Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

2 Days in Anchorage For Plane Spotting - But Want To See Animals!

Old Apr 20, 14, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Next weekend I'll be in ANC for a couple of days to get in some spectacular planespotting - fantastic mountain backdrop! My question, if I am in ANC for 2 days, is there some place where I can go for a day or 1/2 day with cameras in hand to sight bears, wolves, eagles etc. I'd rather not spend a lot of time driving so I'm hoping there are options within 30-60 minutes of the airport area. Thanks for any ideas!
Old Apr 21, 14, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You could always cheat and drive an hour south to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

Most of the "in the wild" shooting I did was in Denali and Seward. I'll leave it to others to discuss options around ANC.

Half of the below were at AWCC.

Old Apr 21, 14, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
You could always cheat and drive an hour south to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

Most of the "in the wild" shooting I did was in Denali and Seward. I'll leave it to others to discuss options around ANC.

Half of the below were at AWCC.
Fantastic pics regardless of where you found the critters. Seems like the drive south on Seward is worth at least a day. From what I've 'googled', it seems there are several look outs and things worth seeing along the drive.

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 14, 2:49 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
The drive along Turnagain Arm is great for scenic photos. Stop at pullouts. Look up on the hillside for sheep (bring binoculars).

You have a great chance to see moose and to get some good plane photos if you drive on the road that circles around the airport. Follow signs toward North Terminal and the post office but keep going (dont turn toward either). At the T turn left and continue around the airport. You can even go further than the first gate that implies you cant go further.
Old Apr 22, 14, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti View Post
The drive along Turnagain Arm is great for scenic photos. Stop at pullouts. Look up on the hillside for sheep (bring binoculars).

You have a great chance to see moose and to get some good plane photos if you drive on the road that circles around the airport. Follow signs toward North Terminal and the post office but keep going (dont turn toward either). At the T turn left and continue around the airport. You can even go further than the first gate that implies you cant go further.
Yep, I was there last year for a couple of days in January just for spotting. The security patrol was awesome. Even brought me coffee a couple times during my 2 days of spotting. I spent 2 8 hour sessions along that perimeter road and did see a moose from a couple hundred yards out. I was surprised at how friendly security was. They'd park and come talk for a while as well.
Old Apr 24, 14, 1:08 am

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
You won't have to leave ANC, bears are out on the hills above the city. I recommend the turnagain arm and flat top. The Bird Ridge hike should be clear of snow (except for maybe the very top) and will get you the best photos of turnagain arm and possible wildlife.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: