Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Rollover 2016 miles into 2017 for elite status (email from Alaska Air)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
68K all on AS metal last year - no letter for me - or fast track to 75K offer of any kind either
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
just to clarify: it looks like this is only for people that qualify based on AS-flown miles, not on partner miles and the only rollover miles are the ones flown solely on AS - correct?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Smiley90
just to clarify: it looks like this is only for people that qualify based on AS-flown miles, not on partner miles and the only rollover miles are the ones flown solely on AS - correct?
75K on AS metal and 1MM. What exactly is the target if I don't qualify?

43K already booked pure AS for 2016.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Soon to be Gold again!
Originally Posted by Smiley90
It looks like some of the people that received the offer had some partner qualification miles. As for people that qualified on AS-flown miles, I didn't get the offer. I flew 100% on AS with my husband (the one who received the offer that prompted this thread). We had the exact same trips/mileage.

So I agree with a few others. It's a little irritating to see an offer randomly targeted. Perhaps AS doesn't realize that some long-time flyers are seriously considering switching.

Plus, is this really a good idea with DL coming after the AS market by offering the equivalent of Club 49 to AK residents? After sending in a few "Alaska Listens" surveys last year that had some complaints (with praise) and the complaints not being addressed...we've already been thinking about not being as loyal. Couple this with the premium seating change (which is really the only reason to try for MVP if you can't get Gold)...if I'm going to have the same seat quality as DL, I might as well fly DL.

Random...

Kind of like how gate agents were randomly following boarding instructions last year. That is, some followed the instructions, and others seemed to forget that MVP is a separate category from 75K and Gold.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

Nothing here. 76k on Alaska metal. I'm sure TH (55k) was not targeted either.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bronco29
No email for us either. Both of us are 75Ks with 90K on AS metal for the last 2 years. I am saddened and annoyed at the same time. This 'targeted market' thing seems so very unfair. And if it's the way that AS is telling us not to fly on AS after 75K, I think they have succeeded. I certainly will relook at our future spend and itinerary for remainder of this year since all of our travel are 'leisure' flights. It makes no sense to spend more and get less when a lot of time AA and other airlines are offering lower fare.
AS already disincentivizes us from flying after 75K (or 90K with partners) under the current program. I'm guessing that most 75Ks have a pretty good bankroll of miles so the incremental value of a few thousand more non-EQMs once you've got 75K status is low. When November and December roll around and I've already qualified, I typically push my discretionary travel into the new year. If AS were to give me rollover EQM credit, that wouldn't be the case.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Nothing here. MVPG annually with 100% AS miles. Nothing for Mr. Fink either and he qualified with one partner flight. So it seems AS vs partners isn't the difference either. And I was kind of bummed at 'wasting' my excess miles last year and would have credited my last flight in Dec. to BA if I had not wanted the Gold perks of having my AS number in the res. I can't say I am not annoyed - this is very disappointing and hopefully they will revisit this.

Can Missy shed some light on what the thinking was of targeting to only certain customers and possibly alienating those of us who weren't chosen?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOB W
75K on AS metal and 1MM. What exactly is the target if I don't qualify?

43K already booked pure AS for 2016.
They've already got you hook line and sinker - They needn't persuade you any further it seems?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by spamman808
I think if it is a targeted thing, then it's a bit unfortunate for those who aren't targeted (I'm stoked to be targeted), but if it works out and turns into a full on thing, that will definitely be amazing. For a data point, it was my first year making mvp anything, so maybe they're targeting me to see if it helps me stick around? Also, I made mvpgold strictly on ak flights, so maybe that had something to do with it too?
I also did not post any other airlines miles to my account. I fly AA and post to AA and I never flew any DL.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Somewhat disappointing to not be targeted (or for that matter, have this be a targeted offer). Basically means than any time I spent on AS planes after reaching my threshold is worth less than if I had rollover. I'll be sure to take that into consideration when making my travel decisions (virtually all self-paid and discretionary).
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Somewhat disappointing to not be targeted (or for that matter, have this be a targeted offer). Basically means than any time I spent on AS planes after reaching my threshold is worth less than if I had rollover. I'll be sure to take that into consideration when making my travel decisions (virtually all self-paid and discretionary).
I never understood this. Aren't the benefits that you very with elite status the most valuable part? Unless you fly enough to consistently earn status in multiple programs you might as well enjoy the benefits even if the additional eqms aren't really worth anything.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Nothing for either of us, either. Both a little over 40,000 last year, all on AS. On track to fly even more this year (all on AS metal) which will put us even further over the 40,000 mark, would love a roll-over.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I never understood this. Aren't the benefits that you very with elite status the most valuable part? Unless you fly enough to consistently earn status in multiple programs you might as well enjoy the benefits even if the additional eqms aren't really worth anything.
I have MM UA status and don't expect to reach Platinum this year (so no UA qualification rat race for me). Once I reach my AS goal (not sure yet that MVPG is realistic, so let's say MVP), I can fly UA or AS with status and make a decision for each flight based on what's best for me. Basically, at that point it's very much a transactional decision with factors like award availability, price, routing, time convenience, upgrade likelihood, mileage earnings, ... Rollover qualifying miles would have been a factor that might tip the scale for AS.

But it also just disappoints me. In this day and age, they can't possibly expect to select some for a valuable promotion or gift and not piss off many others who learn about it 10 seconds after the email goes out. A few years ago Hyatt just gave 50k UA miles to select Diamond members, and frustrated a lot of others who didn't get them for no discernible reason. U.S. Bank/Club Carlson has a similar case last year with a free night given to some credit card holders.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Nada for me. Had over 29k EQMs last year, only ~13k of which were on AS.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm still checking my Spam folder relentlessly like a lovelorn puppy. I wish I had never seen this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.