in fact, I find small talk with SQ FA's (especially the LS) so incredibly frustrating that I've decided to stop talking with them alltogether.

When OZ and SQ giving out PJ, I can hardly see anyone does not take the PJ home. Everyone does, as well as the amenity kit.
I remember when I was younger: if my dad brought Coca Cola home we would drink it. If he didn't, we wouldn't miss it. If you get things for free, often the human mind decides to take it. No difference with the PJ's.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
In Y class, at least NH offers slippers to wear on long haul flights.
There are no slippers for long haul economy on NH, that is an amenity for Premium ecnonomy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.