Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking KLM using AS miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
OP you might need to broaden your net a bit.

YVR-AMS is operated by KLM and might be an easier grab than LAX. SFO-CDG is usually somewhat decent for availability in J, IMO. if you can book it as a round trip, it's worth considering DL, they have 100% lie flat over the ocean and i have seen flights like SEA-LHR, PDX-AMS, and SLC-CDG having decent J availability on DL.com at the lowest levels, which presumably would also be accessible with AS miles. i fly DL quite a bit TATL, and the service and comfort levels are just fine. in fact, headed to EU on Friday on DL metal, looking forward to it.
Thanks for this. It's funny as I was just searching again yesterday and still can't find any KLM flights. And I am searching for anything Aug 15 onward to the last possible date. And my EF alerts that I have had in for the past month, also with a huge variety of routes and dates, both on AF from YVR and on KLM, have also come up dry.

I hadn't even considered DL as I know nothing about their product and didn't bother to reasearch it. I dismissed them entirely but, thanks to you and 3Cforme, I am open to giving DL a try. Are all their TATL aircraft lie-flat? Or just certain planes? I'm less concerned about the soft product; it is the seat that I care about. Pods in J, such as CX, NH, AF new BEST etc. are what I am after. I was only hot on the KLM LAX-AMS flight to get the 747 UD one last time.

Last edited by Finkface; Nov 11, 2015 at 3:26 pm
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Finkface
I hadn't even considered DL as I know nothing about their product and didn't bother to reasearch it. I dismissed them entirely but, thanks to you and 3Cforme, I am open to giving DL a try. Are all their TATL aircraft lie-flat? Or just certain planes? I'm less concerned about the soft product; it is the seat that I care about. Pods in J, such as CX, NH, LH new BEST etc. are what I am after. I was only hot on the KLM LAX-AMS flight to get the 747 UD one last time.
Delta is very good. All Aisle Access. Private seats along the windows, seats for couples in the center.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Are all their TATL aircraft lie-flat? Or just certain planes? I'm less concerned about the soft product; it is the seat that I care about. Pods in J, such as CX, NH, LH new BEST etc. are what I am after. I was only hot on the KLM LAX-AMS flight to get the 747 UD one last time.
TATL (and TPAC) is 100% flat bed as i said before. the seats are not really pods per se, and thus not as private as some, but they're comfortable and 180 degree recline, which is more than can be said of many of the AF options. for my own purposes, the single seats on the window are plenty private enough. i'm not a celebrity nor a dykwia, i just want decent service, a good meal, and a good nights sleep on a TATL and DL consistently delivers all 3.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...one.html#sleep

my experiences w/ DL have been exclusively 763 and 764 a/c, which are 1-2-1 configuration in business class. i've also flown several AF flights on the 772 and A340, they were good as well, but less privacy IMO (particularly on the 772) than DL.

KL is better, but if you can't get it and you can get DL, a bird in the hand...
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

KL is better, but if you can't get it and you can get DL, a bird in the hand...
If you can get seat 1A or 4A on a KL 747, it will just be like having your own private bedroom. The forward cabin is very cozy.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
....i just want decent service, a good meal, and a good nights sleep on a TATL and DL consistently delivers all 3....
Bingo. This is all I care about too. The rest is secondary.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
If you can get seat 1A or 4A on a KL 747, it will just be like having your own private bedroom. The forward cabin is very cozy.
I know, I really, really wanted to sit in the nose. Never done it and the opportunities are getting more scarce as the years go by. Or even the UD. I just wanted one last flight on the old girl. But really, any decent lie flat J product is fine with me. I just thought if I could get KL, I'd do it. DL is looking more like the best option at this point.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if you're willing to position farther, I think KL also runs their 744s out of ORD, IAH, and JFK
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
TATL (and TPAC) is 100% flat bed as i said before. the seats are not really pods per se, and thus not as private as some, but they're comfortable and 180 degree recline ... 763 and 764 a/c, which are 1-2-1 configuration in business class ...
on the 763 and 764 the seats face fully forward; on the A330 they are angled (window seats outboard and center seats inboard, so your head is closer to the aisle than your feet)

the window seats in the odd-numbered rows on the 763 and 764 have the console between the seat and the aisle; in the even-numbered rows the seat is farther from the window because of the console

under ALL circumstances BEWARE of the 757 on DL TATL (though this is probably not of concern since you're going to AMS) ... if you're in the window seat, you have to be either a contortionist or on extremely good terms with the person in the aisle if you want to get out
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
on the 763 and 764 the seats face fully forward; on the A330 they are angled (window seats outboard and center seats inboard, so your head is closer to the aisle than your feet)

the window seats in the odd-numbered rows on the 763 and 764 have the console between the seat and the aisle; in the even-numbered rows the seat is farther from the window because of the console

under ALL circumstances BEWARE of the 757 on DL TATL (though this is probably not of concern since you're going to AMS) ... if you're in the window seat, you have to be either a contortionist or on extremely good terms with the person in the aisle if you want to get out
Thanks for this. AMS isn't a must - it was just to get the 747 out of LAX. We are flexible - pretty much anywhere in Europe is fine with AMS or CDG being the most desirable. And we can position anywhere needed, preferably the west coast as YVR is our starting point. The only reason I wasn't wanting to position from the east coast was to avoid domestic F for a transcon and have a lie flat for the longest possible leg. And with over 500k AS miles, it would be nice to be able to use them. I just wish I could talk Mr. Fink into FCO via DXB in Emirates F.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just booked KL out of SFO last night in J for next year.

Seats are still there
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... AMS isn't a must - it was just to get the 747 out of LAX. ... we can position anywhere needed, preferably the west coast as YVR is our starting point. ... I just wish I could talk Mr. Fink into FCO via DXB in Emirates F.
I feel your pain; my wife and I are most interested in visiting Amsterdam again, but even the prospect of 7 hours AMS-DXB in EK F (on the A380 no less) isn't enough to make her look favorably on that routing

I'm waiting to learn if the paper I submitted for a mid-July conference in EDI is accepted ... I saw one seat at 62.5K from SEA, connecting to the KL 747 over LAX, but it was gone by the time we discussed options in terms of vacation days (after the conference instead of before)
Old May 27, 2016, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Inter Europe

Sorry to drag this thread out..but I'm not sure where to put this..

I have an inter europe KLM flight in Y coming up. I have no status with any Skyteam partner - except with AS.

KLM flights I understand do not give baggage allowance unless you're an elite with FrequenceBLUe. Do we as AS MVP Gold have any allowance at all ?

Thx
Old May 27, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
This question might be better in its own thread...

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi.../mvp-gold.aspx

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.ashx

Note that a baggage benefit with KL is not listed.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:11 am

After booking KLM flights with AS miles, alaskaair.com tells me that reservation cannot be viewed online. Is there any way to get the KLM PNR or ticket number without calling? The Sabre tool virtuallythere.com says I cannot view itineraries for this airline (AS).
Old May 27, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by michael_v
After booking KLM flights with AS miles, alaskaair.com tells me that reservation cannot be viewed online. Is there any way to get the KLM PNR or ticket number without calling? The Sabre tool virtuallythere.com says I cannot view itineraries for this airline (AS).
You will have to call KLM for the PNR.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
Should be viewable on AS once AS gets back ticketing confirmation from KLM. Might take a day or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.