Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Ways to claim a BSG:

1) In Person, find someone at the baggage counter or ticket area.

Update 6/5/2022: Requests for the Baggage Service Guarantee are now entered through the computer/iPad. Allow up to a week for the miles to post, then contact Customer Service.

Update 2018-11-10: Online requests, either via customer service or Twitter, are no longer reliable ways to request a BSG. The typical response now is they must be obtained in person at the airport from a baggage agent.

Print Wikipost

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:36 pm

Got the email with $25 discount 3 weeks after my flight. Nobody was in the customer service so I emailed back on that night. Slow but I am not in a hurry so everything is great.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Bags on today's AS 23 (ORD-SEA) started coming out just past the 20 minute mark; mine was 50 or so deep so a couple of minutes later. I had someone waiting thus didn't wait to talk to an agent, so I will send in the online contact form based on the advice in this thread.

I think this is only the second time in ~8 years I've had a bag take > 20 minutes. Ironic because I was really surprised when bags hit the carousel in ORD on Monday well before most passengers did.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Three AS flights with checked luggage in the last 10 days. All three were 20+ 3-10 minutes. At the moment the bag carousel started, I ook a picture of the app's flight status page showing arrival time.

Then sent that picture in a DM to the AS Twitter rep. He/she posted the 2500 miles each time within minutes.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Is the guarantee for any bag on the carousel or your specific bag in hand? The website says:
If your bags are not at baggage claim within 20 minutes
This makes it sound like it's your bag in hand at 20 min (as long as it hasn't gone around a few times). If the carousel started at 19 minutes, but your bag is last and took 2 minutes to come out, it sounds like you get the miles. Any anecdotal evidence to support or refute?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Well they scan the bags as they're coming out so they will know when each bag technically is out on the carousel.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
It's your bag, not the first bag. Though, I've had some Baggage Agents say differently. However, Customer Care always corrects it.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by lg20
It's your bag, not the first bag. Though, I've had some Baggage Agents say differently. However, Customer Care always corrects it.
This.

Last week they had chicken wings in the AS BR (was late for the beer tasting, but the wings were still good) so was delayed getting to the belt. Bags were there at T-25 at ANC ^.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
OT but chicken wings at the BR? What is going on!?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
OT but chicken wings at the BR? What is going on!?
There was a special event

They even had blue cheese to dip in!
Attached Images  
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:48 am

Coming back from spring break vacation about a month ago my bag didn't show-up in YVR (missed connection in SEA from FLL for some reason but wife's bag did arrive). Was approaching 1:30 AM by the time we got to the belt in YVR and then over to the AS baggage help desk where I filed the missing baggage claim but forgot about (and staff didn't proactively) ask for delayed baggage guarantee compensation. After realizing I had short-changed myself, I wrote in a couple of weeks later to customer service and got a $50 discount voucher.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
16 Mar AS377 (BWI-SAN inaugural) connecting AS481 (SAN-SEA, same jet) ... bag showed up at 22 min but we were in a rush to pick up the dog and get on with our 5-hour drive; submitted a Customer Care email that evening and received the miles about a week later
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
4/26 AS 2151. Got the certificate from the counter right at 20min mark. Bag in hand at 24min.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mroseman13
Is the guarantee for any bag on the carousel or your specific bag in hand? The website says: This makes it sound like it's your bag in hand at 20 min (as long as it hasn't gone around a few times). If the carousel started at 19 minutes, but your bag is last and took 2 minutes to come out, it sounds like you get the miles. Any anecdotal evidence to support or refute?
Bags at ORD started around 19 minutes, and the AS agent at ORD actually stopped scanning bags at the 20 minute mark. Any that came out after had no scans and they qualified.

When I saw that AA was handling the bags at ORD, I figured there was a good shot at a claim.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
My husband and I have now received a total of 6 BSG vouchers year to date, most recently at IAD where our bags were several minutes late. The agent there was readily available to help us and said that baggage delays there are fairly common. We seemed to be the only ones asking for the vouchers so either other passengers were contacting AS directly in some way or they didn't want to bother.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I rarely see other passengers claiming BSG when eligible. A few times, I've mentioned it to nearby customers who all were surprise that it existed. It's almost as if passengers don't listen to everything the flight attendants say over the speakers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.