Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RANT: The TXL Baggie Scam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
TXL is also a base for Germanwimgs. Using your "logic" you might as well have posted your rant in the LH forum.
Or you could have posted your rant in the forum for practical travel safety and security issues...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...ty-issues-686/
So?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by blue2002
So?
I pointed out that there's a forum that was created specifically to discuss the the type of issue you're ranting about, and that's the only response you can come up with? How sad.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Oct 27, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:27 pm

I had the (dis)pleasure of transferring at TXL a few times in the recent weeks... Don't take this wrong. AB is a fine airline and I enjoyed all flights. What p!sses me off is the pre-flight security setup at TXL. Firstly, their attitudes suck (not all of them, but a noticeable part of the contingent). Secondly, not only is TXL the only airport I have seen in the past few years that still requires these little idiotic plastic ziploc bags for liquids. The security folks always refer passengers only to the automatic dispensers, which supposedly offer 2 bags for EUR 1. The trouble is: two times now the machines stiffed me without dispensing the @*&%# bags. The machines are labelled Beyer Airportservice (to my best recollection), with no phone number or email address provided. Not that I would waste time to contact them over 1 EUR, but it is a matter of principle.

Thankfully several other stores at TXL (including the pharmacy, which tends to have the shortest lineups) sell the stupid bags (1 @ EUR 0.50). Still, the security's insistence on baggies and the consistent redirection to non-working dispensers makes me wonder about a connection there.

Come on TXL, straighten up and fly right!
TXL and every other airport I have flown through on 4 continents require those "little idiotic plastic bags". Your poor planning is somehow the airports fault?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by largeeyes
TXL and every other airport I have flown through on 4 continents require those "little idiotic plastic bags". Your poor planning is somehow the airports fault?
His REPEATED poor planning. You would think that after he went through TXL the first time, he would make sure to have a ziploc bag for the next trip(s), but that is obviously too much to ask for...

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Oct 28, 2015 at 2:09 am
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
This is a standard rule. Good luck keeping your stuff on a US flight from HKG without a baggie - they even take sealed bottles of water that you get in the terminal.

ATH has the best freedom baggies - they are longer and a touch skinnier, so they are really good if you have odd shaped stuff.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N1120A
This is a standard rule. Good luck keeping your stuff on a US flight from HKG without a baggie - they even take sealed bottles of water that you get in the terminal.
The OP has described his ignorance and ranting perfectly in this post:
funny how ignorance and indignation go hand in hand...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Turkish Elite... oh yeah, and of course: Starbucks Gold :P
i think i do get what OP means (maybe). in any airport i have been lately, there was no need to put your liquid stuff in the "little idiotic plastic bag", as long at it is extremely obvious that it is less than the maximum allowance (-> as it happens to be the case with the one single 100 ml item i usually travel with).

well, in any airport but TXL, where i'm consequently forced to put even one (!!) single 100 ml tube in the plastic bag, which - law or not - is just either plainly idiotic and brainless or a rip off. that said, of course i do always have one of those pretty bags with me, esp. as TXL is the only place i have seen for a long, long time which still charge you for the stupid thing. but it fits to the rest of my feelings towards TXL, even if it might have been once a great, thoughtfully planed airport with a quite unique time-saving layout (besides the AB-"container terminal" which is just a big joke, of course), it has become an appallingly worn off, sad shelter of depression imho.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flolee
i think i do get what OP means (maybe).
Yes, you do get it. Thank you.^
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by flolee
i think i do get what OP means (maybe). in any airport i have been lately, there was no need to put your liquid stuff in the "little idiotic plastic bag", as long at it is extremely obvious that it is less than the maximum allowance (-> as it happens to be the case with the one single 100 ml item i usually travel with).

well, in any airport but TXL, where i'm consequently forced to put even one (!!) single 100 ml tube in the plastic bag, which - law or not - is just either plainly idiotic and brainless or a rip off. that said, of course i do always have one of those pretty bags with me, esp. as TXL is the only place i have seen for a long, long time which still charge you for the stupid thing. but it fits to the rest of my feelings towards TXL, even if it might have been once a great, thoughtfully planed airport with a quite unique time-saving layout (besides the AB-"container terminal" which is just a big joke, of course), it has become an appallingly worn off, sad shelter of depression imho.
The "idiotic and brainless" issue are the few arrogant travelers believing that they don't need to obey rules. I had one of these guys in front of me at DUS today with at least 15 tiny liquid items without a bag in his hand luggage using fast track and then povocativly slowly packing everything into a plastic container after having been asked to do so The best thing to do for security would have been to send this guy to the end of the line again giving him the time do do his homework
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
I'm flying out of TXL later this year for the very first time, so I'm glad I ran into this thread. I'll make sure to bring my own $.02 plastic Ziploc baggies from home.

Originally Posted by largeeyes
TXL and every other airport I have flown through on 4 continents require those "little idiotic plastic bags".
Every airport I have flown through on 5 continents has not cared even a little bit. Except one; Heathrow. Even at that bastion of incremental revenue, they give the bags out for free.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I always have a freedom baggie. That way, if I do have something to get indignant about in the process, they can't point at that.

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The "idiotic and brainless" issue are the few arrogant travelers believing that they don't need to obey rules.
Uh, no. While I dislike those who play dumb to the rules or complain when they ignore the obvious, the freedom baggie thing is, indeed, idiotic and brainless.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
It is so easy: It is the law. Laws might be stupid or not, they are however binding.
Out of curiosity, since you are the lawyer in this crowd, can you provide a reference to the specific law?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I don't bring that much, so when I go through security I just throw them directly into the tray (1 pair of contact lens and 1 eye drop) - I never have any trouble with it.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
I don't bring that much, so when I go through security I just throw them directly into the tray (1 pair of contact lens and 1 eye drop) - I never have any trouble with it.
Based on my experience that is not allowed at TXL.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Based on my experience that is not allowed at TXL.
That's crazy - 1 pair of contact lens and a 10ml of eye drop, even a kid can tell that it's under 1l in total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.