Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expanded Service to EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kufat
The VX purchase is expected to close around the end of September, right? I assume they could share gates with VX without a common operating certificate, since entirely unrelated airlines can share a gate...but that's just my guess.
Late afternoon is also the busiest time at EWR for VX, and they need both their gates 5-6pm since they're operating to SFO and LAX almost simultaneously.

My guess is that AA has agreed to give up one of their gates, at least for late afternoon.

How do things work at ORD, where AS also occasionally needs a second gate from AA?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by quasihumanist
Late afternoon is also the busiest time at EWR for VX, and they need both their gates 5-6pm since they're operating to SFO and LAX almost simultaneously.

My guess is that AA has agreed to give up one of their gates, at least for late afternoon.

How do things work at ORD, where AS also occasionally needs a second gate from AA?
Sit and wait in the penalty box until the other flight pushes.

That's been my experience when AS138 arrives early
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
That daily r/t SEA->EWR should really ease some pressure on that route — it's packed full and upgrades are impossible. I like that the return to SEA leaves at 9:30 a.m., too — the current 7:00 and 7:15 (EWR and JFK) options are pretty rough when you have to get out to the airport from Midtown.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Bookings for 7/23 are not "poor". Not even a little. Not sure where you're getting your information but you're not correct.
+1 The the current TCon routes X: San are strong.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Accor Silver, AS/DL/Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by quasihumanist

AS only needs a second gate for whichever of the PDX/SJC flights doesn't use A30 since those two will arrive around the same time. Those flights will turn before the morning SEA flight arrives. The new SEA redeye is timed to arrive after the 7am SEA departure and SAN will arrive after the current ~530pm SEA departure.

Having gotten to EWR early sometimes, it didn't look like VX was using either of its two gates between 3pm and 430pm. Should be straightforward.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: Accor Silver, AS/DL/Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by martonikaj
That daily r/t SEA->EWR should really ease some pressure on that route — it's packed full and upgrades are impossible. I like that the return to SEA leaves at 9:30 a.m., too — the current 7:00 and 7:15 (EWR and JFK) options are pretty rough when you have to get out to the airport from Midtown.
Yeah, 930am at EWR allows you to take NJ Transit for $13 instead of whatever the cab ride is. I've been tempted to take the DL JFK-SEA flights sometimes because DL has so many more timing options.

Just when work is taking me away from NYC. Oh well.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by KSEA
Yeah, 930am at EWR allows you to take NJ Transit for $13 instead of whatever the cab ride is. I've been tempted to take the DL JFK-SEA flights sometimes because DL has so many more timing options.

Just when work is taking me away from NYC. Oh well.
Absolutely. The cab (and Uber is nearly the same) rides out to the airport are usually in the $80-90 range from most parts of Manhattan ... and you're going to sit in traffic. I much prefer taking NJT from Penn Station — a win on both fronts.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Or really anywhere else from NYC, too.

The three new PDX, SAN and SEA flights get three ^ from me! SJC I'm ambivalent about, but I'll definitely be flying the other routes a bit.

My credit card Companion Airfare benefit will really increase in value for me personally in 2017!

Originally Posted by martonikaj
...the current 7:00 and 7:15 (EWR and JFK) options are pretty rough when you have to get out to the airport from Midtown.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KSEA
The schedules may have changed again, but I've made the early EWR flight from the first NJT NE Corridor train of the morning. It's certainly not an enjoyable experience, however, especially when not staying within walking distance of Penn.

I'd switched to AA/DL out of JFK for the more convenient times and often substantially lower fares. Glad to see this addition helps solve the first issue, and if the second stays under control it'll lure me back to Newark.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by dayone
Wrong. Their hope is by the end of the year but 1Q17 is a possibility.
Actually, the deal close is expected to be completed by 01OCT16.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:28 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Actually, the deal close is expected to be completed by 01OCT16.
From the 2Q 2016 Earnings Press Release on July 21, 2016:

"transaction close, expected in the fourth quarter this year."
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
From the 2Q 2016 Earnings Press Release on July 21, 2016:

"transaction close, expected in the fourth quarter this year."
October 1 is fourth quarter.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Flights from PDX to EWR bookable today. Late year, early next year are running about $209 each way, and $364 for a confirmed U class Gold upgrade. Not bad, the coach fare is about $20 more than connecting, well worth it.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:08 pm

Hi -

And a GGU is only 209 OW. Decent way to use them up by year-end.

Now where is the Double miles promotion .....
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
$169 OW SAN-EWR, first to reserve seats for a family visit in early December.

No Saver award inventory for the Thursday flight (?), plenty for Sunday, upgrades look encouraging.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.