Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"New" 737

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; IHG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz Five*; Global Entry
"New" 737

On the FLL-SEA fight tonight. Was announced we have the new 737. Aside from new seats...this plane doesn't look so new. Old bins. Nicer carpet though. And plugins on the seat back in front...which I have to admit beats feeling around under my seat for one.

I'm MVPG and #12 of 24 on the list. Only 3 upgrades.

Looking forward to a long 6 hr, 40 min flight in 16A! That's almost 3 movies...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Must have been reconfigured as all new deliveries have SkyInterior
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; IHG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz Five*; Global Entry
Bonus....no middle seat for any of the exit rows. Lucky us.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Did you happen to catch the tail number?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Must have been reconfigured as all new deliveries have SkyInterior
I could be wrong..the bins look like old style. I was thinking they would have the new style drop down bins? They don't look beat up. So maybe this is the style. Guess I should look that up!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Did you happen to catch the tail number?
I didn't! But maybe I can see it when we land. I'll try.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by klsteph
I didn't! But maybe I can see it when we land. I'll try.
If you can't see it on the exterior of the plane from the terminal, it will be on the federal airworthiness certificate that's posted by the cockpit/near the entry door. You can ask to see it if it's not sufficiently conspicuous.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k
If ACARS is to be trusted, you're on N518AS, which is 5 years old. So, your description of it sounds right, but I'm not sure why the FAs would call it new. New seats maybe.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N518AS.html
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I could be wrong..the bins look like old style. I was thinking they would have the new style drop down bins? They don't look beat up. So maybe this is the style. Guess I should look that up!
Would have to have the widebody/international style drop down bin and would have the special color changing lighting.

Another thing is its a 737-800 and AS has not taken a delivery of one of those in nearly 2 years. AS is currently only getting deliveries of 737-900ER

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 24, 2014 at 5:22 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
On the FLL-SEA fight tonight. Was announced we have the new 737. Aside from new seats...this plane doesn't look so new. Old bins. Nicer carpet though. And plugins on the seat back in front...which I have to admit beats feeling around under my seat for one.

I'm MVPG and #12 of 24 on the list. Only 3 upgrades.

Looking forward to a long 6 hr, 40 min flight in 16A! That's almost 3 movies...
So this is the new plane with the inflight-entertainment server I take it...how much are the movies??? Personally, on that long of a flight, I'd want the aisle...too claustrophobic for me at the window for over 6 hours even with the empty middle.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So this is the new plane with the inflight-entertainment server I take it.
No, just the new seats and individual powerports.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, Starwood Rewards
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So this is the new plane with the inflight-entertainment server I take it...how much are the movies??? Personally, on that long of a flight, I'd want the aisle...too claustrophobic for me at the window for over 6 hours even with the empty middle.
I thought they were rolling out the server thing and getting rid of the digiplayers for the fleet all at once?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by gaiusbaltar
I thought they were rolling out the server thing and getting rid of the digiplayers for the fleet all at once?
Two different things; the seat retrofit and powerport installation requires an aircraft to be out of service (so far 17 of 94 aircraft are done) whereas the streaming IFE servers can be installed overnight. Those haven't begun yet.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, Starwood Rewards
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Two different things; the seat retrofit and powerport installation requires an aircraft to be out of service (so far 17 of 94 aircraft are done) whereas the streaming IFE servers can be installed overnight. Those haven't begun yet.
I guess I wasn't clear, not the first time.. It sounds like we are on the same page then.... The servers can be installed overnight so they will roll those out fleet wide at the same time?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: lots of little things
There's another thread with tail numbers of aircraft with updated interiors. Progress is definitely picking up.

Also, FLL seems to be a common point of re-entry for the newly updated ships. Like today for example, updated plane ferries down from GSO then operates AS33, and the inbound AS38 SEA-FLL aircraft hops up to GSO for a while to be refurbished.

In that sense, the FA on the OP's flight could've been basically right. That's his or her office, so it's really like a "new" 737.

Last edited by dc333; Apr 24, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.