Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Sydney Koru Lounge Renovations starting 1st November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
During the refurb, travellers on Virgin Australia flight VA1 to Los Angeles are the real winners, with business class guests plus Gold and Platinum members of Velocity instead invited to use the new Etihad lounge at Sydney Airport:

There they join passengers on VA29 to Abu Dhabi, who already have Etihad lounge access before jetting to the UAE.

Guests on Virgin Australia’s shorter international flights to destinations including New Zealand, Fiji and Indonesia, along with eligible Velocity members flying with Air New Zealand, Delta and Hawaiian Airlines can instead use a temporary Air NZ lounge during the construction period.
From Australian Business Traveller
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by edmm
This morning.
It's quite a pleasant lounge, but very small, and very crowded at about 1100, was hard to find a seat. But it was pleasant and comfortable, no outlook as mentioned above.
Food offerings limited to some sandwiches and small wraps (like upstairs in smaller quantities) and they have transplanted the hotdog trolley from upstairs.

Will be okay as a temporary lounge but I definitely wouldn't want to be there on a busy Friday.
Doesn't need to be a Friday to get full. When I visited every seat was taken.

There is no business centre. Very dark and noisy. Showers unavailable (don't know if this is a temporary thing or not).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I was in today (Wed 3) from 0800-1100 and it was crowded most of the time and packed to capacity for the first couple of hours. Had a coffee and some breakfast, checked emails did a bit of work and then left. Nicer to walk around the terminal than stay in that room unless you need to. Came back and it was less busy and nicer to relax in.

VA1 pax were being directed to another lounge and a lot of them were getting quite aggressive about this to staff - probably calmed down when they realised they were being directed to a much nicer lounge.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: NZ*S
So reading the above, it sounds like I will have a better time catching the train to the city and having lunch at the Opera House and a bit of a wander than trying to kill the 5hrs between flights in the temporary lounge?

Might have to look into a few sites to visit in the city.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: Air NZ *G,
Singapore

I flew back from Sydney on Tuesday and went straight to the Singapore lounge - they were happy to take myself and my Dad - no questions asked - Star Gold - was a good experience.

Didn't get a chance to check out the Air NZ lounge so couldn't comment on that.

Cheers,
Mike
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Velocity Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I flew SYD - CH on Thursday 11th Dec. lounge was packed out. Scanned our boarding passes and could not get a seat, third time this month that this has happened. I asked the female staff member what we were meant to do but she just rolled her eyes and said you will have to wait untill we call the flight to Wellington. That flight was delayed and there were quite a few disgruntled passengers standing and waiting for a seat. She then told me that as a platinum VA I couldn't use either the SQ or EY lounge. We then went to the EY lounge and I explained what had happened and they let me in.

I wander how much grief the NZ staff at the lounge are getting. I would have thought they would have thought this out better. As for the NZ lounge staff there were disgraceful.

Can I use the SQ lounge instead on a Tasman flight as a VA platinum?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uanthony
Can I use the SQ lounge instead on a Tasman flight as a VA platinum?
The short answer would be no, even if your TT flight on NZ metal, VA is not part of the Star Alliance, therefore there will be no *G lounge privileges.

The only time you can access the SilverKris lounge in SYD would be when you travel on SQ under a VA codeshare - i.e. the ticket you booked shows a VA flight number.

VA international lounge access policy is clearly listed on their site: https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...lounge-access/
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Visited Sydney last weekend with a bunch of family members - 5 total in our party.

Flew out via NZ118 on 8th Dec. (Monday), which also happened to be the first revenue run for their 3rd brand new Dreamliner (ZK-NZG).

Knowing the potential overcrowding issues, checked the scheduled departing flight info on SYD airport's website to see if I even get the chance to burn the Koru lounge vouchers to get rest of the family members in. Thankfully within that 3 hour window, only 2 other flights overlap (a UA flight to LAX and the other NZ service to CHC)

Lounge was at most half full as we entered just after 1pm, managed to grab seats for everyone next to the buffet table right behind the entrance/foyer area at the end.

Food was replenished constantly, and we sat through lunch and afternoon-tea service. Lounge never got crowded to the point of standing room only. Décor was too cafeteria like, however as it's only temporary can understand the decision to keep it like this.

Definitely looking forward to the new lounge once it's refurbished.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
The temp lounge is pretty good as far as temp lounges go, when I was there last Sunday in the afternoon there wasn't a good choice of food and I ended up leaving to buy something before boarding. the Previous week I used the Singapore Lounge as a *G and I'll probably use that again this week as its less crowded / better food.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

When do SQ flights leave, such that lounge is active? When I checked into SQ lounge last time, was alone and no food was out, although they did at least bring me a drink...
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
When do SQ flights leave, such that lounge is active? When I checked into SQ lounge last time, was alone and no food was out, although they did at least bring me a drink...
Currently there are 4 daily SYD-SIN flights scheduled daily, with a 5th morning flight every Monday, Thursdays and Saturdays.

The scheduled departure times are:
SQ252 - 07:40 (Mon, Thr, Sat)
SQ212 - 09:05
SQ232 - 12:15
SQ222 - 16:10
SQ242 - 19:10

Safe to assume SQ lounge would be open from at least 6am - 7pm daily, and opening earlier from ~4:40am on Mon, Thr and Sat.

In fact on SQ's website, they state the SYD SilverKris lounge is open 0500-1700 daily, subject to flight schedule changes.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Try entering at 12:00pm after boarding has been called for SQ232 ... it is unlikely you'll get an easy entry.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
I'm flying out on tuesday on UA to SFO
I have access to the Amex/NZ/SQ lounges
Anyone have some thoughts on which one is best?
Previously it was always the NZ lounge as they let me into the quiet section on the far right which was always nice. now with the temp lounge not so sure any more
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
I am flying SYD-SFO Jan 20. What's the latest concerning the Koru club renovation - is it completed yet? Back in November decided to use SQ Kris club and proved to be a winner - the temporary Koru on level 1 was crowded and looked quite unpleasant. Happy to go back to SQ club if necessary next Tuesday.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by IainC
I am flying SYD-SFO Jan 20. What's the latest concerning the Koru club renovation - is it completed yet? Back in November decided to use SQ Kris club and proved to be a winner - the temporary Koru on level 1 was crowded and looked quite unpleasant. Happy to go back to SQ club if necessary next Tuesday.
Not yet - the renovations will take a few more months to complete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.