Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BoA AS Visa - No ForEx Fees Starting "2Q16"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Silver

At the December 3, 2015 Investor Day, it was mentioned, almost in passing, that the BoA AS Visa would have no foreign transaction fees (see page 66):
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ventId=5212772
A footnote in the presentation mentions that "New benefits for members start 2Q16."

It is pretty close to the beginning of 2Q16 and BoA reps seem to know nothing about this. Does anyone have any updated info on this? It is still going to be an added benefit?

I have some upcoming travel and would love to be able to use my card, but would only want to do so without the ForEx fees.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
Haven't heard anything about that ... would be a pretty huge perk. I currently don't use the card abroad because of BofA's crazy fee — I switch to my credit union card with a flat 1% fee.

All of BofA's other standard credit cards have the same 3% fee as the AS card, so this would be a nice departure. The only way to improve on that is to get one of BofA's travel-focused rewards cards, which I believe has 1% foreign transaction fee and other benefits.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I don't believe the new cards roll out until May, including the new 30k sign-up bonus and the no foreign transaction fee.

Neil
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missamo80
I don't believe the new cards roll out until May, including the new 30k sign-up bonus and the no foreign transaction fee.

Neil
Where did you hear May - or is that just a guess?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by missamo80

Neil
So it won't apply to existing cards?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I wish I knew where I remembered hearing May, but I swear I heard it. Basically, treat my statement as if you heard it from a flight attendant...

The no foreign fee should apply to existing cards too. When I said "new" I meant "new with 30k bonus". That's what I'm waiting for

Neil
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I've been close to dumping my BofA card, but this will definitely make me keep it if it's true.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
30k bonus you say...
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:59 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I read today that the 3% foreign exchange fee will go away as of June 1st.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by fti
I read today
in...
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by fti
I read today that the 3% foreign exchange fee will go away as of June 1st.
Of course it happens two days after I fly back from the UK.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:21 am
Original Poster

I found a little more info on this (via past Doctor of Credit article). In an SEC filing (see link below - bottom of page 6), AS mentions the increase to a 30K sign up bonus is "expected" in May 2016.

More to the point of this thread, on page 19 there is a reference to the following (bolding mine):
"Reached a new long term agreement with Bank of America for the Alaska Airlines Visa credit card. The new agreement adds customer benefits, such as no foreign transaction fees, and is expected to generate an incremental $60 million of revenue in 2016."

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....Umc3Vic2lkPTU3
Old May 18, 2016, 7:34 pm

If you read the "Terms & Conditions" section on this page, it says no fees for foreign transactions.
https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go

This is such a big change, to me at least. I didn't even know about this. So then why are they only mentioning it in fine print, and not as a bullet point on their main page? (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...signature.aspx)

As someone else asked upthread, I too wonder if applies to existing cards.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by evergrn
If you read the "Terms & Conditions" section on this page, it says no fees for foreign transactions.
https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go

This is such a big change, to me at least. I didn't even know about this. So then why are they only mentioning it in fine print, and not as a bullet point on their main page? (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...signature.aspx)

As someone else asked upthread, I too wonder if applies to existing cards.
Interesting, Other banks send me a notice when the international fee was dropped
Old May 18, 2016, 8:04 pm

I just looked all over the site for my card and couldn't find anything about these fees either way. I did search and it took me to a list of cards with no foreign transaction fees and the AS Visa was not on the list. Looks like I may have to shoot them an email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.