Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Free checked bag for Signature Cardholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...AW_FREEBAGCC||

As a Thank You to our Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® consumer cardholders, we're covering the cost of your first checked bag when you travel between February 1, 2015, and April 30, 2015, on any Alaska Airlines flight
Nice gesture from AS...
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:58 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...AW_FREEBAGCC||

As a Thank You to our Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® consumer cardholders, we're covering the cost of your first checked bag when you travel between February 1, 2015, and April 30 December 31, 2015, on any Alaska Airlines flight
Nice gesture from AS...
There, that's better
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
My guess is that this will be a permanent feature of the card since I think every other airline affiliated card that I know of has this feature except maybe WN where the bag is already free.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My guess is that this will be a permanent feature of the card since I think every other airline affiliated card that I know of has this feature except maybe WN where the bag is already free.
+1 I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's just a way for BoA to market the card a bit more before offering it as a permanent benefit.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS
I wish it was the same for the Alaska MBNA MC!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Logged in today to report this issue as a bug in the self-tag print option. Really happy to see that it's actually a feature!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'm not sure if there is some fine print in the rules that says you actually have to purchase the ticket w the Signature card ...

I booked PDX-SEA-(overnight)-IAD last month for travel last week, but did NOT purchase the ticket w the Signature card ... however, going PDX-SEA I had a couple bottles of wine in the bag, so had to check it at PDX; rather than going standby, I used the Signature card to pay the $25 to SDC to the next available flight, and was also charged the $25 bag fee ... in the SEA baggage claim area I saw a sign advertising the free bag for Signature card holders; spoke with a supervisor in the morning before leaving for IAD, and was able to get the bag fee refunded
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
This being longer-term/hopefully permanent brings nice value to the card for those who aren't already MVP.

Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm not sure if there is some fine print in the rules that says you actually have to purchase the ticket w the Signature card
I was surprised to see it's specifically not required. From the fine print:

Payment with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card is not required to qualify for the offer.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by kyden
I wish it was the same for the Alaska MBNA MC!
I absolutely agree. I fly AS more than any other airline. Where's the loyality to the Canadian CC holders??
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm not sure if there is some fine print in the rules that says you actually have to purchase the ticket w the Signature card ...

I booked PDX-SEA-(overnight)-IAD last month for travel last week, but did NOT purchase the ticket w the Signature card ... however, going PDX-SEA I had a couple bottles of wine in the bag, so had to check it at PDX; rather than going standby, I used the Signature card to pay the $25 to SDC to the next available flight, and was also charged the $25 bag fee ... in the SEA baggage claim area I saw a sign advertising the free bag for Signature card holders; spoke with a supervisor in the morning before leaving for IAD, and was able to get the bag fee refunded
The requirement for the automatic free bag as a primary Visa Signature cardholder is that your AS MP# is in the record at time of check-in. Your cardholder status is linked to your MP account so it's also the trigger.

Looking at your programs, did you have your DL Skymiles # (or other) in the record? If it was in the record, it would be beneficial to others for sure to send a note to customer care with your PNR and a note for the IT team to look into.^

Last edited by dc333; Apr 26, 2015 at 1:13 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
ah, I think that's it ... I had my DL number in the PNR for preferred seating (and miniscule upgrade chances) on SEA-IAD
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dc333
The requirement for the automatic free bag as a primary Visa Signature cardholder is that your AS MP# is in the record at time of check-in. Your cardholder status is linked to your MP account so it's also the trigger.
Will I get a free bag as a cardholder even on a ticket booked through AA? First flight is QX and my AS MP# is on the reservation.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Will I get a free bag as a cardholder even on a ticket booked through AA? First flight is QX and my AS MP# is on the reservation.
You certainly should if you are the primary cardholder.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Alaska Airlines to Offer Free Checked Bag with Every Flight for Alaska Airlines Visa

From email received this morning:

Alaska Airlines today announced it is doing away with the standard fee for the first checked bag for Alaska Airlines Visa Signature consumer cardholders.

“This is a benefit our customers have been asking for,” said Sangita Woerner, Alaska’s vice president of marketing. “Today we’re thrilled to announce that our Visa Signature consumer cardholders and their friends and family traveling in the same reservation with them will enjoy one free checked bag with every flight – as a core benefit of our card program.”

Alaska first launched a month-long free checked bag promotion for all Mileage Plan members in January. In February, Alaska extended the promotion to its Visa Signature consumer cardholders.

This benefit is available to primary cardholders of the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature consumer credit card who have an open account at the time of travel and up to six (6) companions traveling on the same reservation. Primary cardholder must be an Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ member and the mileage plan number must be in the reservation at the time of check-in.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: Skymiles, AA,
So I have both Delta and Alaska accounts. I'm flying MSP - ANC in September. I put my DL Skymiles number on the record because I want the DL MQMs as top priority. Does this mean that I can't get the free bag? If I were flying Delta in the same situation, I could just show my Delta AMEX card at checkin and get the free bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.