Wiki Posts
Search

3 Days in April

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

3 Days in April

Hi FT'ers.
I will be heading to ANC for 3 days (this weekend). I will have all of Friday,Saturday,Sunday. What i have planned so far is going down to Seward,Girdwood on one day. I saw there is only really one tour of of whittier (the gray whale spotting tour), im not even sure if it would be worth it? What are some recommended ideas on itineraries for the 3 days? I was in AK/ANC in September and while i was only there for 24 hours, i felt like going down to girdwood/seward in that time frame was enough. What about Denali? maybe going up to Fairbanks?
The Aurora lights are there that time of year from what i have heard?Talkeenta is showing a level 3 in terms of activity. Any ideas minus the day trip down to seward would be great, or even maybe any reccomendations from what i may have missed before?
Cheers
Ryan

Last edited by ryanbarker747; Apr 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:56 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Sorry I didnt see this earlier.

I would only go to Denali if you did it overnight i.e. go Sat and return Sun. The road into the park will be open to me 29 starting today. Drive it at least twice. Motel Nordhaven and Lakeview Inn both in Healy are open.

If you "base" yourself in Anchorage I would take a day trip to Talkeetna. Great views of Mt. McKinley from there.

You can see the aurora from Talkeetna or Denalu but often it is in the middle of the night so it really requires an overnight. I have also seen the aurora from near Anchorage too so check the forecast.

Last edited by fti; Apr 18, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.