Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Air Berlin Still Crediting Miles to AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EX PLAT

Greetings all,

Just off the phone with AA customer service. As of today, AB is still crediting miles to AA Advantage, for any of those who wish to do so.

Not sure if this crediting process goes through TopBonus, but it doesnt seem like it?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:02 am

Thanks for the update. I'm flying PRG-TXL-SFO tomorrow, and I was wondering if I would be getting anything at all...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by airmarc
Not sure if this crediting process goes through TopBonus, but it doesnt seem like it?
AA has its own programme called AAdvantage. If you collect miles with AA, this is the only programme through which the "crediting process" works.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Originally Posted by irishguy28
AA has its own programme called AAdvantage. If you collect miles with AA, this is the only programme through which the "crediting process" works.
Yes, I am aware since this is where I always credit my miles. My point was on the AB side, and the "administration process" of relaying the completed trip to AAdvantage. Does TopBonus do that communication, or is it a seemless system relay between the airlines. Obviously anything administration wise at AB could be in question these days.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Topbonus is a completely separate entity from Airberlin (it is owned by Etihad Airways) and sits only on the interface between topbonus customers and the various oneworld, Etihad Airways Partners and other partners that topbonus deals with.

You - as an AAdvantage customer travelling on airberlin - exist entirely outside the topbonus universe. It is in no way responsible for "distributing" miles to AAdvantage customers who happen to fly on airberlin, just as AAdvantage is in no way responsible for, say, distributing Avios to BA customers who happen to fly on AA.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Totally understand that airberlin and not top bonus is providing information to their partners on flights flown. Tickets were bought on airberlin online flights were August 22d and yesterday. The August flights have not posted to AA. AA FF was definitely on the record and check in agent could see as well. How long should crediting take? Should I request on the AA site?I
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:09 am

AB is not paying - so you will not be able to credit their flights to any program.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
AB is not paying - so you will not be able to credit their flights to any program.
Oh well, at least I don't need the miles to keep my EXP status, and I can consider myself lucky to fly AB once before their demise.

Connecting at TXL though...what a disaster. No wonder they went bankrupt. After doing that once, I can't imagine doing it again...
AB service itself was great. Sad we are losing them.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by cpdc1030
Oh well, at least I don't need the miles to keep my EXP status, and I can consider myself lucky to fly AB once before their demise.

Connecting at TXL though...what a disaster. No wonder they went bankrupt. After doing that once, I can't imagine doing it again...
AB service itself was great. Sad we are losing them.
My sentiments exactly, although I transferred intra Europe at txl 2 years ago and it was fine, with the security at each of the gates. last week the "c" gates going to the US were crazy. My daughter and I were separated as she received the dreaded ssss on her boarding pass, and there was a single file line with 3 security personnel checking each person. I had to board the plane, and tell the FA's that my daughter was still in the security line. They assured me the plane would not leave without her and it did not. Service and crew were great.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:15 pm

I believe you.. but what is the source of this?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldiswide
I believe you.. but what is the source of this?
I beg to differ. I think one of the following two are more likely.

1.) AB already purchased a bank of miles from partners. No new debt for partners to "credit" miles to partner's member account as they are consuming this lot of "prepaid" miles.

2.) AB will continue to "credit" miles to partners by sending flight activity information to partner FFP. It's up to the partners to decide whether they will credit to member knowing there is a risk they would eventually not get "paid" by AB.

Both of these scenarios fit better with the posts in this thread which suggest each partner is deciding when to stop being FFP partner with AB.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf

Both of these scenarios fit better with the posts in this thread which suggest each partner is deciding when to stop being FFP partner with AB.
It's going on for 2 weeks now since oneworld announced that all members were suspending accrual on AB flights.

If the flight is operated by AB but coded, say, BA and you collect with BA's programme, you should be fine. Ditto for the others. However, if your flight is operated by AB, coded by BA (for example), and you collect with a third FFP (ie not with either BA or AB), then this may, again, be problematic.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA has not mentioned anything about AB. Seems to me AB continues to send flight activity and up to partners to decide whether to credit or not.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Be warned that this may change without notice, or even with retro-active effect.

BA initially announced an ending date several weeks in the future, before then almost immediately reversing themselves and terminating earning with immediate effect.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:44 pm

I requested credit with AA online yesterday. Will post back with the resolution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.