Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the previous incarnation of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Finkface
Did it work for you?
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I haven't tried it yet because I need to talk to my wife about her desire to fly home from either PHL or BWI. I'll report back when I attempt to do it.
well i didnt end up doing this because i remembered i had 2x $50 discount codes that i could use if i booked the flights as separate one ways. whereas i could only use one of them if i booked as multicity.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: DL DM
I have 4 MVP Gold upgrade codes set to expire 12/31/15 and I have no planned trips on AS for the rest of the year. I would hate to let them go to waste. Anybody in need?
Old May 6, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by GrizNation
I have 4 MVP Gold upgrade codes set to expire 12/31/15 and I have no planned trips on AS for the rest of the year. I would hate to let them go to waste. Anybody in need?
Did you now they just need to be applied by 12/31/15 and can be flown in 2016?

Also FT no longer allows giving away upgrade instruments on the general airline forum. They belong in Coupon Connection
Old May 6, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CDKing
Did you now they just need to be applied by 12/31/15 and can be flown in 2016?

Also FT no longer allows giving away upgrade instruments on the general airline forum. They belong in Coupon Connection
I did not know, however I switched all of my flying to UA so I really don't think I would use them, but thanks! And forgive me I had no idea, please delete my post if necessary. I will post it in Coupon Connection, Thank you!
Old May 6, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
OK at serious planning stage for a trip to Alaska. Easy part I can use DL miles to get me to ANC. Looking at arriving Sat Aug 1st DAY-MSP-ANC - arrives 11.46 am Sat Aug 1st.

Sun Aug 2nd planning ANC-ATL-DAY 7.46pm and redeye arrives Mon Aug 3rd AT 09.35 (I am a boss and can get away with arriving work late after a redeye.)

I have visited ANC a few times and done the seaplane bit out of PALH. Looking for some new airports. The challenge is- where are there hotels (I do not expect 5 star) so I can stop overnight. Looked at YAK on Expedia - no hotels. Is BRW an option - OTZ is not bad as I would still be sleeping/stopping north of the arctic circle. Will definitely use AS internally -cost is not a huge consideration.

The other alternative is to fly in and same schedule arrive Saturday morning ANC 11.46 Saturday Aug 29th and depart same schedule Sunday Aug 30th. I see the ALASKA DO is on then - if you are all in ANC and have fun planned then that would also be a no-brainer.

So my Question is -I am after advice and local knowledge please?

And thanks
Old May 6, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrizNation
I did not know, however I switched all of my flying to UA so I really don't think I would use them, but thanks! And forgive me I had no idea, please delete my post if necessary. I will post it in Coupon Connection, Thank you!
Someone willingly moving to UA? Unicorn sighting!!
Old May 7, 2015, 8:19 am

AS Bonus/Qualifying Miles on AA Operated but US Marketed?

Hi I'm sure this question has been asked and everyone is tired of answering but my search turned up empty. Please bear with me.

Flying a V fare on AA001 JFK-LAX. Obviously AA operated and falls within the eligible flight numbers.

The part that got me was the underlined bit:
To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.

My travel department is showing this as a US flight. Does "marketed by US" still exist or is it all AA (marketed/stock) now? Is the only thing that matters is that it's on AA metal? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Old May 7, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polandspringuy
Hi I'm sure this question has been asked and everyone is tired of answering but my search turned up empty. Please bear with me.

Flying a V fare on AA001 JFK-LAX. Obviously AA operated and falls within the eligible flight numbers.

To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.

My travel department is showing this as a US flight. Does "marketed by US" still exist or is it all AA (marketed/stock) now? Is the only thing that matters is that it's on AA metal? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
There is a risk that you will not receive credit, because if US markets & tickets it, you will have a US ticket number.

One possible way to get credit for the flight is to ensure you have a paper BP from AA check in, and if the flight doesn't credit automatically, try to claim retroactive credit.
Old May 7, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

To be clear, does your itinerary say that the flight number is US001? If so, that's not supposed to earn AS miles. The fact that the underlying flight is AA001 shouldn't matter in this case.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
OK at serious planning stage for a trip to Alaska. Easy part I can use DL miles to get me to ANC. Looking at arriving Sat Aug 1st DAY-MSP-ANC - arrives 11.46 am Sat Aug 1st.

