New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:39 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFan
Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the fourth call before the seats were gone. I made 3 calls over 2 days with no luck. There must be a better way......
Online booking..
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99
Online booking..
CX awards are not bookable online.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:32 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the fourth call before the seats were gone. I made 3 calls over 2 days with no luck. There must be a better way......

The seats do disappear quickly. I made my 4 calls back to back each time. No reason to wait to call back since the problem with AS agents not seeing the seats is an agent specific problem.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:59 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travellingwineO
CX awards are not bookable online.
Exactly - he said there must be a better way. And the better way is AS getting online booking to work!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:17 am

"
No reason to wait to call back since the problem with AS agents not seeing the seats is an agent specific problem."

I don't understand this, when I give them the dates, time, flight #'s, arrival & departure airports. I don't think that I could make it any easier for them, although I am new at this.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1P, LANPASS GM
Is this a legal / acceptable routing for a CX award with Alaska?

Biz class BKK-HKG-ORD-SEA (on AS)? I forget the rules on partner awards connecting to AS.

A couple follow up questions, assuming it is okay:

If booking in J space on CX, what kind of award space would have to be available on the ORD-SEA AS flight?

Could one make a stopover in ORD for a few days?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by brimalloy
Is this a legal / acceptable routing for a CX award with Alaska?

Biz class BKK-HKG-ORD-SEA (on AS)? I forget the rules on partner awards connecting to AS.

A couple follow up questions, assuming it is okay:

If booking in J space on CX, what kind of award space would have to be available on the ORD-SEA AS flight?

Could one make a stopover in ORD for a few days?
Its allegedly not a legal routing to backtrack to ORD but some have had luck finding agents to allow it.

Stop-over is allowed in HKG but some have reported success getting one at the US Gateway.

For the AS legs you are looking for A (saver first) or W (saver economy)
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:49 pm

"
No reason to wait to call back since the problem with AS agents not seeing the seats is an agent specific problem."

I don't understand this, when I give them the dates, time, flight #'s, arrival & departure airports. I don't think that I could make it any easier for them, although I am new at this.
I have not had an agent explain it to me in a way that makes it translatable. Suffice it to say, some more experienced agents know how to look for CX award seats in a way that is different from the standard way. I booked/changed 3 times. Every single time I called to book or make a change (when I saw the F seats were available on ba.com), the first three agents failed to see the seats, but on the fourth call, the agent saw them. When I asked what the difference was, the agent who was able to see the seats muttered something about knowing of a slightly different way to look. Don't ask why. Just know that HUCA works.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
So there is a flight to the US that I would like to book.
CX JL BA QF all see the seat. AS does not.

I've called about 18 times already - partner desk, normal phone line, CX award hotline. Nothing works at all.

I'm not sure if I should give up. Are there seats that will NEVER show up on AS or am I just unlucky finding that agent who can book it?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
If you provide the flight details, we can help debugging.

Originally Posted by lsed
So there is a flight to the US that I would like to book.
CX JL BA QF all see the seat. AS does not.

I've called about 18 times already - partner desk, normal phone line, CX award hotline. Nothing works at all.

I'm not sure if I should give up. Are there seats that will NEVER show up on AS or am I just unlucky finding that agent who can book it?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by travellingwineO
I have not had an agent explain it to me in a way that makes it translatable. Suffice it to say, some more experienced agents know how to look for CX award seats in a way that is different from the standard way. I booked/changed 3 times. Every single time I called to book or make a change (when I saw the F seats were available on ba.com), the first three agents failed to see the seats, but on the fourth call, the agent saw them. When I asked what the difference was, the agent who was able to see the seats muttered something about knowing of a slightly different way to look. Don't ask why. Just know that HUCA works.
It likely means the first 3 agents didn't know they are supposed to use the "old system" for CX and LA bookings. All other partner carriers are on the same web front end system the external website uses. I do question, did you mention it was CX up front or just give the city information? I always get a "let me transfer you to the partner desk" as soon as I mention CX.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
This is a very good tip.

Originally Posted by CDKing
I do question, did you mention it was CX up front or just give the city information? I always get a "let me transfer you to the partner desk" as soon as I mention CX.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:56 am

It likely means the first 3 agents didn't know they are supposed to use the "old system" for CX and LA bookings. All other partner carriers are on the same web front end system the external website uses. I do question, did you mention it was CX up front or just give the city information? I always get a "let me transfer you to the partner desk" as soon as I mention CX.
I always mentioned it was CX and got trasnferred to the partner desk. I always immediately suggested they use the "old system" to look. The responses I got were always the same: "no seats". The agents who ended up booking the seats all had one thing in common. They were more experienced.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One time when I called to change an existing booking that could be a bit tricky due to 2 PNRs on same flight, 1 in F 1 in J, and the flight we wanted had exactly 1 F and 1 J available, I opened the conversation to the agent "may be this change needs the partner desk to handle it." The agent said, "I am the partner desk. Just tell me what you need." She fully understood what I tried to accomplish and the fear (losing the other 1 seat when she was doing 1 change). She assured me with CX there would not be an issue 0- she could just grab the single F and single J for each passenger first, then proceeded to change flights on the corresponding PNRs. The whole change went on smoothly, even got a small tax refund for no reason as the itinerary was identical.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Happy
even got a small tax refund for no reason as the itinerary was identical
foreign exchange rate differences on airport taxes, perhaps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.