Guest upgrade availability

Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
Guest upgrade availability

I'm wondering if anyone is having any luck using their guest upgrade e-certificates. Personally I've got ~50k miles on Alaska for 2017 and I haven't seen one eligible fare for me to burn a code on. These all are likely going to go to waste unless things loosen up the 2nd half of the year.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tbau
I'm wondering if anyone is having any luck using their guest upgrade e-certificates. Personally I've got ~50k miles on Alaska for 2017 and I haven't seen one eligible fare for me to burn a code on. These all are likely going to go to waste unless things loosen up the 2nd half of the year.
You can always search on the AS site for the lowest available GGU-eligible fare, or call in to upfare an existing reservation.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
You can always search on the AS site for the lowest available GGU-eligible fare, or call in to upfare an existing reservation.
I tried that yesterday for a trip in November. I can get from JNU to SEA in F, but from SEA on to FLL - no dice. Tried the mileage route, willing to cash in miles for A class. No go.

In any event, it's gotten a lot more difficult, esp. for transcons and the like.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by dave1013
it's gotten a lot more difficult, esp. for transcons and the like.
The greater difficulty is more evident on transcons and the like. AS sells a lot of F on those routes. And the switch to 12F on the -800s hasn't helped.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yeah, I burned one on a redeye SEA-ORD. If you're going to burn one, might as well be that kind of route...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I tried that yesterday for a trip in November. I can get from JNU to SEA in F, but from SEA on to FLL - no dice. Tried the mileage route, willing to cash in miles for A class. No go.

In any event, it's gotten a lot more difficult, esp. for transcons and the like.
I have found U space on PDX-EWR, SEA-IND, SEA-BNA....as for Florida, SEA-FLL has one of the worst U space availabilities in the system....you're better off looking at SEA-TPA....I generally book my flights based on U space availability...if it's a transcon and there is no U space, I don't book it.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
you're better off looking at SEA-TPA
Now the whole world knows
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
....as for Florida, SEA-FLL has one of the worst U space availabilities in the system....you're better off looking at SEA-TPA.....
or SEA-FLL. Just be prepared for a bit of a drive.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Nothing available to WAS for the next three months and I'm buying GGU fares. I'm waiting for September and beyond to use mine that will expire in 2017.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Welcome to all the new Alaska elites from VX who were granted status and flooded the market with GGUs
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mroseman13
Welcome to all the new Alaska elites from VX who were granted status and flooded the market with GGUs
I keep seeing related claims--that the VXers are taking all of our complimentary upgrades too, for example--but this doesn't make any sense. Who are all the SFO- and LAX-based VX elites suddenly connecting through SEA for transcons instead of flying direct like they have been for years?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I have found U space on PDX-EWR, SEA-IND, SEA-BNA....as for Florida, SEA-FLL has one of the worst U space availabilities in the system....you're better off looking at SEA-TPA....I generally book my flights based on U space availability...if it's a transcon and there is no U space, I don't book it.
Agreed, that is an option, but the ship sails from FLL and my decision was that I did not want to make the cross-state drive. So exit row it is.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Agreed, that is an option, but the ship sails from FLL and my decision was that I did not want to make the cross-state drive. So exit row it is.
Just FYI, but Silver Airways offers TPA-FLL and sometimes the fares are stupid cheap, like $39 one way...not sure if the schedules align to allow an 'easy' connection in TPA...but it's an option...

They also fly MCO-FLL...

Anyways, back on topic...the GGUs are a lot harder to use this year for sure, probably due to combinations of (1) more elites = more demand (2) reduction in F cabin space (3) more aggressive management of U (4) more paid F demand.

I haven't used any of my GGUs, but I've found U space on several transcons where I booked refundable award coach tickets and took the upgrade space based on the new MVPG benefit. I've also stumbled across a few low-level F awards and booked them.

Where I am seeing the biggest pinch on U space is to Hawaii. I am sitting on 4 GGUs and a companion fare trying to get a short weekend in the Islands at some point and aligning available U to personal schedule options has been impossible thusfar.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Exit row is still a good experience. Sorry to hear about lack of U availability. Keep checking.

I personally have had good experience with U availability, with some flexibility on my part.

Agree that Hawaii is tough to find U class.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Just FYI, but Silver Airways offers TPA-FLL and sometimes the fares are stupid cheap, like $39 one way...not sure if the schedules align to allow an 'easy' connection in TPA...but it's an option...

They also fly MCO-FLL...

Anyways, back on topic...the GGUs are a lot harder to use this year for sure, probably due to combinations of (1) more elites = more demand (2) reduction in F cabin space (3) more aggressive management of U (4) more paid F demand.

I haven't used any of my GGUs, but I've found U space on several transcons where I booked refundable award coach tickets and took the upgrade space based on the new MVPG benefit. I've also stumbled across a few low-level F awards and booked them.

Where I am seeing the biggest pinch on U space is to Hawaii. I am sitting on 4 GGUs and a companion fare trying to get a short weekend in the Islands at some point and aligning available U to personal schedule options has been impossible thusfar.
I couldn't believe it but I find TWO saver first (25K) awards on SEA-EWR for July! It's like looking for a needle in a haystack sometimes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.