Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska flights to Mexico look expensive

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Alaska flights to Mexico look expensive

I've noticed that Alaska flights to Mexico are incredibly expensive from Seattle. $600 each way. Yikes. Has anybody else noticed this? Anybody know what's going on?
Old May 22, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
When and where are you looking to go?
I'm seeing SEA-LAX-GDL for $200 as early as tomorrow.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
I'm seeing many sub-$300 flights (OW).
Old May 22, 2016, 9:39 pm

I think your sample size needs to be expanded.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
My guess is that the OP is probably looking at travel dates during the holidays?
Old May 23, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If the OP wants to come back with origin and destination airports, cabin, target departure date and length of stay, maybe there are some search tools or alternative itins that can be offered.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AS
There have been some posts to Alaska Facebook page from flyers trying to book next year to Cabo during Springbreak. Many complaints that fares are significantly higher than in the past. They quote fares on United pricing out at almost half of Alaska. Alaska replies reflect policy of high demand, peak season fares. There seems to be a sense from many that discounted fares may be few and far between during high demand cycles on Alaska, going forward.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
There have been some posts to Alaska Facebook page from flyers trying to book next year to Cabo during Springbreak. Many complaints that fares are significantly higher than in the past. They quote fares on United pricing out at almost half of Alaska. Alaska replies reflect policy of high demand, peak season fares. There seems to be a sense from many that discounted fares may be few and far between during high demand cycles on Alaska, going forward.
Alaska does seem to do a "better" job at increasing fares during high-demand travel seasons...yep, it's annoying, but if I want to travel during those times and I usually do, I will either use miles (booked WAY in-advance) or find a different destination....for example, during Spring Break last March, I would have preferred Mexico or Hawaii, but the fares were too high so my wife and I went to Boston instead and had a great time. As a side note, with respect to Spring Break, the AS reservation system seems much more "clued in" to the dates of Spring Break than the bigger airlines like UA, DL, and AA which is why some other airlines are still offering lower fares during those dates.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by pcoll
This is nothing new for AS. Anyone who lives in AK and wants to fly out of the state during Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Spring Break weeks has seen fares at least double the normal market price.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, DL, Marriott, Hilton Honors Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
I noticed the same during the 3 weeks around Spring Break 2017 for PVR. I snagged a flight GEG-Portland-PVG on a Tuesday that went up in price from $297 to $587 the next day! Still have not found a price less than $587 for the return--except on Wednesdays, which will not work for me. I do not see many or any seats selling yet, so the fares may come down.
I did notice I could book an award in F, on the AS site, on Delta for 65k ff points round trip. Alaska's best F redemption is 70k each way for a total of 140k. Again GEG to PVR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.