Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD Koru - when will it reopen?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

SYD Koru - when will it reopen?

Anyone have a guess when the Sydney Koru lounge will reopen? (Last time I was there in December it was being remodelled)

Thanks in advance,

-j
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
April is the planned opening Month, although not official date has been given.

If anything I'd take bets on the goal of 30 April, which marks 75 years of NZ and 75 years of flying AKL-SYD-AKL. Just happens to be they are currently rebuilding the AKL International Lounge as well.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Go to SQ Lounge

Didn't even venture into the basement to face the temp lounge, took the lift up to the SQ lounge. beautiful, enjoying a glass of REAL champagne (not crappy NZ bubbles) and a butter chicken curry!

If you are Star Gold take the lift up not down in Sydney!

Whats the temp facility like?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by oranjemakker

Some "reviews" and thoughts had been captured previously over on this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...ovember-3.html

(Read from Page 3 onwards)

SG are known to turn non SG elites/premium flight customers away (*G) when it's crowded. So your entry into the SG lounge depends on:
- if it's open the same time as your NZ flight
- if it's busy or not
- and if you are willing to get into an argument over *G rules about lounge entry (most people don't like/choose to avoid a potential confrontation)
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kamadan

SG are known to turn non SG elites/premium flight customers away (*G) when it's crowded. So your entry into the SG lounge depends on:
- if it's busy or not
- and if you are willing to get into an argument over *G rules about lounge entry (most people don't like/choose to avoid a potential confrontation)
I had no problem as a Solitaire, was warmly welcomed. It was pretty busy too. A smile always helps.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Nickolash27
I had no problem as a Solitaire, was warmly welcomed. It was pretty busy too. A smile always helps.
I would be shocked if a Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS member gets turned away from... a Singapore Airlines lounge! Imagine the outrage afterwards.

If anything they would kick lower levels of FF members out just to accommodate more PPS members! :P

Unless of course you are referring to something else as "Solitaire".
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended

I would be shocked if a Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS member gets turned away from... a Singapore Airlines lounge! Imagine the outrage afterwards.

If anything they would kick lower levels of FF members out just to accommodate more PPS members! :P

Unless of course you are referring to something else as "Solitaire".
No I meant TPPS, but to clarify, I was flying NZ that day.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: NZ*E

- if it's busy or not
I spent a few hours in Sydney recently while in Transit and the SQ staff were quite happy to welcome me (NZ*G, travelling on a United ticket) despite the lounge being busy.

They didn't appear to close the lounge between SQ flights, but the food buffet did get a little sparse between flights.

Definitely echo previous comments about choosing the SQ lounge over the NZ temp one at the moment, I made the trip downstairs and literally walked in, took one look at the crowded dungeon and decided the terminal looked more appealing!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:19 am

Hi - does anyone have an update as to when the new NZ lounge will open at SYD?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Miles Down Under
Hi - does anyone have an update as to when the new NZ lounge will open at SYD?
Last update they send out was April
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I stopped by the SQ lounge while in Sydney last weekend. Real champers has gone, and out of the 20 or so people in the lounge, my quick walk around showed most had Air NZ boarding passes and NZ passports sitting next to them.

The food offerings were a little bland, but things got better around 1730 as actual SQ passengers started to arrive.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I stopped by the SQ lounge while in Sydney last weekend. Real champers has gone, and out of the 20 or so people in the lounge, my quick walk around showed most had Air NZ boarding passes and NZ passports sitting next to them.

The food offerings were a little bland, but things got better around 1730 as actual SQ passengers started to arrive.
Yes, the food disappears after SQ flights have left - few pickles, hummus, bread, pastries etc.

Wine was good - Peregrine Pinot Noir last time I was there.

They have also gone from an Asian breakfast to a western one, aside from vegetarian noodles.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I was only there to watch the F1 before my flight and had a big screen TV all to myself so can't complain.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Certainly had noticed that since they had stopped being difficult about allowing non-SQ pax into the lounge there has been a real increase in NZ passengers in the lounge. Will be interesting to see if they try to reverse that when the new NZ lounge is open.

SQ had cut real champagne from the business side of the lounge long before this change though...
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Didn't even venture into the basement to face the temp lounge, took the lift up to the SQ lounge. beautiful, enjoying a glass of REAL champagne (not crappy NZ bubbles) and a butter chicken curry!

What's the temp facility like? Reminiscent of the koru lounge at Nandi.

Should have thought of SQ when I was there c a couple of weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.