Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pok Pok, Other Local Flavors @ PDX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by mczlaw
Not to stray too far OT, but let me offer a pro tip here: Voodoo is a big joke to us locals...we always know that pink box carriers @ PDX are tourists who don't know any better. Around town, it's either tourists or wasted twentysomethings.

There are some seriously good donuts to be found in Portland...the very best are at Blue Star, located downtown and on SE Hawthorne. You heard it here first!
Yep, I'm also a part of the Voodoo Donuts being overrated camp. I've never really understood the appeal, though I know its popular as I see those pink boxes all the time both around town and at PDX airport.

I'm extremely happy about Burgerville opening past security. I usually eat before getting to the airport but if I am going to grab a bite, I'd never do it pre-security for a lot of reasons. But, the food options have definitely improved since working at PDX many years ago!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Update...

As noted above, both Pok Pok and Koi Fusion (an excellent emulator of L.A.'s orginal Korean taco purveyor, Ray Choi) opened today in the PDX food court in the main connector between the terminals, outside security. These are short-term leases (6 mos. subject to extension). Many other slots to open in the next months and years, including spaces inside security. My understanding is that the Port of Portland recruited Koi and 2Pok to see how local vendors would work out. I'm told a third deal (cart space immediately next to Koi) is imminent, though I promised not to spill the beans on who it is. Only hint: kid friendly.

Given the PofP's efforts, I would be surprised if Salt & Straw (or some other local ice cream vendor--there are other less known, but equally excellent enterprises such as Ruby Jewel, Cool Moon and What's The Scoop) didn't end up in PDX. It was previously announced that the PofP has signed a deal to bring a branch of The Country Cat, another local favorite, to PDX. Not sure of the time line on that.

I'd love to see Blue Star go in too. I need to do some asking around to get better info. Will report here. VooDoo's claim to fame is their shock value shapes and toppings (penis shape donuts coated with Fruit Loops have a certain cool factor to TV producers, I guess) and eccentric owner, resulting in massive overexposure. The product is most assuredly crappy.

--mcz
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:39 pm

While others are scavenging @ SEA, savvy PDX travelers will make a beeline for the airport version of Portland's nationally-known Thai food favorite, Pok Pok. My reliable sources tell me the soft opening was today and first official day is tomorrow, Friday 10/10.

Pok Pok is the first of several well-regarded local restaurants to open outlets @ PDX as the Port of Portland begins a concerted effort to replace national chains as their leases terminate over the next few years. The Pok Pok outlet will operate with a slimmed down, slightly modified menu (but, yes, there will be those magical chicken wings ), reportedly in a location outside security but near the A/B/C concourse(s).

Coincidentally, I'm flying out tomorrow eve and will supplement or amend this post as appropriate. Happy news for those of us sick of crappy airport food.

--mcz
I'm happy that PDX airport has a pretty interesting food vendor concept and there will be some interesting places to eat there. I'd hardly say that people in Seattle are "scavenging" though. Ivar's, Beechers, Waji's, Dilletante, Pallino, Dish Delish, Anthony's. They're all local food concepts and are decent options. They aren't food trucks but they are very decent. Not to mention the wide variety of chain options (Wendy's, QDoba, McDonalds, Chili's, BK's) and airport concepts. Seatac has a very good selection of restaurants to choose from.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I'm happy that PDX airport has a pretty interesting food vendor concept and there will be some interesting places to eat there. I'd hardly say that people in Seattle are "scavenging" though. Ivar's, Beechers, Waji's, Dilletante, Pallino, Dish Delish, Anthony's. They're all local food concepts and are decent options. They aren't food trucks but they are very decent. Not to mention the wide variety of chain options (Wendy's, QDoba, McDonalds, Chili's, BK's) and airport concepts. Seatac has a very good selection of restaurants to choose from.
Was only referring to AS key hunt. Don't know much about SEA food. I dig the Beecher's/Cafe Vita stand myself.

--mcz
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:23 am

Was only referring to AS key hunt. Don't know much about SEA food. I dig the Beecher's/Cafe Vita stand myself.

