Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regional routes to go

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Given Air NZ monopoly position on all but main trunk routes, and the impact of them pulling out of small routes on local communities, shouldn't they be obliged legally to offer interlining if another operator want to pick up the routes they have vacated?

There could a mandated/ regulated fee per pax that air nz would have to accept to enable smaller competitors to sell connections to Air NZ global network and also they have to offer the inbound connections to tourists etc.

otherwise, all these small start up flights routes will surely struggle?
Why should NZ be legally obliged to do anything on routes they don't operate? JQ don't fly the routes either and are not obligated to offer interlining or pay a fee.

I suspect the reason that new operators might struggle is the same reason NZ left - it is difficult to be profitable on a number of those routes. Sounds Air have managed to find a model that works for them on a number of routes (which is great), but as we've seen from the failure of a number of other small operators (Mainland Air in Oamaru, for example; and the difficulty of getting an operator in Masterton) it's pretty hard to make a route economic if NZ find that it's not.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
Why should NZ be legally obliged to do anything on routes they don't operate? JQ don't fly the routes either and are not obligated to offer interlining or pay a fee.
Well, as a monopoly player there is an argument that they should be obliged to provide access to their network at a certain rate, the same way i guess that telecom has to provide access to the home network for other providers at a preset rate.

Agree that the routes may be uneconomic but they are even more so without feeder options in and outbound.

I think a practical problem of course would be that the small airlines would not have the systems to integrate and sell tickets etc, but that does not change the principle

Anyway, just an idea....
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold
Regional gotta go fare

Booked a regional gotta go fare for the wife and baby this morning TRG-DUD via WLG $249 which earns 5AP and 15SP,very easy transaction on the phone and extremely happy to save $250 over the price quoted on the website for the same flights
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by temete23
Booked a regional gotta go fare for the wife and baby this morning TRG-DUD via WLG $249 which earns 5AP and 15SP,very easy transaction on the phone and extremely happy to save $250 over the price quoted on the website for the same flights
I'm curious about these Gotta Go fares. For BHE-AKL they would be a great deal (by current NZ regional pricing standards, anyway) at $169 for the nonstop, and now that most BHE-AKL flights are on the DH3s they are seldom entirely full. I'm wondering if I can get away with relying on a Gotta Go fare on Easter Monday, as the fares are outrageous.

However, are these capacity controlled? Has anyone gone on record on that subject, i.e. if there's one seat in Y you can book it as a RGG fare? Or is it all much more (typically) opaque than that?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by mad_atta
I'm curious about these Gotta Go fares. For BHE-AKL they would be a great deal (by current NZ regional pricing standards, anyway) at $169 for the nonstop, and now that most BHE-AKL flights are on the DH3s they are seldom entirely full. I'm wondering if I can get away with relying on a Gotta Go fare on Easter Monday, as the fares are outrageous.

However, are these capacity controlled? Has anyone gone on record on that subject, i.e. if there's one seat in Y you can book it as a RGG fare? Or is it all much more (typically) opaque than that?
Now I'M curious too! Need to book 3 pax ROT - ZQN later in the year.

Can't see it being capacity controlled. I'm guessing if the seats are available 90mins out from departure then they're yours to pay for. Bums on seats = $$. I reckon if you don't mind being a bit flexible with your flights you'll get a seat on Easter Mon.

I'm thinking I'll end up booking ahead for the return flight though as the weather can be a bit pooh and if the flights are cancelled I'd like to know we'd end up on the next flight rather than waiting for the other pax to clear first (although I wonder if status might play some nice part?). But I am tempted to consider the RGG for that trip on the way down at least. It's months in advance and it would already be cheaper than current fares and the chances of getting flights I think are pretty good as we could fly at any time on a Friday.

In general I think if its an off peak time flying then it would seem an almost guarantee you'd get your flight. Or the type of trip where you'd like to visit friends/family etc for the weekend but its no biggy if you don't make it then RGG would seem the way to go if you've missed the sale prices. Not sure about other centres but there's a good ~3-4 flights a day from Rot & Tga to major centres so you could just catch the next one! Although I do note the Tga-Akl/Wlg can be really full. I think there was all of ONE seat 2 wks ago and the FA said it had been like that all day!

Do you get to choose your routing? Despite Wlg KC being my favourite I hate flying in there and spend a lot of the flight biting nails over it so would prefer to fly via Akl. And I'll have 2 kids, one of them likely to be more nervous than myself.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by mad_atta

Given that it'll probably be leisure travelers flying only, it's less likely that the most expensive fares for the flight will sell, meaning there will be left overs. There is also the option of them routing you via WLG if on some rare chance all direct one are full.

Re: ROT-ZQN being a tourist route, it's probably still going to be quite busy at off-peak times. Because there is a mandatory two flights and three pax involved, there is more risk - you'd probably be safe, but personally I would be booking beforehand.

