Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Ways to avoid wasting Recognition Upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ways to avoid wasting Recognition Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
While it's no doubt a system limitation, it would open up plenty of "what if" situations, and potentially be a fantastic way to scam Air NZ.

If you downgraded it would need to be to the same booking class if R class wasn't available to clear immediately. What happens if that class isn't now available? They'd have to give you the next available class - in which case it'd be the perfect opportunity to scam APD and SP.

Getting RU's clear to North America is becoming a lot harder due to loadings. I even changed my plans for later in the year and flew a day later to get guaranteed R availability rather than take my chances on a Friday night NZ8 that's already pretty full.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
There's no technical reason for this. The most complex scenario would be to rebook in the nearest available economy class inventory with a waitlist in the original booking class, queue it over to yield management and they should clear it. That's what you do for high value customers. Unless you're Air NZ.

The day SQ gives the NZ market a good credit card alternative, I'll begin migrating to KrisFlyer. Unless NZ smartens up.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:00 pm

Booked aflexi economy ticket from RAR to AKL and put in upgrade request. Had to cancel trip but find that RU has gone, disappeared into space.
Seems NZ doing all they can to annoy people these days.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Booked aflexi economy ticket from RAR to AKL and put in upgrade request. Had to cancel trip but find that RU has gone, disappeared into space.
Seems NZ doing all they can to annoy people these days.
What was the expiry date of the RU?

The most likely scenario for that to happen is if it's an expired RU because that can't be credited back to your account automatically.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
My wife and I have a GE RU gifted to each of us. Currently booked in PE HND-AKL mid-Jan on 772.

Our Air NZ Airpoints numbers (no status) are not in the booking, but staff at AirNZ have said this is not a problem and that they can see the RU is on request. We have our TG*G and TG*S respectively in the bookings.

I understand that because the GE member is not travelling with us, our RUs will only be assessed very late in the process, perhaps even at the gate. Our expectation is that nothing will happen, and we could be pleasantly surprised!

Questions:
1. Would anybody be nervous NOT having their AP numbers in the booking? Any evidence to suggest this is a risk?

2. I also understand that OneUps will be finalised some days prior to the departure - but somewhat confused over the hierarchy/priority between RU vs OneUp, especially in regard of Airpoints Status. Is there a simple guide to which upgrade is cleared when?

I am assuming that in our circumstances we must be at, or near, the bottom!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
edit: answering above

1. No, your flights should show "upgrade pending" when you log on to the air NZ website

2. No one knows for sure but your GE RU will be processed first over OneUps from my experience.

Last edited by dadig; Sep 17, 2017 at 1:39 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

edit: answering above
1. No, your flights should show "upgrade pending" when you log on to the air NZ website
2. No one knows for sure but your GE RU will be processed first over OneUps from my experience.
I am not GE, just have a generous friend!

When I use MMB without logging in, the upgrades do not show at all, let alone as being pending.

When I log into my Airpoints account, the upgrades also do not show - unsurprising since my number is not in the booking, only my TG number.

Still, the Air NZ customer service lady said she could see the upgrades are lodged. Complicating things slightly, is that the first sector is GMP-HND on OZ in Y. This is why I want my TG*G status in the booking, but do wonder if it complicates in any way the RU process. It is an OZ flight, not the Air NZ codeshare.

I suppose I could set FQTV to Airpoints and FQTS to TG, but frankly I am not interested in accruing any airpoints...

I remain interested in any advice on the hierarchy of RUs clearing, especially in the circumstances I have described upthread, and any other advice on the merits of having/needing my Airports number in the booking.

Cheers, TK
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:44 am

Based on comments on here a while back NZ no longer support split FQTV/FQTS. The fact your booking doesn't have an Airpoints # associated may be the reason.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Based on comments on here a while back NZ no longer support split FQTV/FQTS. The fact your booking doesn't have an Airpoints # associated may be the reason.
Thanks.

Anybody have experience or comment on whether the absence of my Aipoinst account number in an Air NZ booking with a gufted RU lodged is a problem or bit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.