Wiki Posts
Search

New Delta Ad: "You can't stop Seattle"

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
Umm...lame. IMO.
+1. Only at the very end does DL get to the word Seattle...poor messaging from a marketing standpoint.

As for their stepped up service, my recent AMS-SEA flight was very disappointing. Meal service was very rushed and then hours went by with no FA's in the Delta One cabin on an all daylight flight (12:50PM departure-2:30PM arrival).
Old May 2, 2016, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by QXflyer
Exactly. Although AS is a business, it is still made up of thousands of people who are dedicated to the Pacific NW. If Seattle became less profitable, they wouldn't just up and leave.
I think the shareholders wouldn't be thrilled if management didn't deploy its resources in a way that is in the best interest of the shareholders (for what amounts to sentimental reasons).

I don't think there is any significant risk that AS will any time soon face a situation where they would just "pick up and leave", but they aren't a charity for the benefit of the people of Seattle or the PNW.

And Delta, too, has local PNW employees, I believe.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
New Delta Ad: "You can't stop Seattle"
Obviously written by some nimrod who has never been here, or who just plopped down, took the duckboat tour, and cheerfully proclaims themselves a local expert (like most of the recent arrivals).

Anyone who actually lives here knows you certainly can "stop Seattle" and it's quite easy to do - sometimes all it takes is just a pipe or a rock. Anyone who has tried to drive anywhere since last Friday knows it painfully well.

Idiots.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Who will be the first laid off when things go south ( pun intended) and others with more seniority bid them out of a job.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:32 pm

I think the shareholders wouldn't be thrilled if management didn't deploy its resources in a way that is in the best interest of the shareholders (for what amounts to sentimental reasons).

I don't think there is any significant risk that AS will any time soon face a situation where they would just "pick up and leave", but they aren't a charity for the benefit of the people of Seattle or the PNW.

I agree that the shareholders wouldn't be thrilled if management didn't deploy their resources wisely. That said, you're not going to see AA leaving DFW anytime soon. UA isn't leaving ORD and DL isn't leaving ATL. AS isn't leaving SEA either. I don't see a scenario where AS would make SEA secondary to any other city in their system. DL, on the other hand, can pull back to the same type of operation they have in MEM and CVG. Flights to all the hubs with a few additional flights to some larger cities. It's not out of the realm of possibility. I think, as long as AS is in business you're going to see it's primary focus city/hub in SEA. The Sea-Tac airport stands to lost a lot more by AS pulling up stakes and leaving then if DL does. And the likelihood of DL scaling back, while slim, is far greater than AS doing same.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
I understand that there will be biases on an Alaska Airline forum, but wow, this is a lot of anger for an innocuous commercial. Seattle is a growing city with tremendous vitality. As the commercial say, it is a good place for both Asia and European travel. Finally, while my heart is always with Alaska Air, the creation of a new international hub is great the for the city and we didn't even need to bribe them with incentives.

For those who love flying internationally, wait a few years when United or American start giving deep discounts from their competitor's hubs. We really might benefit. (My hope is fly American in discounted business and get more Alaska miles)
Old May 3, 2016, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
Who will be the first laid off when things go south ( pun intended) and others with more seniority bid them out of a job.
Did you know Delta gives first pick for jobs to employees who work in a downsizing airport, above everyone else regardless of their seniority?

And Delta frontline staff don't need a union for that
Old May 3, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Of course Alaska is a business but Seattle is their home. It has been for a very, very long time. I do think they have an allegiance to Seattle that Delta doesn't - though they say they do. I also think that Alaska operates a little differently, but the fundamentals are still the same. When I say that, I'm referring primarily to their operations in the state of Alaska. Alaska is firmly committed to the state of Alaska in a way that I've not seen any other airline behave elsewhere.
Absolutely! Well said, AS Flyer.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I agree that the shareholders wouldn't be thrilled if management didn't deploy their resources wisely. That said, you're not going to see AA leaving DFW anytime soon. UA isn't leaving ORD and DL isn't leaving ATL. AS isn't leaving SEA either. I don't see a scenario where AS would make SEA secondary to any other city in their system. DL, on the other hand, can pull back to the same type of operation they have in MEM and CVG. Flights to all the hubs with a few additional flights to some larger cities. It's not out of the realm of possibility. I think, as long as AS is in business you're going to see it's primary focus city/hub in SEA. The Sea-Tac airport stands to lost a lot more by AS pulling up stakes and leaving then if DL does. And the likelihood of DL scaling back, while slim, is far greater than AS doing same.
I don't see AS leaving SEA either. If they do, it's because they are going out of business.

