Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Delta Ad: "You can't stop Seattle"

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
This reminds me of a southern saying, that I like to think of when Delta touts its Seattle hub. "You're not from around here, are you?" A transplanted Californian in North Carolina assured me it is not a polite thing, even with a smile.

But as long as you bless them, it's okay. Dickie Anderson was a snively, whining sh**, bless his heart.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:39 pm

Can't wait to see the Russell Wilson AS airline ad that plays in Atlanta! Please make sure and post that one up when it comes out.

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2016, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Why are you trolling the AS forum anyway? Just curious. I don't go to the DL forum to complain about the things I dislike about DL. You're not even an AS customer, you're a DL (or DGS?) employee.
I think it's something delta teaches their employees to do. I was in Boston recently and when a DL baggage handler spotted my luggage tags they struck up a conversation with me about the battle for Seattle. It got heated quickly, and basically ended with the agent telling me that the mighty delta would undoubtedly crush "Podunk Alaska Airways." I promptly removed myself from the situation.

Additionally, deltas own website says "pax should be checked in at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure time."(not 20 as some say in this thread) Having someone at the bag drop desk isn't going to help anyone get on a missed flight.

If a passenger does end up finding an empty bag drop desk (which does happen at some QX outstations) they are usually directed to call the 1-800 number. If anything, this removes the ridiculous "oh please would you bend the rules and hold the plane for me" step, and productively gets passengers rebooked.

Last edited by QXflyer; May 9, 2016 at 11:17 pm
Old May 9, 2016, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets
I never complained about Alaska until someone made a dumb comment about an objective statement I made here.
Woah, that's agressive and rude. Honestly if I were you I'd hope DL doesn't know your handle, as your poor manners are certainly doing the brand a disservice.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by QXflyer
Woah, that's agressive and rude. Honestly if I were you I'd hope DL doesn't know your handle, as your poor manners are certainly doing the brand a disservice.
I don't think that's aggressive or rude. Delta does claim to be Seattle's global airline and Atlanta's hometown airline. Alaska is Seattle's hometown airline. Reading through the thread again, people here seem to disagree about that fact. My pointing that out doesn't make me rude. My personal opinions do not reflect Delta, and as a frequent revenue flyer, I think I'm free to say what I want.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Widgets
Without discounting the amazing customer service Alaska offers, it is less than 20% the size of Delta with most flights operating in the PNW. It's no surprise to me that the smallest airlines: AS, VX, B6 usually beat the largest airlines in customer service. There's a logistical difference between getting someone from SEA to ANC and getting them from SEA to JNB. I love Alaska. Big picture, Alaska employees are friendlier and more helpful than Delta people. However, I do get tired of being Alaska's free labor when they literally take longer than an hour to help customers at their ticket counter who either miss a flight or need baggage service.

Edit: By the way, the baggage service thing isn't rare at least where I work. Most days each week, Alaska customers come into my break room and (usually) politely ask for help. Sometimes I make them wait the 40 minutes for their bags that are already here, and sometimes I go get it for them. Either way, Horizon wouldn't piss off the customers that I make wait if they would just staff a single person at the baggage service office before 40 minutes after arrival.

You know it's people like you that give airlines a bad rap. Your post reflects the arrogance of a 'union' employee and or someone that just has an issue with people. I sincerely wish one could forward your post to the airline yo work for, probably DL. Anyway your taking up space here.
Old May 11, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
You know it's people like you that give airlines a bad rap. Your post reflects the arrogance of a 'union' employee and or someone that just has an issue with people. I sincerely wish one could forward your post to the airline yo work for, probably DL. Anyway your taking up space here.
actually, I think s/he is a non-union employee. I'm a union employee, but I have a strong work ethic and I fully realize the union isn't signing my paycheck. I feel invested in my company and am proud of who I work for... even if I don't always agree with every decision that is made. I feel empowered to question the decisions but at the end of the day, I wasn't hired to be the decision maker. I appreciate that our senior management team has made many good decisions over the years that have made us very successful. All that to say, I think that union employees can be good employees and providers of customer service as well. Anyway, I've gotten way off track. I agree that this person is trolling this forum for some reason.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
actually, I think s/he is a non-union employee. I'm a union employee, but I have a strong work ethic and I fully realize the union isn't signing my paycheck. I feel invested in my company and am proud of who I work for... even if I don't always agree with every decision that is made. I feel empowered to question the decisions but at the end of the day, I wasn't hired to be the decision maker. I appreciate that our senior management team has made many good decisions over the years that have made us very successful. All that to say, I think that union employees can be good employees and providers of customer service as well. Anyway, I've gotten way off track. I agree that this person is trolling this forum for some reason.

Just because a person is a member of the union does not make them the perfect employee nor does it mean that if you are non union your standards are automatically less. I am an employer of union and non union trades and there are good and bad in each. Let's center this on that particular employee.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Let's center this on that particular employee.
Or better yet, get back to the original topic of this thread.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
Or better yet, get back to the original topic of this thread.
great point. Hey they ran a targeted ad for international travelers, fair enough let's all move on.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Back to the tunneling....

I was in Seattle last weekend. With careful navigation by GPS, was never really badly inconvenienced by traffic. Phew!
Old May 12, 2016, 7:00 pm

[QUOTE=QXflyer;26588345]Honestly I've flow DL about twice now, but all of their Seattle team seem to be on it when it comes to customer service. Their new 737 product is also pretty flash. The blankets are also really nice.

90% of my travel is on DL and the other 10% on AS. I think that is the first time I have ever someone mention that DL's new 737 is anything other than awful. The 739 is universally hated by all, along with the CRJs. The rest of DL's fleet is at least good and sometimes great. DL has outstanding customer service everywhere, not just SEA.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by The Situation
90% of my travel is on DL and the other 10% on AS. I think that is the first time I have ever someone mention that DL's new 737 is anything other than awful. The 739 is universally hated by all, along with the CRJs. The rest of DL's fleet is at least good and sometimes great. DL has outstanding customer service everywhere, not just SEA.

What's wrong with the 739?

It has PTV's, so it's ahead of AS in terms of amenit-eye.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Delta's plan: Build up a hub at SEA while maintaining hubs across the US (and Europe/Asia) and producing a truly global airline.

Alaska's plan: Ignore the US East Coast (Except for a couple flights here and there to SEA, PDX, SAN) and a hostile takeover of a competitor airline and destroy it's fleet, routes, and service just so they can wipe out a competitor while still complaining about "the big bully Delta"

I think we can see a clear winner in terms of morals and business strategies.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airplanegod
Alaska's plan: Ignore the US East Coast (Except for a couple flights here and there to SEA, PDX, SAN) and a hostile takeover of a competitor airline and destroy it's fleet, routes, and service just so they can wipe out a competitor while still complaining about "the big bully Delta"
Sounds like someones a little bitter.

Just so were all on the same page, ASVX was in no way a hostile takeover. Lots of people at VX (especially the inve$tors) were VERY happy with the AS takeover.

Additionally, I think you'll find that you didnt quite describe Alaska's strategy accurately. As of now (as far as we know), AAGs plans do not include: ignoring the east coast, destroying Virgin's fleet, destroying their routes, or destroying their service--in fact, the opposite has been said by Tilden and Werner. But hey, don't let me stop your little little bout of loathing.

Additionally, Alaska does no complaining about "the big bully Delta." AS can stand of themselves, and that shows in the 'battle for Seattle,' where they capture more of Seattle's domestic growth than DL, or in their 9 JD Power awards which Delta has been unable to capture.

While DL has good business strategies, they are not comparable to Alaska; it is far to early to call DL a "winner" in Seattle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.