Search

Paid Upgrade...then not

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Paid Upgrade...then not

hi there-

recently i flew palermo-milan-london. as i had a full-flex econ ticket (one way) i asked to be put on an earlier flight from PMO and also to pay for an upgrade to biz.

i was told the first leg had no biz (ok) but paid a further 150euro for the LIN-LHR leg. in total i paid just under 700euro for this one way fare.

upon boarding in LIN i was surprised to see my seat was 4C...just behind the curtain. i spoke to the lead FA who tried to sort it and the ground agent on the plane said i should have taken care of this inside (how would i know where the curtain was when inside the airport?) anyhow the conversation was cut short due to a medical emergency and i sat down.

later the f/a said my ticket actually showed me booked into a premium economy class which on an A320 doesnt exist. and i was also allowed into the lounge at LIN.

aside from asking for a refund for the upgrade paid...to the same seat i already had originally booked--am i entitled to anything further? it smells of a violation of EU consumer protection directives, but i am uncertain if that applies to airlines--having been sold a service/good that they do not in fact offer.

thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Which fare class was your original ticket booked in?
Which fare class was your upgraded ticket booked in?

I don't see why you think you would be entitled to anything other than a refund. What had you in mind? It doesn't appear that you collect Millemiglia miles, for example.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Which fare class was your original ticket booked in?
Which fare class was your upgraded ticket booked in?

I don't see why you think you would be entitled to anything other than a refund. What had you in mind? It doesn't appear that you collect Millemiglia miles, for example.
thanks for your response. where can i find the original class i was booked in? on the return i was put in B. as i am a BA freq traveler, i just do not know what the equivalent classes are on AZ.

aside from the refund for the "upgrade" paid my question was simply about the EU consumer protection directives solely based on the fact that i was sold a service they do not offer which applies across many different industries--so i was simply curious if there was any knowledge here about how it applies to airlines.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
B is indeed Economy Fully Flex. Business Class on Alitalia is sold as J, C, D, I or E.

I'm confused, though, that you say "on the return", given that in the OP you say you were travelling on a one-way ticket.

The fare class should be shown somewhere in your confirmation or e-ticket.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:20 am
Original Poster

helpful, thanks a lot for the chart.

when i say "on the return" i meant i bought two one-way tickets since i bought a separate ticket heading down.

thanks for the information--much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.