Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
For Award Tickets, please see Consolidated JL award thread: Definitive Booking JL using AS Miles Thread [All Cabins]

It is possible to earn miles on JL now.

Awards are live, as of Dec. 6th, 2016 (not visible in the iOS app, but using the website at the moment). US/Canada to Asia and intra-Asia only. DEL is considered part of Asia. Stopovers are being allowed at the moment on intra-Asia flights involving TYO (NRT or HND) when pricing using the AS website. KIX stopovers or through routings do not seem to be allowed intra-Asia. KIX stopovers DO seem to work for ex-North America flights.

Flights to/from Hawaii can apparently be booked, but are not (yet) displayed on the award chart. Mileage costs are the same as those from the Continental U.S.

CGK is the only intra-Asia JL destination with F, if you are looking to "maximize" the award. JL has a number of 788 planes with slanty seat, last generation J, some of which fly from US destinations like YVR. You might wish to avoid those flights if you are "maximizing" your award.

Post #300 by yaychemistry has useful information on how the JL award booking process works.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Originally Posted by dayone
LAX-SYD offers second generation Skybeds, which are completely lie-flat and available on all A380 and the reconfigured 747s.
Hmmm... I must have been on an older 747 a few months back then. The seat I had was not completely lay flat.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by sturges
Does JAL plan on keeping the 2-4-2 in Y on the 788?
Right now, yes... JL see's the 2-4-2 and 34" (I think) as a competitive advantage, and there haven't been any indications that they are going to go mainstream 3-3-3.

I love it... what the 787 designers had originally intended. I almost wish they had made the fuselage just a few inches narrower so 3-3-3 would have been impossible, but still roomy at 2-4-2.
Old May 12, 2016, 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wearing my JL PJ's tonight on AS136 in celebration of the announced partnership
Old May 12, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The seat looks a lot like on HU in J except HU has a completely flat version on the 787. Even my seat on the train within china was 180degree flat. Wish angled flat would be completely phased out faster on all carriers.

Originally Posted by mrapollinax
Hmmm... I must have been on an older 747 a few months back then. The seat I had was not completely lay flat.
I hope I don't end up on the old version on my award,. I scored the coveted solo J seat LAX-JFK but at least its a short flight if there is a sub.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Any word when we can book awards on JL? Does anyone have a sense of how much availability JL opens?
Old May 12, 2016, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Any word when we can book awards on JL? Does anyone have a sense of how much availability JL opens?
Check out AA for availability.

Not sure when awards will launch.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by beckoa
Check out AA for availability.

Not sure when awards will launch.
AA doesn't display availability.

BA does.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Right now, yes... JL see's the 2-4-2 and 34" (I think) as a competitive advantage, and there haven't been any indications that they are going to go mainstream 3-3-3.

I love it... what the 787 designers had originally intended. I almost wish they had made the fuselage just a few inches narrower so 3-3-3 would have been impossible, but still roomy at 2-4-2.
I've done JL's 787 to YVR and they are very comfortable in coach, and yes its 2-4-2 and they intended it that way.

The service and food are top notch and I'd say that their service rivals if not even beats out CX.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
AA doesn't display availability.

BA does.
I like using JL's website for JL awards, but it does a bit of getting used to the search logic. What I like is it displays a large part of the calendar, so you can easily find alternate available dates, and how many seats are available.

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I've done JL's 787 to YVR and they are very comfortable in coach, and yes its 2-4-2 and they intended it that way.

The service and food are top notch and I'd say that their service rivals if not even beats out CX.
Absolutely, after my last trip on CX in December, I would rate JL as the best OW carrier transpac. CX has fallen far and fallen hard in terms of meals, and JL staff have always been more warm and welcoming (in my opinion, anyway). While CX's F seat is tops in the comparison, JL's F ain't shabby, and I might rate JL's J > CX's J, or if not at least equal (if different). JL and CX W are a wash, and JL 787 Y > JL 777 Y > CX Y.
Old May 15, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I have read a couple recent trip reports where the new, truly lie-flat seats were installed, so maybe they're moving quickly on the installs.
Yep all 789s have it already and some 788s. See link I posted upthread which provides a detailed schedule of all SS6, SS7, SS8, and SS9 (all SSX are lie flat J configs) routes for a given time period.

JL is also installing a new lie flat J on their 772s for intra-Asia flying. OMAAT had a nice write-up on it.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/03/23/japan-airlines-new-business-class/

Basically just avoid old style 788 J because it's awful, otherwise IMO both J and F are great (and I prefer them both over the equivalent CX offerings though I know people are on both sides of that debate).
Old May 15, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I like using JL's website for JL awards, but it does a bit of getting used to the search logic. What I like is it displays a large part of the calendar, so you can easily find alternate available dates, and how many seats are available.
Does JL make all award seats available to all partners?
Old May 15, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
. I know DL has threatened to pull this route due to the Haneda mess, but didn't realize it was official. I still think 50% credit on DL is better than 30% on JAL.
DL hasn't announced PDX-NRT is being discontinued. It's armchair CEO conjecture right now.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CDKing
Does JL make all award seats available to all partners?
I can't confirm that... just that every time I used JL's search, it's matched up with what AA sees. It's also good for sniffing out CX availability.
Old May 15, 2016, 9:44 pm

Will hnl nrt be available?
Old May 15, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by toolate
Will hnl nrt be available?
Who knows?

Historically, AS doesn't allow connections in Hawaii on a single award or using it as the international gateway, if you're thinking of trying SEA-HNL(stopover)-NRT... they do allow QF redemptions from HNL though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.