That said, I don't look at advertising or marketing messages from any company and believe that what is said is really what the company really "thinks" or "believes". So criticizing Delta for this advert seems (to me) a bit silly. It may not be a very effective ad, but I'd like to think that no ad really influences how I think about a company (or spend my money). Maybe I am too optimistic?

Companies are giving the appearance of being loyal to a region / city until it is to their advantage to change their mind. Paging Boeing.

Or another example: Alaska Airlines will be "Proudly all Boeing" until it's to their advantage to not be all Boeing.

I don't fly Alaska Airlines because I think they care about the PNW. I fly them because they usually offer the best product for me (considering factors such as routes, schedules, MileagePlan features).
Old May 3, 2016, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
Did you know Delta gives first pick for jobs to employees who work in a downsizing airport, above everyone else regardless of their seniority?

And Delta frontline staff don't need a union for that
Most airlines will offer opportunities to those that are being affected by a station closure or downsizing. Union or not. Delta front line staff don't need a union for that but they have absolutely no assurance that the company will hold true to their promise. I remember when DL used to say that they had a "no furlough" policy - back in the 80's. That lasted until it they needed to furlough. They also had a policy of not requiring new hire Flight Attendants to go to the NYC base directly from training. That lasted until they could no longer honor that promise. Things change at DL when management feels like changing them.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:02 pm

That said, I don't look at advertising or marketing messages from any company and believe that what is said is really what the company really "thinks" or "believes". So criticizing Delta for this advert seems (to me) a bit silly. It may not be a very effective ad, but I'd like to think that no ad really influences how I think about a company (or spend my money). Maybe I am too optimistic?

Companies are giving the appearance of being loyal to a region / city until it is to their advantage to change their mind. Paging Boeing.

Or another example: Alaska Airlines will be "Proudly all Boeing" until it's to their advantage to not be all Boeing.

I don't fly Alaska Airlines because I think they care about the PNW. I fly them because they usually offer the best product for me (considering factors such as routes, schedules, MileagePlan features).
agreed 100%
Old May 3, 2016, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
I don't think we can really fault them for this until it comes time to order new planes. At this point, AS has only ordered Boeing in the last years.

Additionally, while people may not choose AS because of the company's loyalty to the PNW, it it certainly a contributing factor--perhaps small-- for some customers.

Last edited by QXflyer; May 3, 2016 at 8:15 pm
Old May 3, 2016, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by convert
I understand that there will be biases on an Alaska Airline forum, but wow, this is a lot of anger for an innocuous commercial.
I don't know if id call it anger, at least on my part, but I certainly don't have a lot of good feelings towards Delta, and I think its really come down to the way they're dealing with their Seattle expansion.

While I realize competition is good, I had a Delta employee in BOS straight-up tell me that DL was going to crush Alaska and that AS was a useless bush airline that Delta would dominate after I told them I was an AS MVP.

If this is any indication (which I realize it might not be) Delta isn't exactly pushing friendship and happiness either.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
That lasted until they could no longer honor that promise. Things change at DL when management feels like changing them.
Kind of like AS's policy on giving 30 days notice on award changes...until they decide not to and change a popular award with no notice or grace period, even for statused frequent flyers of the airline?
Old May 3, 2016, 11:20 pm

Delta isn't exactly pushing friendship and happiness either.
Under Richard Anderson, DL=Hubris in the extreme and his attitude has infected all levels of DL. Hubris kills from the inside, by its' own nature. One can only hope that the new management at DL steps back from a really, really expensive "Battle for Seattle" and comes to an agreement that helps DL and AS in the long run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.