Community
Wiki Posts
Search

pet travel on airtran

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

pet travel on airtran

Hi, I will be flying with my pet for the first time on Dec 22nd. I am taking her in the cabin and the dimensions of the pet carrier posted on the site is really hard to find. My dog is about 11-12 lbs and I was wondering if anyone has flown with this size pet on this airline and what kind of carrier was used and what kind of seat was best for pet storage. Thanks so much! kind of stressing about this after hearing horror stories!
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC E
I have tried a few carriers and find the best by far is the Sherpa backpack. It turns and slides under the seat very easily vs the regular ones that are rectangular and you have to cram in. The largest airline one should fit (google it). It's also really easy to carry as a backpack, with handle or over the shoulder and best of all it looks like a laptop so no one even knows you have a dog in there.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:10 pm

I forgot to mention that dogs are placed in the window seat (on every flight I've been on) because there is more room under the seat. Only one dog/child per row because there are 4 oxygen masks.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

thanks

Thanks for your reply Daria but I checked the dimensions on the Sherpa backpack and they are a little large. Does Airtran actively measure everything or just eyeball the carriers?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:23 am

I checked the medium size and its ok for the regs (holds pets up to 16"). Holding the bag it is 12" high but when you slide it under it is 9". I am surprised Air Tran has such a short restriction on length. WS is 16". Looking on the sherpa site it seems that this is the only size they have in the backpack so must be what I use for my dogs. It's not here but will see if I can find out. You can call Sherpa to see if they have a larger size Toll Free: 1-800-743-7723

They just eyeball the carrier. In all my travels I have only ever seen one dog inspected and that was because we were at the largest show in Canada so lots of us flying out. The woman just eyeballed it and wasn't sure how it fit under the seat. The dog had plenty of room and was in an approved carrier. It is the person at the ticket counter who would inspect but I have never seen them measured.

What kind of dog and how long is the flight? That could make a difference in how much room is needed to make him comfy.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again, she is half Jack Russell and half Pekinese. She is about 12lbs. Flying from Vegas to NY with a layover in Atlanta so probably about 3 hours each flight. Do you know if Atlanta has a dog area for layovers?
Thanks again!
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:05 pm

I suspect she will be fine! They have a holding area for dogs going baggage/cargo but not sure as carry on. Unless you have a hard sided kennel with you, this might not be a good option. She can't stay in the soft unsupervised and you don't want her loose. That is one reason I really like the backpack Sherpa - it's easy to carry and no one knows there is a dog in there. I have gone into restaurants, bars, etc. no one notices. They think its a laptop case.

Happy trails.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by shellydr
Thanks again, she is half Jack Russell and half Pekinese. She is about 12lbs. Flying from Vegas to NY with a layover in Atlanta so probably about 3 hours each flight. Do you know if Atlanta has a dog area for layovers?
Thanks again!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:00 pm

dog traveling on airtran for 1st time

Originally Posted by shellydr
Thanks again!
Hi, just wondering how the trip went with your dog?? I am flying from denver to pensacola, fl with a layover in Atlanta & my dog has never flown before either. The measurments that Airtran gave me were smaller than the sherpa bag that she fit in. She is 13 lbs. What bag did you use and did they measure it? Thanks! ~KC
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:06 am

Welcome to FT, KIMFIN78. ^ ^ ^

Originally Posted by Daria
Only one dog/child per row because there are 4 oxygen masks.
Not to appear inhumane, but those oxygen masks are intended for use on animals too?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 4:11 pm

Flying soon

I read the previous posts, noticed that some of you mention flying with 20-30pound dogs. How do you do it. We just got our carrier today from Petco.com, which is suppose to be the AirTran dimensions. Our 20 pound Cavalier won't fit into it. So I saw a post that recommended the Sherpa backpack, which looks ok, sort of tight for her size, but better (at least she can stand up) but it says it's only good for dogs up to 16 pounds.

I'm so nervous that we're going to be standing at the AirTran counter and have a problem.

Thx
Jlocke
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by yashan
Welcome to FT, KIMFIN78. ^ ^ ^

Not to appear inhumane, but those oxygen masks are intended for use on animals too?
Are they intended? No. But I don't see any flight attendant stopping a pax from using it on their dog, provided there were ample for everybody else.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 7:16 am

Honestly, if you're in an emergency where your oxygen masks drop down, I can guarantee you that the flight attendants have other worries than making sure the masks are only used on humans... (Assuming, as you said, every person gets one first... )
Old Feb 9, 2008, 9:03 am

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
Smile

We take our 30 pound dog on AirTran all of the time. She is a foot tall and two feet in length. She can fit in coach, but we normally upgrade to business class so we're comfy and she's comfy.

They're very accommodating with pets. Just make sure to register the pet in advance with your ticket because they only allow a couple of pets per plane for saftey reasons in case of evacuation. You'll be happy to know that aircraft evacuation plans include pets as I've been told by flight attendants . . .
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:25 am

3 pets per flight is the max...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.