--mcz
LOL!! That was a crazy misunderstanding. Sorry I do love the idea of food truck stand operations at the Portland airport. Local flavors at airports makes traveling much more interesting.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Huh. Have only done Voodoo once and it was...um...interesting.

Recall previous discussion on FT about them and Top Pot, so had to check them out. However this was fun as a friend and I had a pink box we took on a MR...all the way to Portland, ME and back to ANC
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by beckoa
Huh. Have only done Voodoo once and it was...um...interesting.

Recall previous discussion on FT about them and Top Pot, so had to check them out. However this was fun as a friend and I had a pink box we took on a MR...all the way to Portland, ME and back to ANC
You were brave bringing that into Dunkin' country (though the product inside is certainly worlds apart).
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
As noted above, both Pok Pok and Koi Fusion (an excellent emulator of L.A.'s orginal Korean taco purveyor, Ray Choi) opened today in the PDX food court in the main connector between the terminals, outside security. These are short-term leases (6 mos. subject to extension). Many I promised not to spill the beans on who it is. Only hint: kid friendly.

--mcz
Hope it is Grilled Cheese Grill. One of my favorite food carts.

Who is taking Gustavs place? I was told by an HMS Host manager it was closing down in November (assuming he is correct of course).
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Waffle Window

My vote goes to opening a waffle window
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ijkh
My vote goes to opening a waffle window
^^^

This entire thread is making me think a trip to Portland is in order.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
I nominate a Voodoo chain in PDX
I echo what other's say: Voodoo is overrated and for tourists. Add my vote for Blue Star.

Originally Posted by Portland1k
Pok Pok was not open but Koi Fusion, another big name food cart was. They are outside of security in the food hall near the back, in modified food cart style appropriate to Portland.
I was at PDX on Friday and I totally missed all the food carts. I even grabbed lunch at Elephants (another great place!). Pok Pok is quite good. I'm looking forward to bringing the wings onto a flight with about a tree's worth of napkins.

If anyone wants sinful food at PDX, go try the Monkey Love cake thing at La Provence. It's amazing. The nice thing with taking the evening flights out of PDX is the lines aren't long and Provence and Elephants are great places to gorge.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I echo what other's say: Voodoo is overrated and for tourists. Add my vote for Blue Star.

I was at PDX on Friday and I totally missed all the food carts. I even grabbed lunch at Elephants (another great place!). Pok Pok is quite good. I'm looking forward to bringing the wings onto a flight with about a tree's worth of napkins.

If anyone wants sinful food at PDX, go try the Monkey Love cake thing at La Provence. It's amazing. The nice thing with taking the evening flights out of PDX is the lines aren't long and Provence and Elephants are great places to gorge.

I have a 3+ hour evening layover in PDX between SFO & ANC on an upcoming flight, but I'm beginning to think that's not long enough to take advantage of all of the new spots that are popping up.

Never realized that Elephants has a good reputation at PDX. Love Petit Provence, especially the Alberta location. Great croissants.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
The Eater newsletter for Portland just arrived and the lead story was - no suprise - the newly opened food cart pod at PDX.

According to the article, a 3rd cart will be opening with a yet-to-be-disclosed purveyor. And the plan is to eventually have a 5 cart pod.

Here's the full article: Pok Pok wings and KOi Fusion take flight at PDX.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:03 am

It looks like Mo's is coming to PDX! I'll try to post a picture later of it but there is information posted about Mo's applying for a liquor license. I saw this in the C concourse recently, so it'd be past security.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by apodo77
Hope it is Grilled Cheese Grill. One of my favorite food carts.
That was my first thought when I saw the phrase "kid-friendly." Not sure if they have a big enough following to make the leap to PDX, though. But I'd certainly give them my business.

As far as Voodoo, I've never been there but have sampled their donuts that were brought to me by others. Agreed that they're "meh" but then again what I was eating was definitely not fresh-made. I think there's a bit of a backlash factor in terms of locals being too "cool" to like Voodoo...but certainly if you were a local, why would you stop for donuts at a place where you're likely to have to wait in a long line?

Realistically, regardless of what locals think, a Voodoo location in PDX would be a license to print money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.