Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Wine flies free: is this in addition to other baggage allowance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days

I'm an MVP so I typically get two bags checked free. I'm flying out of Santa Rosa this week which has a "wine flies free" program (first case free).

Is this in addition to the two free bags I usually get, or does it replace one of them (I'm hoping to bring back three cases rather than two)

Can't seem to find the answer on the information page:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...lies-free.aspx

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by carlhaynes
I'm an MVP so I typically get two bags checked free. I'm flying out of Santa Rosa this week which has a "wine flies free" program (first case free).

Is this in addition to the two free bags I usually get, or does it replace one of them (I'm hoping to bring back three cases rather than two)

Can't seem to find the answer on the information page:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...lies-free.aspx

Thanks!
Yes, your case is in addition to your baggage allowance. Enjoy.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by carlhaynes
Thanks for the quick reply!
Just make sure there's wine in it. My father flew out of YKM with an empty wine carrier, intending to bring something back the other direction (relatives live near Napa), and they charged him for it because it didn't have wine in it yet. Got the money back after contacting customer service, but they were very clear that this was a one-time refund.

They asked me a couple of months later during check-in, but I reminded them that as a Gold, it didn't matter.

So if you're planning to do the same, put a token bottle in it.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Flew home out of STS tonight: all three boxes checked in without issue at no charge.

Thanks again for the help!
Bellerina likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
This is the most recent thread so I'll ask my question here:

Can you ship LESS than a full case (which is 12 bottles) - what if you have securely wrapped, say, only 6 bottles?

I'm asking for my daughter who has no status (so no free checked bags at all) but does have a MP account.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

Can you ship LESS than a full case (which is 12 bottles) - what if you have securely wrapped, say, only 6 bottles?

I'm asking for my daughter who has no status (so no free checked bags at all) but does have a MP account.
I can't see why not, as long as it was only wine in the box.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold

Yes you can. They don’t care how many bottles are in the box (or whether they are securely wrapped, that I’ve noticed). But whatever is in there should be wine, though.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Calculon

Yes you can. They don’t care how many bottles are in the box (or whether they are securely wrapped, that I’ve noticed). But whatever is in there should be wine, though.
But does it have to be a case-sized cardboard box? Or can it be any container (like 6 bottles wrapped in bubble wrap and placed into a tote bag) - I keep seeing the word box.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
But does it have to be a case-sized cardboard box? Or can it be any container (like 6 bottles wrapped in bubble wrap and placed into a tote bag) - I keep seeing the word box.
See https://blog.alaskaair.com/travel-ti...wine-for-free/

AS may accept alternate outer packaging, but the intent seems to be that they want a secure box that a fragile sticker can be attached to. A concern with a tote would be that unless it's a big bubble wrap chunk inside, the bottles will shift or the rampers will toss it like any other soft sided luggage.

Looking at the photos, a smaller sturdy box would seem to be just as acceptable.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel

See https://blog.alaskaair.com/travel-ti...wine-for-free/

AS may accept alternate outer packaging, but the intent seems to be that they want a secure box that a fragile sticker can be attached to. A concern with a tote would be that unless it's a big bubble wrap chunk inside, the bottles will shift or the rampers will toss it like any other soft sided luggage.

Looking at the photos, a smaller sturdy box would seem to be just as acceptable.
That link was very helpful, answered some other questions, too. Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
On a recent Northern California business trip, I picked up a few bottles in the Lodi area, on the way to SMF for my flight home. I was given an empty cardboard wine box at the last winery, AS ticket counter agents were extremely helpful, securing the individual bottles with paper, filling the empty spaces in the box with more paper, taped the box shut and covered it with fragile stickers - smiling and friendly the entire time. Upon my arrival in SAN, the box was carefully placed in the oversized luggage claim area, rather than the normal luggage carousel. YMMF.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:30 am

For those of you holding your breath to find out what happened, this is it:

Daughter (who works for a winery) did bring a full case in a "wine tote" she borrowed from a co-worker. It was a big rigid cube with a divided box inside. All went well from PDX to PHX. No charge at the kiosk.

However, since it was a big rigid cube (too big to fit in an overhead or under the seat), and not collapsible at all even with the box taken out (we tried), she had to check the empty tote on the way back ($25 charge). She said it was worth it because she wanted family and friends in AZ to have some as a gift, and we all drank the rest in the condo we had together.

So just another DP for anyone doing the "wine flies free".
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Do you have to wait in the full service line to check the wine box for free or is there a way to do it via the kiosk without paying?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
For those of you holding your breath to find out what happened, this is it:

Daughter (who works for a winery) did bring a full case in a "wine tote" she borrowed from a co-worker. It was a big rigid cube with a divided box inside. All went well from PDX to PHX. No charge at the kiosk.

However, since it was a big rigid cube (too big to fit in an overhead or under the seat), and not collapsible at all even with the box taken out (we tried), she had to check the empty tote on the way back ($25 charge). She said it was worth it because she wanted family and friends in AZ to have some as a gift, and we all drank the rest in the condo we had together.

So just another DP for anyone doing the "wine flies free".
According to the poster above, she could have bought *one* cheap bottle of wine at the grocery store in AZ and checked it for free (and saved at least $15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.