Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the previous incarnation of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

...or that was the cheapest fare option.

The U will show up on a reservation if the criteria of fare class and U space are met if not waitlisted for an upgrade (why most of us don't see them)
It shows in my booked reservation. I booked the round trip tickets at the same time, and the departing flight does not have a U beside it, but the return does. That is why I am stumped, because it was 2 round trip, economy coach tickets at purchase. I understand I can use certs towards the return flight (if I knew someone that let me use theirs), but not sure how only the return flight qualifies for this, since I never chose "upgradeable fares" or "refundable fares". Could a price guarantee request change this? I did have a fare drop occur after booking.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Its 125% for I fare in business. Only First class gets 150%

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../american.aspx
Thanks. Not sure how i missed that.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
I feel like this is a stupid question, but I am looking for some confirmation.

For Delta flights booked into say, V class, will earn 50% Award miles, and only 50% Elite Qualifying, correct? I want to bealieve that they are full EQM's, but I don't see that on the Mileageplan Website.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AJCU
I feel like this is a stupid question, but I am looking for some confirmation.

For Delta flights booked into say, V class, will earn 50% Award miles, and only 50% Elite Qualifying, correct? I want to bealieve that they are full EQM's, but I don't see that on the Mileageplan Website.
50% EQM and RDM.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I have a KLM operated DL codeshare YEG-AMS-HEL in the Fall in 9XXX series flight numbers in X class so what if any AS MP miles will I earn?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by tcook052
I have a KLM operated DL codeshare YEG-AMS-HEL in the Fall in 9XXX series flight numbers in X class so what if any AS MP miles will I earn?
What does DL X map to on KL?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:36 am

redeem Alaska miles for US airways?

Hi,

It seems one cannot redeem Alaska miles for US airways flights even though AA is Alaska's partner?

Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sbbi
Hi,

It seems one cannot redeem Alaska miles for US airways flights even though AA is Alaska's partner?

Thanks.
Correct because US is owned by AA but its still a separate company. Just like we cant book Dragon Air awards and they are owned by CX.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by sbbi
Hi,

Thanks.
Correct.

AS and AA partner.

AS and US do not.

Once reservation systems are merged in late 2015, this should change.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Unknown but KLM X class earns zero so wasn't sure whether it being a DL flight number changed anything.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Unknown but KLM X class earns zero so wasn't sure whether it being a DL flight number changed anything.
Ah.

Haven't flown DL nor KL since DL unveiled X... Maybe query the DL forum and see if anyone has an idea what it maps to on KL?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:06 am

Hey all, anyone know of any promotions that give some small mile bonuses? I need about $5k for myself and my wife. Was hoping to not either buy miles, or just spend $5k on my Alaska card. If must I will, but otherwise I'd rather just do a few promotions. I'll look around some.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:56 pm

Greetings. I have a flight from OGG to Seattle (Alaska 800) which showed as direct, however I notice now that it has a stop in Sacramento. It was not marketed as 2 flights, so I am wondering what the experience will be. Its a one hour stop. Do we have to get off, or can we choose to stay aboard, or do we have to stay on? Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Yesterday a flyertalker and I were headed to the road to Hana. As we passed OGG around 10am, we noticed an AS flight on short final. It appeared to both of us that it only had a Split Scimitar wingtip on one side. Is this possible or were we both falling for some optical illusion?
I vote optical illusion. The wing only has to bend slightly up to end up hiding the lower wingtip. I noticed this phenomenon inflight from F when I tried to photograph the scimitars... couldn't see the lower tip until landing, and the upper tip is the same height and almost the same shape as the previous blended winglets.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:11 pm

Weird Milageale Accural

Hi All,

I have had a Mileage Plan account for years and have always credited my few DL flights there as I never saw the value of Delta's program.

Anyway, the few DL flights I do take are generally in F and thus AS has some fairly generous bonuses on DL F fares, but this one stumped me.

I flew two flights of equal distane in F (A Bucket) so it should be base miles plus a 75% bonus.

According to my Math that would 227 Base Miles plus 170 bonus miles for a total of 397 miles. However credited to my account were 227 base miles plus 648 bonus miles for a total 875 miles. I am not complaining that somehow I have more miles than I expected, but I cannot make the math work or am I missing something?

Any insights, I am more curious than anything else.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.