Sun Aug 2nd planning ANC-ATL-DAY 7.46pm and redeye arrives Mon Aug 3rd AT 09.35 (I am a boss and can get away with arriving work late after a redeye.)

I have visited ANC a few times and done the seaplane bit out of PALH. Looking for some new airports. The challenge is- where are there hotels (I do not expect 5 star) so I can stop overnight. Looked at YAK on Expedia - no hotels. Is BRW an option - OTZ is not bad as I would still be sleeping/stopping north of the arctic circle. Will definitely use AS internally -cost is not a huge consideration.
There is a very nice new hotel in OTZ now and BRW also has multiple overnight lodgings. This seems like a risky trip though with such a short turnaround time. BRW is often foggy in the summer and it is pretty common for the plane not to make it in. So you could land and spend several days there and miss your return flight out of Anchorage. OTZ probably a little less risky. There are also places to stay in Yakutat. Skip Expedia and just google Yakutat hotel.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I am thinking on moving some of my spending to an mbna mastercard as there doesn't seem to be an AAdvantage card for Canadians. If there's an MilesAAver award available on AA will that be available on AS? Or AS rewards are a completely different bucket?

Another question, when flying CX from YVR to Australia on a one way ticket can you stopover in Japan?

Last edited by chx1975; May 8, 2015 at 2:28 am
Old May 8, 2015, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by chx1975
I am thinking on moving some of my spending to an mbna mastercard as there doesn't seem to be an AAdvantage card for Canadians. If there's an MilesAAver award available on AA will that be available on AS? Or AS rewards are a completely different bucket?

Another question, when flying CX from YVR to Australia on a one way ticket can you stopover in Japan?
AA SAAver award is the correct bucket for AS miles usage

No NRT stop-over on CX award. Can't do XXX-HKG-NRT-HKG-YYY on a single award
Old May 8, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by drseagrass
There is a very nice new hotel in OTZ now and BRW also has multiple overnight lodgings. This seems like a risky trip though with such a short turnaround time. BRW is often foggy in the summer and it is pretty common for the plane not to make it in. So you could land and spend several days there and miss your return flight out of Anchorage. OTZ probably a little less risky. There are also places to stay in Yakutat. Skip Expedia and just google Yakutat hotel.
Thanks for this feedback.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
There is a risk that you will not receive credit, because if US markets & tickets it, you will have a US ticket number.

One possible way to get credit for the flight is to ensure you have a paper BP from AA check in, and if the flight doesn't credit automatically, try to claim retroactive credit.
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
To be clear, does your itinerary say that the flight number is US001? If so, that's not supposed to earn AS miles. The fact that the underlying flight is AA001 shouldn't matter in this case.
UGH!! Despite the assurances of my corp travel dept I see the ticket was issued on 037 stock. Various itineraries show as either AA1 or US1. I was able to pull up my res on aa.com and freely select MCE so I don't know if that means anything (probably not). Will also try the suggestion of getting a paper BP and try my luck.

If I have my AS # on the res and I have to claim retro credit - I assume if AS rejects the request it's not then possible to try for AA mileage?

Now I'm considering not risking it and just originally crediting to AA...

Thank you for the responses.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
UGH!! Despite the assurances of my corp travel dept I see the ticket was issued on 037 stock. Various itineraries show as either AA1 or US1. I was able to pull up my res on aa.com and freely select MCE so I don't know if that means anything (probably not). Will also try the suggestion of getting a paper BP and try my luck.

If I have my AS # on the res and I have to claim retro credit - I assume if AS rejects the request it's not then possible to try for AA mileage?

Now I'm considering not risking it and just originally crediting to AA...

Thank you for the responses.
Do you have a screenshot? Just because the ticket was issued as 037 doesn't necessarily mean anything... US could sell an AA flight and you would get credit.

What's important is whether US (by way of your travel folks) sold you a seat on AA1 or US1 op. by AA1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.