Wiki Posts
Search

1 point away from new status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

1 point away from new status

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you knew if it was possible to be upgraded a tier if you're only 1 point away?

Looking at my potential earnings for the next couple months I'm 1 status point short....

Or should I just take a quick flight to WLG in the weekend? lol
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
When you get to 1 point short call Air NZ.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
+1 on giving them a call.

The other option would be get a status point earning credit card. You can compare status point and airpoint earning (and the respective cost of each card) here: http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpo...mparison-table
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Interesting my brother is in the same position today (but has a flight this evening to get that 1 point!).

I know a threshold is threshold, but really, why don't they just give out a bonus point and upgrade status?

After all they have been known to give gold away (I got Gold status given to me for a certain big birthday)
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There will happily give one point - a few weeks ago somebody posted in here who was around 15 short.. Of course it does deoend what status you're after as to what how many points they'll give.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
sure, but why not just do it - proactive
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:25 am

I called them yesterday to see what the official response was.. I am 39 away and will only be 7 points away from gold this wednesday after buying a couple of up and back same day status runs cheaply... they said not sure if they waive points unless you are talking elite sometimes they do for elite.. thing is I lose hundreds and hundreds of status earnt off credit card down the drain each month so im hoping they may acknowledge that when I call again on wednesday
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I will give them a call once im 1 point off and give it a go.

Either way, I don't mind having a quick trip to WLG either haha.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
sure, but why not just do it - proactive
Slippery slope. Where do you draw the line and say no? 5? 10? 15? 20? And once you've settled on a number, why not just reduce the qualification level to that number?

I'm happy to leave it where it is, and it be judged case by case. Certainly if someone is Elite and close to requalifying that should be given higher priority than someone who is Gold and close to hitting Elite, for example. As should the number of years they've had status and what forward bookings they might have.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:59 am

Requested the final 7 points be waived to get gold only yesterday and less than 24hrs later got the answer I was looking for.. thanks AirNz.. I didnt want to have to book another status run for just 7 points! Staff member I spoke to said he was confident due to it being under 10 points away. Thats despite previous person a week prior saying it was unlikely.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
when domestic flights are 8SP, it seems reasonable to chuck anything <8 as a gesture of goodwill, but only if it's requested.

well done!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: airnz elite
I got 15 points given to me when close to elite recently...just called them up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.