Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines First Class Food (REPORTS ONLY from Jan-July, closed to posting)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
This is an archive of reports from January through July of 2015. This thread is closed to posting. Please post your reports and discussion of the First Class food offerings on Alaska Airlines in this thread:

Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines First Class Food (REPORTS ONLY from Jan-July, closed to posting)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Interesting. This morning on AS 466 SEA-LAX 7:00 AM departure, it was the same meal except there was no fruit whatsoever and about half the potatoes. One sausage. The egg amount was about the same. Maybe 4 potato slivers. But no fruit. Was it miscatered? Does the fact that LAX is 75 miles shorter than DEN mean no fruit? Or did the FA's keep the fruit for themselves?

Originally Posted by dave1013
Date the flight was taken: 19 JAN 15
Route flown: SEA-DEN
Class of service: F
Length of flight: 2 hrs, 7 min.
Meal served: Breakfast
A brief description of the meal: The Greek Scramble (the only choice available). Scrambled eggs with potatoes, blueberries, a lone half of a strawberry, and a sausage. A good start to the day; wish there would have been more eggs.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 1, 2015 at 10:45 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
1/19 PHX-SEA 730p departure: Polenta.
1/21 LAS-SEA 5p departure: Polenta.
1/23 SEA-PHX 830p departure: Cookies. I wasn't in the mood for cookies for once, so I opted for the cheese plate from the back. It was pretty tasty. Went well with the copious amounts of red wine the FA kept bringing me.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:29 pm

I've been shuttling around the west coast on late night flights, so cookies, cookies and more cookies.

Date: 1/24
Flight: AS 648 SEA-TUS
Meal: A cheese plate.

SEA-TUS is a nearly 3 hour flight which departs at 10:15am and doesn't get in until after 2pm. They've apparently stopped catering even a sandwich for this flight, and instead it's just a cheese plate for lunch.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Route flown - AS # 172 ANC-PHX
Class of service - First
Length of flight - 5' 45"
Time of Departure - 9:45 AM
Meal served - Lunch

PDB - Water bottles were at the seats upon boarding. The lead FA offered juice or coffee, but she graciously provided a diet Sprite when I asked for it.

Once everyone had boarded, but while we were still on the tarmac, the F FA introduced herself, explained the new streaming video system and asked if we'd agree to have her take meal orders from window seats first rather than front to back. Hearing murmurs of approval, she did something I've never seen on a flight -- taking orders starting with 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 4F, 3F, 2F, 1F, 1C, 2C, 3C, 4C, 4D, 3D, 2D, 1D.

There was an unusual salad on the menu, along with two entrees. One of the entrees, of course, had to feature polenta ...

AS #172 Lunch menu:

The farro salad was a bit unusual. From the scholarly source, Wikipedia,
"There is some confusion about what farro is. Farro is a food product composed of the grains of certain wheat species. The exact definition is debated. The Italian word farro is derived from the presumed Vulgar Latin word farrum, from Standard Latin far, farris n. : 'a kind of wheat' ... "
The salad had bits of what may have been bok choy, cucumber, crispy rice noodles, (?) edamame, and came with very little in the way of dressing.

Farro Salad:

I was given the "Trident hot smoked wild Alaskan salmon mac and cheese."

IMO, it would have more aptly described as "Rubbery penne pasta with lukewarm, congealed 'salmon-flavored' goop." There wasn't any salmon to be seen on my plate. (Sorry, I wasn't able to get a look at the blackened chicken with polenta dish during this flight.)

Smoked salmon mac and cheese:

Dessert, the Chuckanut huckleberry cheesecake, was a standout. The Chuckanut Cheesecake company is located in Ferndale, WA, and they make terrific (rich) desserts.

The dessert wasn't served until several hours after the lunch, but the FA brought the plates out and served from the cart where she also had hot coffee. It was almost like an old-fashioned First Class Service.

Chuckanut huckleberry cheesecake:

Warm nuts were served about an hour after the dessert, prior to landing. My preference, like some other posters have mentioned here, is to have the nuts as a snack with a beverage before the meal is served.

Overall, the service was very good, especially since the FA took meal requests while we were still on the ground and she was quite efficient.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Route flown - AS # 171 PHX-ANC
Class of service - First
Length of flight - ~ 6 hours
Time of Departure - 6:30 PM
Meal served - Dinner

PDB - Menus & Alaska Glacial water bottles were at each seat when we boarded. We were offered another beverage, so I had a Sprite Zero.

But ...but ... but ... the "dinner" was the exact same menu as the "lunch" that I was served when I flew down from Anchorage.

This flight may have had an identical menu to the previous ANC-PHX trip, but the pace and organization of service was definitely not similar.

About 35 minutes into flight the lead FA began taking drink and meal orders. There was no turbulence or other obvious reason why it took longer than usual for service to begin. At 45 minutes, give or take, we had pretzels delivered - but still no drinks. Around 55 minutes in, drinks are finally delivered to folks in the first few rows. (No digeplayers yet ... but that's another topic).

Almost 90 minutes into flight, there's still no sign of dinner. Hmmm. Maybe he can't manage the service solo, as he apparently went to get help from one of the coach FAs. At about 1 3/4 hours salad delivery commences courtesy of the coach FA.

The starter of farro salad had purple cabbage, some bok choy, bits of cucumber, toasty rice noodles, edamame, and was coated with far too much oily dressing

Farro salad:

Now it's about 2 hours into flight, but I haven't seen anyone get any hot food yet. The lead FA has the female FA picking up salad plates.

Finally. Entrees begin to arrive, with the female FA from coach still doing all of the food distribution while the lead FA is in the galley (ostensibly) plating.

