FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passengers of size and overwing exit seats
Old May 27, 2017, 4:29 pm
MeanwhileBackAtFAI

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Baze
People quite often survive crashes and rely on getting out the emergency exits. Look at the Asiana crash at SFO a few years ago. Looking at the video you would think no once could survive. Only 3 people died.
Not trying to be argumentative; stating this up-front because written communication is weird that way.

So there is some data on this at https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-c...er/Tom-Farrier but also "How to Lie With Statistics" by Huff comes to mind.

So "people quite often survive" is technically correct.
163 accidents in 2016 and only 15% resulted in fatalities. It's not clear what exactly counts as accident. Collapsed front landing gear probably does but carries nearly zero practical risk for passengers when looking at the last few years when there were issues with the front gear. That's not a crash from where I am looking, it's a mishap during a landing, and arguably you don't even need the emergency exits to deplane.

Don't get me wrong, I sit in exit when in coach because I do want to increase my odds, I just don't believe that they are very good.