Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BoA AS Visa - No ForEx Fees Starting "2Q16"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BoA AS Visa - No ForEx Fees Starting "2Q16"?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by fishywang
Why would you make the purchase in USD instead of GBP? DCC[1] is likely worse than foreign transaction fee.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynami...ncy_conversion
Yeah, I realized that the exchange rate was a bit higher immediately after I hit the button, but thankfully it was a small purchase and only a slight difference--only a few cents extra USD per GBP, as opposed to about ten last night when my bartender selected USD without asking.

Anyway, I can confirm that none of my posted charges from the 18th on have accompanying foreign transaction fees.
Old May 31, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Originally Posted by jinglish
Anyway, I can confirm that none of my posted charges from the 18th on have accompanying foreign transaction fees.
My Canadian charge went through without a foreign transaction fee as well. Great news.
Old May 31, 2016, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I called and they said it was effective 5/17.

I may put through a small test charge to see what happens.
I still stand by my earlier statement...this is really a big news type of benefit that's totally being underplayed (thus far)....I still wouldn't plan to make it my card of choice overseas for a few months.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Great news as this card plays well with Android Pay/Samsung Pay for bopping around countries with high contactless (NFC) saturation, instead of having to sign for absolutely everything.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Press release just went out, this is official as of today, including the 30k sign-up bonus.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....cle&ID=2174119

Neil
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA1K
wish i could get an additional 5k miles since i signed up in october. oh well.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missamo80
Press release just went out, this is official as of today, including the 30k sign-up bonus.

Neil
Interesting to note that the 30,000 miles is awarded after "qualified spending" which is not specified. Previously, you just needed to be approved to get the 25,000 miles.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Interesting to note that the 30,000 miles is awarded after "qualified spending" which is not specified. Previously, you just needed to be approved to get the 25,000 miles.
It's a 1,000 spend in 90 days.

Enjoy these benefits with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card.
  • 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days.
  • Annual companion fare from $121 ($99, plus taxes and fees from $22) after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening. There are no blackout dates.
  • Free checked bag for you and up to six other passengers on the same reservation.
  • 3 miles for every $1 spent on Alaska Airlines tickets, vacation packages, cargo and in-flight purchases.
  • 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • No foreign transaction fees, plus chip enabled for enhanced security when used at chip-enabled terminals.

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa..._tnt=74294:7:0
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobNed
It's a 1,000 spend in 90 days.

Enjoy these benefits with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card.
  • 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days.
  • Annual companion fare from $121 ($99, plus taxes and fees from $22) after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening. There are no blackout dates.
  • Free checked bag for you and up to six other passengers on the same reservation.
  • 3 miles for every $1 spent on Alaska Airlines tickets, vacation packages, cargo and in-flight purchases.
  • 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • No foreign transaction fees, plus chip enabled for enhanced security when used at chip-enabled terminals.

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa..._tnt=74294:7:0
The glaring difference compared to the UA/AA/DL versions is that the first year annual fee is not waived.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
The glaring difference compared to the UA/AA/DL versions is that the first year annual fee is not waived.
Seriously asking: Do those other cards offer companion tickets? That's a pretty big benefit, in my opinion. Especially since it has very few restrictions. I got a few from US Airways / American in years past, and they were always difficult to use. And now even if a card offers it, it always seems to require 20-30k of yearly spending.

Also, the version at checkout on alaskaair.com includes a $100 statement credit. Doesn't that effectively waive the annual fee and then some?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Calculon
Also, the version at checkout on alaskaair.com includes a $100 statement credit. Doesn't that effectively waive the annual fee and then some?
Is that still the case with the new card rollout today?

Neil
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Is that still the case with the new card rollout today?

Neil
It was when I purchased tickets two hours ago. 30k and a statement credit.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Nice!

Neil
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Companion cert with no annual spend requirement is something that AS has and others have gotten rid of. Also its not capacity controlled like others. Main reason to keep it around is to cut down on churners although adding a 24 month churn cap like the other carriers would be a better idea.

Lets see my US Air Barclay Card (which did not have 1st year free) went to a $30K minimum spend for Companion Cert.

For DL I don't see a waiver of the $195 annual fee (the lowest version with a companion cert. Also unless thing have changed limited to the cheapest fares

AAdvantage card requires 30K annual spend for companion cert.

I don't see an annual fee waiver on the United cards or companion cert. Just 2 club passes.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold

Neil
Fantastic, can't wait to use it this summer!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.