Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guest upgrade availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Exit row is still a good experience. Sorry to hear about lack of U availability. Keep checking.

I personally have had good experience with U availability, with some flexibility on my part.

Agree that Hawaii is tough to find U class.
I fly to Hawaii pretty much monthly. It has been a bit more challenging but I've managed to find U every month right up until my last flight in Dec. I've had to adjust by a day sometimes and fly through various cities (SEA, PDX) but it's always there. I change my flights a lot as well and I still always find U.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
I must have hit the U availability lottery today. Was able to apply three of my GUS -- one on a one way BOS-SEA in June (already purchased), and two more on a round trip SEA-BNA-SEA in August (just happened to have U availability the exact dates I wanted to travel). Plus, I had an instant upgrade clear on a company-purchased BOS-SEA M fare in May. All today.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
I've been able to use mine generally well so far this year, though only one flight has been on the 12-seat F cabin -800. I'm surprised to be able to consistently find U space SEA-ORD on the dates I need (usually booking 30+ days in advance) and I just used GGUs for a May weekend in DC. DEN is hit or miss on U for me and always has been. I've found U tougher on west coast leisure routes like PSP and LAS at least for the times and dates I want.

I'll miss those cheap F fares on DL (or maybe just miss getting AS miles for them).
Old May 12, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: MVP G, UA G, American AAdvantage 1MM
I have a question regarding using guest upgrade certificates to First with regards to tickets

I understand that I have to apply a guest upgrade certificate when there is U availability. When I search for upgrade as MVP Gold, which ticket in the below example would I have to purchase to be able to use the upgrade certificate to move in to First?
Attached Images  
Old May 12, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by ajlowe444
I have a question regarding using guest upgrade certificates to First with regards to tickets

I understand that I have to apply a guest upgrade certificate when there is U availability. When I search for upgrade as MVP Gold, which ticket in the below example would I have to purchase to be able to use the upgrade certificate to move in to First?
The $430 first class upgrade. You'd have to consider whether using the GGU and saving $60 is worth giving up the paid F mileage bonus and being earlier on the list to get booted out of F if they need to move people for any reason. Also for paid F you'd get lounge access, but no lounge at KOA or SAN so that's moot. You should check the normal MVPG instant upgrade fares though; they may be the same as the GGU fare, in which case you'd get the upgrade and get to use your GGU on something else.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
The $430 first class upgrade. You'd have to consider whether using the GGU and saving $60 is worth giving up the paid F mileage bonus and being earlier on the list to get booted out of F if they need to move people for any reason. Also for paid F you'd get lounge access, but no lounge at KOA or SAN so that's moot. You should check the normal MVPG instant upgrade fares though; they may be the same as the GGU fare, in which case you'd get the upgrade and get to use your GGU on something else.
That search view is for the instant upgrades--GGU's aren't useful for Premium Class.

ajlowe444, select the "MVP Gold guest" upgrade type when searching, not "MVP Gold".
Old May 12, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
OP, as the poster above said, you searched using MVP Gold (instant) upgrade. If you tick the box for MVP Gold Guest upgrade, you will see it is only $260 for the class needed to apply a GGU. Look on the far left column of this:
Attached Images  
Old May 12, 2017, 5:18 pm

Thanks for the catch jinglish and Finkface. Getting $230 worth of value out of a GGU is a hell of a lot better than the $60 I originally thought he'd be getting.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Thanks for the catch jinglish and Finkface. Getting $230 worth of value out of a GGU is a hell of a lot better than the $60 I originally thought he'd be getting.
That's a great use of a GGU! Congrats.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
I just booked PDX-ORD in June. Coach was almost $600. First was $780. I paid for first.

No wonder there are almost no upgrades anymore. AS is offering first for a market based price and many are taking the deal. As an MVP four years ago I got upgrades on half my flights, In the last two years not a single upgrade. I'll make 75k this year and somehow doubt it will make much of a difference.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by drewcwsj
I just booked PDX-ORD in June. Coach was almost $600. First was $780. I paid for first.

No wonder there are almost no upgrades anymore. AS is offering first for a market based price and many are taking the deal. As an MVP four years ago I got upgrades on half my flights, In the last two years not a single upgrade. I'll make 75k this year and somehow doubt it will make much of a difference.
A small difference...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:22 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hello Everyone,

Friendly Reminder as it relates to offers for exhanges, barters of GGU. Please take these posts the Coupon Connection forum.

You will note that per the Flyertalk rules, posts of these kind are not allowed unless it exists within the Coupon Connection Forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#commercial

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Ryandc99, Alaska Airlines Moderator
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
*deleted*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.