Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

"Insight Community" Research Surveys / Responses and Comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Did you get accepted into the AS "Insight Community"?
Yes!
54.29%
No, I waitlisted.
31.43%
No, I did the survey but skipped the waitlist.
0%
I did not do the survey.
8.57%
Waitist Cleared!
5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

"Insight Community" Research Surveys / Responses and Comments

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I wasn't offended by the 5,000 for flights 700 miles or less. That's nearly the old Avios redemption rate.

The rest were silly.

Neil
Old May 4, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
What I've missed in the last two surveys are the open-ended responses where they have typically asked "Is there anything else about ___ that you'd like to share with us or feel could be improved?" (or, something to that effect).

I don't think they asked the right questions on the hot food in coach.

For the miles, where is the question or the space that allowed me to convey my immense frustration at the lack of saver space award travel for Int'l F or J partner redemptions? I would have loved an open-ended response on that, as I have much to share with AS in that regard.

Never will I redeem miles for food, or lounge membership, nor hotels. I'm a bit simple/traditional that way, I suppose, but int'l partner redemptions are where the best values are.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer

For the miles, where is the question or the space that allowed me to convey my immense frustration at the lack of saver space award travel for Int'l F or J partner redemptions? I would have loved an open-ended response on that, as I have much to share with AS in that regard.

Never will I redeem miles for food, or lounge membership, nor hotels. I'm a bit simple/traditional that way, I suppose, but int'l partner redemptions are where the best values are.
What exactly is Alaska supposed to do other than go "there, there" and make soothing noises when you vent?

Alaska: please give us more partner international J/F awards, sir. Along with more gruel. Our members who spend miles on international J/F because they're FlyerTalkers (some tiny percentage of our user base) demand action from us and they are unhappy.

(holds cap in hands like Oliver Twist)

Partner: Go pound sand and scamper off. Why would we give your loyalty program members anything we don't want to give our own loyalty program members? It's not OUR job to make YOUR loyalty program members happy. That's YOUR job. So quit bugging us and go do your job.

I mean, really, Alaska has zero power in this equation. They offer zero, nil, null, not any, goose egg longhaul international J/F to their partners. They are entirely dependent on what partners give them to offer to MP members. So what would they do, threaten to drop AA as a partner unless AA loosens the kimono on SAAver? AF? Who do you think gets the short end of the stick in all that if the partner goes "OK, sure, we'll drop the partnership and go to an interline relationship like you have with DL"?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 4, 2017 at 2:14 pm
Old May 5, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
So after months of surveying and poring over responses, the one change I have noticed is...

...AS is now calling it the Famous Companion Fare!
And the new name is trademarked.

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa...true&sc=VACTJG
Old May 17, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AS, HH, UA, IHG
Another food survey but with a gem at the end. Only one word needed to make Alaska the beverage leader - Glenlivet!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS
New survey today
Looking at how much was spent on last leisure fare.
Asked to identify airlines selected for leisure travel and ranking them
Pretty short.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:35 am
Suspended

Got a survey yesterday about booking partner awards. Asked how I rated the award search and booking process, if I did book in the end and with which airline.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
Got a survey yesterday about booking partner awards. Asked how I rated the award search and booking process, if I did book in the end and with which airline.
I got the same one. I truthfully responded that I didn't book anything, because I eventually got tired of waiting for the website to spit out a result.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by quemalo
I got the same one. I truthfully responded that I didn't book anything, because I eventually got tired of waiting for the website to spit out a result.
I truthfuly responded that I DID get the exact flights I wanted and booked them (one online, one by phone).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Yikes, didn't get this one. Too bad for AS since lately I've been booking up a ton of award flights, using Companion Passes, etc. Would have given them high marks for availability on low-density routes.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
today, I received a dubious, very long survey today asking a lot of questions about the FF program and what motivates me about being an FFP elite member, how much I spend on tickets, how much I spend on my AS credit card, and offering at least 4-5 hypothetical, detailed models of "which ticket would you buy for a 5 hour nonstop flight"...with various prices, points earned, point values, upgrade opportunities, and associated benefits.

it was a poorly written survey IMO especially the part about buying tickets. worse, it very much felt like a survey scoping a spend-based FFP.

there was also a question about whether i would be interested in a "different AS card that offers an enhanced level of benefits for a higher annual fee".

overall, the survey left me feeling very uneasy about the future of the AS FFP and I wouldn't be surprised to see AS implementing a spend based FFP sooner rather than later, based solely on the tenor of the survey.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

it was a poorly written survey IMO especially the part about buying tickets. worse, it very much felt like a survey scoping a spend-based FFP.
My exact thought, too.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:48 am

I agree. I gave up - it said it would take 20 minutes, but it was taking way longer, the questions were poorly written, and it just couldn't hold my attention.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G

there was also a question about whether i would be interested in a "different AS card that offers an enhanced level of benefits for a higher annual fee".
Originally Posted by dave1013
My exact thought, too.
Me three.

Too many of the questions had answers where I would have preferred "None of the Above" over the choices given, or at least gave me an opportunity to give a different answer.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:56 pm
Suspended

today, I received a dubious, very long survey today asking a lot of questions about the FF program and what motivates me about being an FFP elite member, how much I spend on tickets, how much I spend on my AS credit card, and offering at least 4-5 hypothetical, detailed models of "which ticket would you buy for a 5 hour nonstop flight"...with various prices, points earned, point values, upgrade opportunities, and associated benefits.

overall, the survey left me feeling very uneasy about the future of the AS FFP and I wouldn't be surprised to see AS implementing a spend based FFP sooner rather than later, based solely on the tenor of the survey.
In the Land of Spend, it is very hard to hold out as the King of Mileage. Especially if you are a generous one. I think a spend-based program will eventually come. The AS beancounters demand it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.