Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Westpac bumps BNZ as Air NZ points partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westpac bumps BNZ as Air NZ points partner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Craig Whitmore
Quick, painless and approved but was shocked how much credit a bank will give someone.
They offered me an credit limit 3x higher than my current global plus, I wonder what they are basing there credit checks on? seemed to get approved in 20 seconds.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Originally Posted by dadig
Most definitely not. Banks rely on these devious schemes that make people switch thinking along the same lines as you have mentioned. Any repayments against the card will reduce the intererest free balance and not new purchases. In your case you end up paying upwards of 16-20% interest daily over the 1K you loaded as 'new purchases'. I.e. Depending on how long you repay the remaining 4k balance you will end up paying double digit interest rates for the 1K along plus anything extra you load against the card
Well I suppose one could don't use the card but use a different one and get interest free ....

Given the World Card doesn't get the first year fee waived. I might go for the Kiwibank. They give $125 bonus APD if you spend $500 in the first 3 months. Westpac only offers 3x points and I don't spend that much. With Westpac to earn $125 APD you need to spend $3,125 under the 3x deal.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
credit offered by westpac

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
They offered me an credit limit 3x higher than my current global plus, I wonder what they are basing there credit checks on? seemed to get approved in 20 seconds.
Hmmh it looks like the credit offered by westpac is a bit mean
They have only offered me about a bit more than a third of what BNZ global grant me
Anyone else found this too?
(I have $110k credit limit with BNZ only granted $45k)

Anyone know if there is a cap on the spending ?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
My guess is they look at your Airpoint Dollars earned from Global Plus spends. I don't know about you guys but I had to log in to my Air NZ account before filling the rest of Westpac form.

They can see your monthly/yearly spend, and give you the limit based on historical data.

You probably spent a lot more with other cards of yours, or you didn't use Global Plus much recently?

No cap on Airpoints earning if that's what you are asking. The cap on spending is your credit limit.

Originally Posted by Beano
Hmmh it looks like the credit offered by westpac is a bit mean
They have only offered me about a bit more than a third of what BNZ global grant me
Anyone else found this too?
(I have $110k credit limit with BNZ only granted $45k)

Anyone know if there is a cap on the spending ?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by milehighclubnz
You probably spent a lot more with other cards of yours, or you didn't use Global Plus much recently?
I use my Global Plus more as an charge card, and pay it off weekly so maybe built up decent credit history with them? In the past 7 years of having one never paid any interest on the card so surely not an very valuable user to them.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
In the past 7 years of having one never paid any interest on the card so surely not an very valuable user to them.
Whilst they will not have been getting interest they will have been taking their cut of the spending on the card.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: NZ Koru & Silver, Assorted others
I've applied for Plat but I think I'll change to World since more times than not I shouldn't have to pay the annual fee, although I guess there's no avoiding the very first time they charge the fee at setup, might have to ring...

Anyone changed to Kiwibank Plat? Any kerfuffle?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I use my Global Plus more as an charge card, and pay it off weekly so maybe built up decent credit history with them? In the past 7 years of having one never paid any interest on the card so surely not an very valuable user to them.
In terms of keeping good history, wouldn't it make sense to consider an Amex Platinum Charge Card? Don't look at their transfer partner conversion rates. The AP Travel bookings actually works out to be the same 65/66 Airpoints burn rate per dollar spent (plus platinum Accor). I suppose the only issue is the annual card fee which can be subsidised if you use the IAP travel deal.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flysally
I've applied for Plat but I think I'll change to World since more times than not I shouldn't have to pay the annual fee, although I guess there's no avoiding the very first time they charge the fee at setup, might have to ring...

Anyone changed to Kiwibank Plat? Any kerfuffle?
I'll be applying for the Kiwibank Plat. After some careful analysis the default travel insurance deal was much better than the Westpac card.

I'm hopeing I don't have to fill out the standard application and can be fast-tracked like the Westpac card, but I'm not holding my breath. Calling them later today.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
ANZ Visa Platinum

- 100 AP when spending $500 in the first 3 months
- no account fee for the first year
- one Airpoint for every $90 spent and one Status Point for every $250

https://www.anz.co.nz/personal/credi...visa-platinum/[/QUOTE]

ANZ just doubled their spending requirement to $1000, and the bonus to 200 APD.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
ANZ Visa Platinum

- 100 AP when spending $500 in the first 3 months
- no account fee for the first year
- one Airpoint for every $90 spent and one Status Point for every $250

https://www.anz.co.nz/personal/credi...visa-platinum/

ANZ just doubled their spending requirement to $1000, and the bonus to 200 APD.
ANZ also upped the earn rate for Plat from 1 April.

New earn rate from 1 April 2015: Earn 1 Airpoints Dollar for every $75 you spend on eligible purchases* plus 1 Status Point for every $250 you spend on eligible purchases.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
The NZ Airpoints credit card market just got rather interesting...

ANZ has now moved to match:
- earn rate to $75/APD with other Platinum grade cards (effective 1st April)
- matching Kiwibank in offering a pair of lounge vouchers per $20k churn (which I always found useless and would rather them give you parking vouchers instead as a product differentiator)

And for those existing ANZ or Kiwibank Platinum card holders (and if you haven't already done so), call them up and say "So Westpac is now offering a Platinum Airpoints card with waived annual fee", and both bank will waive your upcoming year's fee pretty much immediately.

Call centre from both pretty much said over the phone (when I called) that they are aware of the increased competition and have higher than usual customer calls in the past week regarding this.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: NZ Koru & Silver, Assorted others
Does anyone know if any of these cards have a cap on the amount of Airpoint dollars you can earn?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by flysally
Does anyone know if any of these cards have a cap on the amount of Airpoint dollars you can earn?
I don't believe so - it would be quite unusual loading up at a burn rate of $65-90 can get expensive quite quickly
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: NZ
I'm a very long term lurker! Also, a Airpoints member of far too long!

Just to say thanks as I've managed to get my ANZ Platinum card annual fees waived for a year. Was told that it was only for new customers but that they would be happy to waive it my case!! Now to call Kiwibank...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.