Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Passengers of size and overwing exit seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, United 1K

Is there any sort of safety rule that a passenger of size who obviously would not fit through the overwing exit, not be allowed to sit in those rows?
Old May 27, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG
If they require a seatbelt extension, they won't be allowed to sit in the exit rows. At least that's what happened to a person sitting next to me on one flight.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:01 am

You also can't be big enough to use the passenger of size second-seat policy and be seated in an exit row - this is an AS policy.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
There are a few pro athletes who could manage the exit doors, help people out, etc. who might not meet AS rules.....I'd prefer a really fit, large person accustomed to having to face urgent decisions to someone who is a small, unfit and very nervous person!
Old May 27, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kileysmom
There are a few pro athletes who could manage the exit doors, help people out, etc. who might not meet AS rules.....I'd prefer a really fit, large person accustomed to having to face urgent decisions to someone who is a small, unfit and very nervous person!
But the OP specifically mentioned someone who could NOT fit through the overwing exits. I, for one, would not want a pro athlete who could NOT fit through the exit to be seated in the exit row.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Since this is getting views, what about people who are too frail to be in the Exit row.
I somewhat frequently see very senior citizens in the exit row. A couple of years ago there was a lady across the aisle who was so weak that she couldn't even lift her carry on off the ground and had to ask another passenger for assistance to get it into the overhead bin.

I took a picture and send in a complaint with all flight and seat details. Only got a "thank you for your comments" form email back.

This is not ageism on my part. We are all getting older and that's no joke. Then again, I felt it wasn't PC to point out that this passenger wasn't qualified for the exit row, it's IMHO the FA's job to figure that out. Also, I sat in the window seat on the other side so I'd definitely get out (as if that even matters, no one is going to survive a crash anyway).
Old May 27, 2017, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, United 1K
Thanks for the information. That actually makes sense to me. On my recent flight, there was a very large person sitting in 17B who spilled way over into 17A and 17C. They were unbelted the whole flight, but the flight attendants actually did not notice, so he did need the seatbelt extender. He definitely would have blocked egress from the overwing exit.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI
(as if that even matters, no one is going to survive a crash anyway).
People quite often survive crashes and rely on getting out the emergency exits. Look at the Asiana crash at SFO a few years ago. Looking at the video you would think no once could survive. Only 3 people died.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:29 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I remember reading, can't remember where, FAs size up passengers and note where they are sitting; possible drunks, possible trouble, old and others that will be an issue in an emergency, and also those that are more physical for if they are needed as well.

I'd like to believe that the FAs still take their primary job, safety, seriously as on most American carriers service isn't one of them 😞, but I do enjoy my Alaska service 👍
Old May 27, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Baze
People quite often survive crashes and rely on getting out the emergency exits. Look at the Asiana crash at SFO a few years ago. Looking at the video you would think no once could survive. Only 3 people died.
Not trying to be argumentative; stating this up-front because written communication is weird that way.

So there is some data on this at https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-c...er/Tom-Farrier but also "How to Lie With Statistics" by Huff comes to mind.

So "people quite often survive" is technically correct.
163 accidents in 2016 and only 15% resulted in fatalities. It's not clear what exactly counts as accident. Collapsed front landing gear probably does but carries nearly zero practical risk for passengers when looking at the last few years when there were issues with the front gear. That's not a crash from where I am looking, it's a mishap during a landing, and arguably you don't even need the emergency exits to deplane.

Don't get me wrong, I sit in exit when in coach because I do want to increase my odds, I just don't believe that they are very good.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Baze
Agreed 1000x over. I'm sure it would be an easy figure to arrive at, but not having run the #'s, I can't base my opinion on facts. However, the Asiana crash and several others come to mind that the majority of pax survived, via proper emergency exiting.

Could this be a problem with a POS? Perhaps, but a lot of people do survive.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PandaMVP
Is there any sort of safety rule that a passenger of size who obviously would not fit through the overwing exit, not be allowed to sit in those rows?
There's a complete CFR on which Alaska must train its FAs, and which FAs must implement on-board.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.585
Old May 27, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by PandaMVP
Thanks for the information. That actually makes sense to me. On my recent flight, there was a very large person sitting in 17B who spilled way over into 17A and 17C. They were unbelted the whole flight, but the flight attendants actually did not notice, so he did need the seatbelt extender. He definitely would have blocked egress from the overwing exit.
Since that's a safety issue, you should have discreetly reported that to a FA, before takeoff, or whenever you noticed the issue. Why didn't you?
Old May 27, 2017, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Senior citizens is not the issue. There are healthy & strong 85 YOA and sick & weak 25 YOA.

This is a safety issue --- for you.

If you see someone who concerns you, say something to a FA.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ones that get me, and I have seen it more than once, are the people who board early with a cane or limp or whatever and when I get on they are in the exit row. And I see them get up and go to the bathroom with no sign of any impairment. So yes, they are capable of exit row duties, but why did the GA let them board with an exit row BP when they were so visibly impaired at the BP reader?

And I have seen where they are really impaired yet they sit in the exit row. I have said something to the FA in these cases, as I feel it is a safety issue, and been told not to worry. This was on UA but could have been any airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.