Again I received the Trident smoked wild Alaskan salmon mac and cheese. This time I did see some flakes of smoked salmon with the chewy, dry, under-sauced pasta. The broccoli? It was cooked to complete mush, disintegrating when I tried to scoop it onto the fork.

Smoked salmon mac and cheese with mushed broccoli:

For what it's worth, the blackened chicken with polenta and creamed spinach that my seatmate ordered didn't look very good either.

Blackened chicken, polenta and creamed spinach:

A few minutes after entree was served, the lead FA finally surfaced & started bringing dessert. While people still had entree plates. And were still trying to eat the entrees ... Several of us asked to wait just a little bit before having dessert.

Again, the dessert was the delicious, rich Chuckanut huckleberry cheesecake. Delightful - even more so after such a so-so meal.

Chuckanut huckleberry cheesecake:

No explanation was ever given as to why it took two FAs twice the amount of time to do a meal service on PHX-ANC, than was required by a single FA who did it all solo in half the amount of time on an ANC-PHX flight.

Maybe there was a problem with the galley or heating units? Maybe something else was going on? But no one ever said anything, no apology was given, it just seemed like two people who were out of their element while trying to distribute meals.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I know Seat2A hates it when I click reply on a post with a bunch of pictures so I resisted the temptation and didn't do that....baby steps, right??
Inasmuch as it clogs up this thread with unnecessary and redundant clutter, Seat 2A does indeed have an aversion to this particular activity but so what? I'm suspect I'm the only one that does, so majority rulez! Click and drag to your heart's content, my man! And keep posting those meal reports!

This thread sure has been busy of late. Thanks to everyone for their input!

As for mine, here's something to chew on:

Date of flight: January 22, 2015
Route flown: Anchorage to Seattle
Class of service: First
Length of flight: 3:02
Meal served: Dinner
PDB Offered: Water bottle at seat
Description: BBQ Chicken with green beans and corn muffin
Comment: Surprisingly good! I wish the chicken portion were bigger but the chicken was tender and the BBQ sauce was really good! Tangy but not overly sweet. Good corn muffin, too.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 27, 2015 at 8:05 am
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
YVR to LTO via LAX

Date: Jan 18 2015
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 708 YVR to LAX
Time of Departure: 06:00
Length of flight: 2:49
Meal served: Turkey Burrito/Wrap
This was flight to LAX to connect to the LTO flight. On the YVR to LAX leg it was a warm wrap with scrambled eggs, onions, pepper and turkey. Quite satisfying. Its best described as more than a snack but less than a full meal. If I found this is an airport, I'd probably buy it. Kind of reminded me of some of the better buy-on board I've had on different airlines. FAs were good at keeping coffee, OJ etc topped up.

On the way back........

Date: Jan 23 2015
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 701 LAX to YVR
Time of Departure: 20:25
Length of flight: 3:01
Meal served: Two chocolate chip cookies. That was it. Drinks were served.

I have pictures but can't figure out how to add them. If someone sends me "how to" I'll edit and add the pics. Running a MAC with Safari.

Last edited by Frequentlander; Jan 25, 2015 at 1:23 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Grilled chicken, mashed potato and green salad, warm cookies for desert, ORD-SEA
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:40 pm

Grilled chicken, mashed potato and green salad, warm cookies for desert, ORD-SEA

Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
The culinary abomination that is polenta con pollo y espinacas was served in F on 751, STL-SEA, 26 JAN 15.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? REPORTS (2015 edition)

1/26 PHL-SEA
Dinner
shrimp/Beecher cheese Caesar salad
Cod with puttenesca (sp) sauce or ravioli
Warm Blackberry cobbler
Warm nuts before landing
Ste Michele 2011 red blend
I had the cod. It was very good and the orzo pasta and broccoli had good flavor. The wine and cobbler were also very nice. The salad was great. Overall terrific service. The crew and passengers were happy to leave the blizzard forecast behind.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of flight: January 27, 2015
Route flown: Las Vegas to Seattle
Time of Departure: 7:10pm
Class of service: First
Length of flight: 2:17
Meal served: Dinner
PDB Offered: Water bottle at seat
Description: Polenta Cake with Bolognaise Sauce and Rocket Salad
Comment: Better than I thought! I'm no polenta connoisseur but I thought the texture was good and the Bolognaise Sauce (Marinara with ground meat for the uninformed) was plentiful. I'll be on this flight again in a couple of weeks and look forward to seeing what's for dinner then.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver
Date of Flight: Jan 25th
Route: SEA -> ATL
Class: First
Length of Flight: 5hrs
Meal: Lunch
PDB: Water on Seat

Service began shortly after takeoff with menus distributed and a drink + warm nuts. I was surprised by the warm nuts, as I thought AS only did this for their hawaii flights.

Starter was a small salad.

Meal consisted of an option of Chicken w/ Polenta or Salmon Mac'n'Cheese

I ordered the Mac. It did not really have much salmon, it was basically a salmon flavored cheese sauce. Still, it was pretty good tasting, because it's hard to screw up Mac'n'Cheese.

Desert was also served, it was a small cheesecake.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
Date the flight was taken 3 January 15 (yea I am a little late posting)
Flight Number and Route flown 139 ORD-ANC
Time of Departure 9:40 a.m.
Length of flight 7 hrs
Class of service F
Meal served Lunch
A brief description of the meal Shrimp Caesar Salad, Ravioli or Alaskan Cod Puttanesca, Blackberry Cobbler
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:49 pm

If you have the option for the Beef Provencal and Pork Tenderloin, go for the beef one, I have tried both and the pork one tastes really not great, or is it just me? had beef on my flight today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.