Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com:

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If its not on the award chart its not allowed.
  • No stopover on intra-regional awards, example Asia to Asia.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS website can be misleading about this.
  • Otherwise open jaw or stopover allowed on each round trip award.
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. Build open jaw and other advance routing by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR.
  • No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Eastern
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Originally Posted by apodo77
One would think in almost 2017 AS could figure out a way to let us book CX awards online.
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
If it comes to pass, it would be *wonderful* to be able to book CX online through the AS mileage plan.
Response from Mileage Plan customer service:

I did try to look at our website and when looking at this it does look like we should be showing the Cathay Pacific flights as you can book onto that airline. I have gone ahead and sent this off to our web team for them to look at since we can book a award ticket onto them when on the phone we should be able to do the same at our website.
Maybe... fingers still crossed.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Response from Mileage Plan customer service:

I did try to look at our website and when looking at this it does look like we should be showing the Cathay Pacific flights as you can book onto that airline. I have gone ahead and sent this off to our web team for them to look at since we can book a award ticket onto them when on the phone we should be able to do the same at our website.
Maybe... fingers still crossed.

^ Ooooh ... maybe this will be our holiday gift from Alaska!

(Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?)
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
^ Ooooh ... maybe this will be our holiday gift from Alaska!

(Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?)
I dread the day CX awards go online...
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
+10!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by beckoa
It's already online for BA and others tho
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by hiima
It's already online for BA and others tho
...not at the same value.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
How come I still have to teach Alaska Mileage Plan agents that they have to search for US to JAPAN availability segement by segment (USA-HKG;HKG-NRT/HND/KIX) on Cathay Pacific instead of doing a simple USA-JAPAN search that always comes up with no availability ?

Last edited by MasterGeek; Nov 27, 2016 at 1:09 pm
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
How come I still have to teach Alaska Mileage Plan agents that they have to search for US to JAPAN availability segement by segment (USA-HKD;HKD-NRT/HND/KIX) on Cathay Pacific instead of doing a simple USA-JAPAN search that always comes up with no availability ?
Would using the correct airport code (HKG) help?

I usually don't have problems feeding segment by segment when I redeem AS awards, even for AA awards that are bookable online. I don't suppose I am "teaching" anyone by doing this, but it seems to work.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Not sure of the best way to do this. I am going to book my wife & two tickets one in F and the other in J and hope the F will open prior to departure. Should I make two bookings one for my wife in F and one for me in J? If both seats are on one reservation they can't change that one seat can they? Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Pulley
Not sure of the best way to do this. I am going to book my wife & two tickets one in F and the other in J and hope the F will open prior to departure. Should I make two bookings one for my wife in F and one for me in J? If both seats are on one reservation they can't change that one seat can they? Thanks
You'll have to book two tickets since you can't have one person in J and one in F in the same reservation.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:49 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Anyone know if Dragon Air flights are now bookable with AS since being re-branded to Cathay Dragon?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:57 am

They're still KA flights, not CX
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:33 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Of course...it would just be too easy
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Can you mix Business flight and First class flight in same one-way award ? eg: KIX-HKG in J and HKG-JFK in F

How would it be priced ?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:53 pm

Hi -

It will be priced at the F redemption rate. so 70K one way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.