Wiki Posts
Search

Airfare Rant

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Permanent nobody on AA, UA, QF & NZ
Airfare Rant

I know NZ do cheaper flights to the states out of australia to try and steal some of that market but didnt realise till today just how much cheaper..

it seems ridiculous that I can buy separate akl-syd to catch syd-akl-xxx-ord and still come out $400 cheaper than akl-xxx-ord in march in economy, return.

I get the whole idea of wanting to grow their market share but it seems a little bit extreme that I can do the trip from sydney for $1400 NZD vs $2300 NZD flying out of AKL for the same flights and dates. Thats a big enough saving to seriously consider the extra 6 hours of flying. (edit: 12hrs including the return)

by comparison on same flights:
PE from SYD NZD3300 from AKL NZD 4900
Business is only a NZD500 saving

If they can do that from Australia there must be some room to make it a little bit cheaper for locals to actually use their national carrier surely?

Last edited by Dweeb007; Sep 18, 2017 at 1:01 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
It's not isolated to Air NZ. You'll find other carriers do the same thing in various ports. I can fly Qantas J through to Perth for way cheaper than Aussies can fly East coast Oz to Perth.

Grabaseat fares recently for economy have been pretty impressive compared to previous fares.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Often an airline flying from home base/home country has more expensive fares than an opposition airline flying via its home base.

A few months ago QF were offering NZ-Aust-USA business class fares several $1000 less than QF Aust-USA (on the same flight)

On the BA forum many threads about booking BA business/first class ex Eu (Eu-LHR-xxx) and saving a lot.
nancypants and Ellice like this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
That's why you also earn less APD/SP ex Aus than ex NZ despite flying longer distance.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
My wife and I took advantage of NZ's cheaper flights from Australia and are flying home from YVR>AKL this weekend. We are due to fly the AKL>SYD connecting flight the weekend after. But she won't be able to make this 2nd flight now (I will though).

Does anyone know for certain whether the Status Points for these flights will post after the 1st or 2nd flight? I assume they'll post after the 1st flight and then nothing will post after the 2nd flight. When we did the earlier flights, PER>AKL earned nothing and AKL>ORD earned all the expected points. If she absolutely must fly the 2nd flight to get the Status Points for the long 1st flight, she won't roll over Elite this year.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Yes, always had mine credited after completing both the flights.
Easiest way to tell is by looking at the potential earnings section in the app where it is broken down by journey leg. This year I took advantage of really cheap PE fares to US ex-AU so did SYD-AKL in June and AKL-IAH this week but no SPs yet for SYD-AKL but should see them after AKL-IAH flight which is expected.

Last edited by gambda; Oct 15, 2019 at 2:05 pm Reason: .
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I would only expect to see SP earn on completion of the full journey. There are basically only two exceptions to the journey rule - domestic international addon fares (due to the fare class and basis used for these) and domestic change of direction.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Thanks for the replies. We've found a way for her to come to Sydney after all. Once we've flown, I'll post back here to confirm whether the SPs posted on completion of YVR>AKL or only after the AKL>SYD flight (expecting the latter).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.