Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Post #248 by pdxasflyer (referencing a.net) includes the purported refreshed wordmark and a Youtube video of an ad using the new mark.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BOB W
The lei was intended to be short term to announce the new Hawaii service several years back. I was surprised that it stayed as long as it did.
I have always liked the lei, and it would be nice if they kept it on one of the aircraft. However, they already have the special Hawaii livery, so can even see one aircraft with a lei being somewhat redundant. Regardless, will miss those.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
+1.
It may also help (albeit slightly/not sure) with those who still call it 'Alaskan'?
Fat chance.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by BOB W
This makes sense. We all know American, United, Delta, Southwest, JetBlue, ect. Rarely do you hear the word "airline(s)" after that moniker.
While people might say "American" I don't think I've seen AA refer to themselves in their own marketing materials as anything other than "American Airlines" or AA. Their website and app don't as far as I can see.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
While people might say "American" I don't think I've seen AA refer to themselves in their own marketing materials as anything other than "American Airlines" or AA. Their website and app don't as far as I can see.
AA uses "American" all the time. Notably, on their mobile app (when you start it up in iOS, I think), airport signage... and on their planes
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jackal
Fat chance.
rotflmao
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Did a quick search (non-exhaustive) in the federal trademark database and didn't see the new mark as trademarked (even though the picture is showing it as a registered trademark).

I'm sure that someone is working on it --- but normally they'd have the TM noted while the application is pending.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
I wouldn't be surprised if AS has received a non-ETOPS 737 since the first batch of 800s in 2005.

With most of the deliveries since then being ETOPs, it kind of makes the lei redundant.
The bolded part was the reason mentioned for it going away
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:40 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if AS has received a non-ETOPS 737 since the first batch of 800s in 2005.

With most of the deliveries since then being ETOPs, it kind of makes the lei redundant.
The newest non-ETOPS -800 is N528AS, #51 of 61 delivered in 06/2009. Except for possibly a few of them, none went into service as ETOPS planes. Though you're right about the redundancy of the Lei's, 47 of the 61 -800's are ETOPS.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So instead of leis for the ETOPs planes, maybe Chester should wear coconuts for the non-ETOPs planes?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Putzy
The newest non-ETOPS -800 is N528AS, #51 of 61 delivered in 06/2009. Except for possibly a few of them, none went into service as ETOPS planes. Though you're right about the redundancy of the Lei's, 47 of the 61 -800's are ETOPS.
The man with the answers. Thanks, Putzy!

I was trying to guess based off of planespotters.com. Speaking of planespotters.com, there's one non-737-890 in AS's fleet: a 737-8FH from SMBC Aviation Capital. Do you know why this is one type of this plane?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:19 pm

I was trying to guess based off of planespotters.com. Speaking of planespotters.com, there's one non-737-890 in AS's fleet: a 737-8FH from SMBC Aviation Capital. Do you know why this is one type of this plane?
This was originally a Delta airplane but Alaska picked it up as a lease aircraft. It is one of just a handful of 737-800's that are leased.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:53 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I was at the AS Company Store in SEA yesterday, and noticed/overheard a few things:

1) Pickings were pretty slim - apparently AS gave employees a $100 store credit following the JD Power ranking, and as a result a lot of their stock has been cleared out. Something similar happened in advance of the QX brand taking a back seat (although in that case, QX items were all put on clearance)

2) Management was eager to clear out floor stock that had the current logo on it – there was a lot of focus on shopping in store and ordering online, especially for clothing items (many of which only had one of each size in stock), but the manager was willing to sell stock of logo apparel in store.

3) That same manager mentioned that they should be getting artwork for the new logo in the next month or so, and had been instructed to slowly roll it out – reinforcing the idea of an evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, change.

4) A staff member from ANC mentioned a policy change allowing her to wear logo apparel 2 days a week, instead of standard uniform - which supports the idea of a greater emphasis on the Alaska name, since most uniform apparel uses other brand elements.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stellertony
I was at the AS Company Store in SEA yesterday, and noticed/overheard a few things:

1) Pickings were pretty slim - apparently AS gave employees a $100 store credit following the JD Power ranking, and as a result a lot of their stock has been cleared out. Something similar happened in advance of the QX brand taking a back seat (although in that case, QX items were all put on clearance)

2) Management was eager to clear out floor stock that had the current logo on it – there was a lot of focus on shopping in store and ordering online, especially for clothing items (many of which only had one of each size in stock), but the manager was willing to sell stock of logo apparel in store.

3) That same manager mentioned that they should be getting artwork for the new logo in the next month or so, and had been instructed to slowly roll it out – reinforcing the idea of an evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, change.

4) A staff member from ANC mentioned a policy change allowing her to wear logo apparel 2 days a week, instead of standard uniform - which supports the idea of a greater emphasis on the Alaska name, since most uniform apparel uses other brand elements.
I visited the company store yesterday... pretty neat. Picked myself up this 1/200 model of a 739:

$20 online, but it was only $16 in store (and compare this to $35-40 at the Boeing store for Boeing livery!)

I noticed a lot of the t-shirts with the simple old "Alaska" logo across the chest had been retagged (but not indicated as clearance) down to $8 (I don't see it online, but there's a similar "Alaska Airlines" tee going for $12)
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Company store prices are a bit better...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Company store prices are a bit better...
It was explained to me that everyone who shops at the store on International Boulevard gets what would be the employee discount. There are a few items that only employees can purchase, but otherwise the store is open to everyone.

The “I am Alaska” t-shirts are a great deal at $5 each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.