Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Rollover 2016 miles into 2017 for elite status (email from Alaska Air)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rollover 2016 miles into 2017 for elite status (email from Alaska Air)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Basically means than any time I spent on AS planes after reaching my threshold is worth less than if I had rollover.
But you never *had* rollover, so how can your time on AS post-qualification be worth less now than it was a week ago? You, personally, have lost nothing.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
No mail for me. I hit MVPG for 2015 almost exactly and only had a few hundred miles that were left unused. Guess they're targeting people who tend to have more slop?

Neil
In theory they'd be targeting people who had less slop, and who qualified fairly early. Those with a lot of slop - they're doing exactly what AS wants, so why give them a bonus for continuing to do the same thing? It's the ones who qualified early and then (apparently) started flying another carrier with AS status secured who they'd want to woo with a bonus.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Calculon
But you never *had* rollover, so how can your time on AS post-qualification be worth less now than it was a week ago? You, personally, have lost nothing.
It's true that I didn't lose anything compared to what I had before, but in comparison to those who did get rollover miles my travel (loyalty) is now potentially worth less in benefits.

It's certainly Alaska's right to not treat every customer equally, but it's my right to feel unhappy about it and gripe about it on FT

I guess what I am saying is that I like predictable documented benefits, not random giveaways/promos with no discernible selection criteria. Imagine they used a "targeted promotion" approach for F upgrades, instead of status-level based upgrade windows....
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Imagine they used a "targeted promotion" approach for F upgrades, instead of status-level based upgrade windows....
Don't give them any ideas.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I think the "cushion" theory is correct.

I make MVPG every year with a nice cushion. No rollover email for me.

90% AS metal typically.

Last edited by sea_jeff; Feb 9, 2016 at 7:11 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
missydarlin, with your inside track is there any possibility AS will send out a second wave of eligibility somewhere between now and the end of the year? We currently have our 40,000 booked up for 2016, and if any unexpected trips need to be booked I don't want to book them somewhere that can't be changed to the AS mileage plan. But if there is no hope I'll book wherever I can get the best price.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
No email for me: 130,000 EQMs in 2015, ~100k on AS Metal. It doesn't really bother me to be honest- they can target whomever they want.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
So this seems to have died a quiet death. I am still fairly peeved at no getting this email as I typically have a bunch of excess miles every year that I feel are 'wasted' as I can't use them for status. Any new insight as to if AS will do the right thing and extend this to all their elites and not just the select few that were targeted?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
So this seems to have died a quiet death. I am still fairly peeved at no getting this email as I typically have a bunch of excess miles every year that I feel are 'wasted' as I can't use them for status. Any new insight as to if AS will do the right thing and extend this to all their elites and not just the select few that were targeted?
Curious... why would this be "doing the right thing"?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:57 pm

Last year they had few if any DEQM promotions at all that I recall (as opposed to 2014 when there were a ton). This would be a nice way to give those of us who made the grade anyway in 2015 a nice little boost into 2017 without giving away the store to just anyone.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Calculon
Curious... why would this be "doing the right thing"?
How is it doing the right thing by giving a fairly valuable perk to only a chosen few of your elite members? Giving perks to those who have earned a level of status and not to those who haven't is one thing. But to give a perk to a segment of your best customers who are otherwise equal in status is divisive and does nothing but foster ill will in those who were not offered it. Not a smart move in my books.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:13 pm

I'm really torn about this whole issue.

I think a company has a right do whatever it wants.

If the OP had never spilled the beans, most of us would have no idea this possibility existed.

But ...my strongest feeling is that I agree with Finkface...some elites are more elite than others?

I'm equating it to the ubiquitous bonus programs hotels have to lure and keep their best customers - double bonus points here, free night there, usually open to all who belong to their programs.

It would be nice to at least know why those chosen were targeted so as to better position ourselves for the next offer.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
They probably targeted people randomly. This may be their way of field testing this as a benefit that would be expanded to all members in the future if successful.

However, I hope this isn't successful if this benefit means taking away other elite perks or adding extra hurdles to reach elite status.

As much as I wish I were targeted for this, I am happy that Alaska already has what I consider to be the most rewarding ff program - at least based on my flying habits.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I think a company has a right do whatever it wants.

If the OP had never spilled the beans, most of us would have no idea this possibility existed.

But ...my strongest feeling is that I agree with Finkface...some elites are more elite than others?
Yes, the company has the right to do what they want.

I have the right not to like it and take it into consideration in my choice of travel providers

AS explains this on the promo page as follows:

"Here’s another reason to choose Alaska for all your 2016 flying – the trips you take this year can help you hold on to your elite status and benefits even longer."

I guess being not selected thus means I don't have another reason to choose Alaska (I might still if it's otherwise beneficial to me, of course).

As I said above, in this day and age you really can't make such an offer to a subset of your customer base and not expect others to become aware of it. We may certainly be just a small fraction of AS customers here on FT, but some blogs have, of course, picked it up (probably from here), too.

If it's a trial (likely, IMO), I would hope that it is successful. No reason to assume that it will come at a cost (removal of other benefits) vs just being a competitive thing compared to the one other airline that has this benefit... Delta.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS Gold 75k, HH Diamond
As a 75K for the last 3 years, I hate this idea. I don't hit my 75K until December typically. I am concerned that, with this option, that there will be more 75Ks in 2017, which will make upgrades more difficult. I don't know this will be a fact, but logic would tell you that if certain chosen people start Jan 1, with 10k miles toward EQ they might be more inclined to push for a higher tier in 2017. Hell who knows, with the pending economy plus and less 1st seats, 75K's might not even be getting upgraded to F in 2017.

Maybe it's time to get out of the travel game, I don't think the perks are going to make it worth it soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.