Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of the 763s

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
NZ 763 was my first, ever, international business class flight (CHC-SIN) in 1997. I thought it was absolutely amazing (having flown Y long haul before between NZ and Europe and Asia). The room, the food/wine, personal IFE screens (on a loop of course, no personal screens in Y), lounges, spoilt me for life. Since then, business class seats and IFE have only got (much) better, catering however has slipped.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Last week!

Mar 31st Friday Syd-Akl last flight???

I have to say I will miss the blue green livery. Probably a few props with it left but probably not for long.

Y is $690 bag only!
You'd really have to like the 763 to pay that much! isn't the current J sale around $599.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Around the day they announced it there was a TT sale on and R availability. I really wish I'd booked it now.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
You'd really have to like the 763 to pay that much! isn't the current J sale around $599.
J is above the 1,000 mark. I was surprised Y fares alone were that steep. Haven't bought though.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by libertyuk
NZ 763 was my first, ever, international business class flight (CHC-SIN) in 1997. I thought it was absolutely amazing (having flown Y long haul before between NZ and Europe and Asia). The room, the food/wine, personal IFE screens (on a loop of course, no personal screens in Y), lounges, spoilt me for life. Since then, business class seats and IFE have only got (much) better, catering however has slipped.
My one and only Air NZ op up was SIN-CHC in 1998 on the 763. Ironically it was the 2nd time I'd ever flown business, the first was an op upgrade on my prior Emirates 777 flight from CAI-SIN. How I managed to fluke 2 in a row (my only 2 ever!) is a miracle but it certainly spoilt me as a young backpacker.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
My one and only Air NZ op up was SIN-CHC in 1998 on the 763. Ironically it was the 2nd time I'd ever flown business, the first was an op upgrade on my prior Emirates 777 flight from CAI-SIN. How I managed to fluke 2 in a row (my only 2 ever!) is a miracle but it certainly spoilt me as a young backpacker.
My recollection includes a trolley with fruit laid out as in a buffet, with cheeses with the flight attendant holding a plate as you asked for what combination of fruit, cheese and biscuits you wanted (and port or cognac) That came after a dessert trolley so you could look at the selection (there were always two choices) and the dessert wine.

After than flight I was on Swissair (before it went under) on an MD-11 with one of the first AVOD IFE systems in business.

That one return trip to Europe in business saw me receive a strange looking pack from Air NZ saying I had something called Gold status with two paper upgrade vouchers (which I duly used on a subsequent trip to go from Y to C from LAX-AKL via HNL on a 747-200!). From there on in a new world of flying with more comfort spoilt me for life.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
That one return trip to Europe in business saw me receive a strange looking pack from Air NZ saying I had something called Gold status with two paper upgrade vouchers (which I duly used on a subsequent trip to go from Y to C from LAX-AKL via HNL on a 747-200!). From there on in a new world of flying with more comfort spoilt me for life.
Ah, the days when status credits were a little more generous, and long haul award availability actually existed. I'm not even sure what the point of RUs is, given they never clear.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:09 pm

My recollection includes a trolley with fruit laid out as in a buffet, with cheeses with the flight attendant holding a plate as you asked for what combination of fruit, cheese and biscuits you wanted (and port or cognac) That came after a dessert trolley so you could look at the selection (there were always two choices) and the dessert wine.
My fond memories were
Beef fillet (whole steak) that could be served the way you like it (med-rare to well done).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:01 pm

Air NZ still have beef fillet to Japan. I had it both ways in PE in Nov - it was delicious but no choice of how it was cooked.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Air NZ still have beef fillet to Japan. I had it both ways in PE in Nov - it was delicious but no choice of how it was cooked.
The burger with fried egg is a novelty too.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
How was it cooked? I hate blood in my steak.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
How was it cooked? I hate blood in my steak.
Way over was a little overdone, way back was a perfect medium steak.

For food safety reasons I can imagine it'd be pretty hard to do anything rare especially when it has to be reheated.

I just don't understand why we can't have steak flying to the US and have to settle for a burger if you want meat. (Well I probably do understand - a burger probably costs less than a steak)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Finally the day has come, so good knowing from tomorrow your 777/787 Tasman service won't be subbed for an 763!

While they were great, they definitely had been kept on service In there current condition for way to Long.

Anyone know if they have anything planned to NZ108's departure tonight? Surely nothing for arrival since it will be midnight.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:50 pm

I had to laugh at comments on the Stuff story from people saying the seats were cramped. Clearly none of those people have flown on a modern aircraft to know what cramped means.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I had to laugh at comments on the Stuff story from people saying the seats were cramped. Clearly none of those people have flown on a modern aircraft to know what cramped means.
They probably have, but like most people, they don't know the difference between a 767 and a Harvard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.