As long as you turn up for the first flight of the day, that'll give you most chance off getting there. Shame there is no lounge at either, as (I assume) you could have bought a flexi-ticket to access the lounge and pass the time.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
We've ended up making another plan, so no need for the RGG fare. But I'm still very curious to know how they work, as I could definitely see opportunities where they could be extremely useful. Fares ex-BHE are eye-wateringly high.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints SILVER, KC
For those interested, or who may not know, here's a update on the dropped routes/centres:

Whakatane - Auckland has been picked up by Air Chathams who will offer two flights a day using a 19 seater Metroliner and a 50 seater Convair aircraft. The Convair will overnight in WHK before operating the morning flight to Auckland, returning in the evening. The Metroliner will operate to WHK in the morning, before operating back to AKL in the evening. Fares are priced from $89 one way.

Kaitaia has been picked up by Great Barrier Airlines, who will fly the route up to 3 times daily using a Cessna Caravan. Not sure if the schedule for this one will be a flyer, leaves AKL for Kaitaia at 5.55am!!

Westport has been picked up by Sounds Air. They are bringing in two 9 seater Pilatus aircraft to operate up to 3 flights a day to the capital. Fares are set at $199 one way.

Wellington - Whangarei, Nelson - Palmerston North are both routes that are easily serviced by Air NZ by going via a bigger Centre, eh AKL/WLG. I would be surprised if any airline took over those routes. Wellington - Taupo is a more trickier one. Air New Zealand will be operating two flights to Taupo a day from Auckland using a Bombardier Q300, with options to connect to points south. But the new Q300 schedule for Taupo has very poor timings. I will be interested to see how it goes for them.

When Eagle Airways closes next year, the remaining Eagle Routes will go to Air Nelson, bar Hamilton - Auckland which will be removed from the schedule. Wellington - Gisborne will see up to 3 Q300s daily, down from up to 4 Beechs. Wellington - Timaru will see 2 Q300s daily, down from up to 4 Beechs. Auckland - Wanganui will go from up to 4 Beechs daily, to 3 Q300s. Taupo will go from up to 6 flights daily to Auckland and Wellington down to 2 Q300s to Auckland. Hokitika will see up to 3/4 Q300s daily. Kerikeri has already been upgauged to the Q300.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:08 pm

I'm sure all of these changes will also hurt the Airports which in most cases above are owned jointly by the local council and the crown. With decreased revenue from air-side and land-side activities, I'd assume that the ratepayer is going to be stumping up for the balance! That's though, especially in communities with lower average incomes.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by ZaphB
I'm sure all of these changes will also hurt the Airports which in most cases above are owned jointly by the local council and the crown. With decreased revenue from air-side and land-side activities, I'd assume that the ratepayer is going to be stumping up for the balance! That's though, especially in communities with lower average incomes.
Yes it will hurt the regional airports and the local economies.
AFAIK no airport is owned directly by the Crown. They are either privately owned, including listed companies, or with some ownership by the local authorities. NZ Super Funded has some stake most via the fund managers eg. Infratil/Morrison & Co.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by ZaphB
Although why should NZ being funding these airport to cover there loses? if the airport doesn't have an bussiness plan to allow for changes if desirves to lose money
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Yes it will hurt the regional airports and the local economies.
AFAIK no airport is owned directly by the Crown. They are either privately owned, including listed companies, or with some ownership by the local authorities. NZ Super Funded has some stake most via the fund managers eg. Infratil/Morrison & Co.
There's a couple of different structures used, including via NZ Super, but a number of the affected airports are a JV between the crown (via the MoT) and the local authorities including (at my last check): Whakatane, Westport, Wanganui, and Taupo.

Kaitaia airport is different again with Far North District Council leasing the airport from the crown, but wholly owns and operates the venture.

There is definitely a move towards private ownership and operation of the airports, potentially with some shareholding via third party crown entity
(e.g. NZ Super fund as you mentioned). In some cases the crown directly holds a single "Kiwi Share" in a private airport venture (e.g. Nelson Airport) for security purposes.

Last edited by ZaphB; Mar 20, 2015 at 8:11 pm
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Although why should NZ being funding these airport to cover there loses? if the airport doesn't have an bussiness plan to allow for changes if desirves to lose money
You're right, and I'm certainly not advocating that AirNZ or any other party should be funding the losses. I'm just saying that it's going to be a very tough situation for the airport owners, which in some cases includes the crown and local authorities.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by FullyIntoNewZealand
For those interested, or who may not know, here's a update on the dropped routes/centres:

Whakatane - Auckland has been picked up by Air Chathams who will offer two flights a day using a 19 seater Metroliner and a 50 seater Convair aircraft. The Convair will overnight in WHK before operating the morning flight to Auckland, returning in the evening. The Metroliner will operate to WHK in the morning, before operating back to AKL in the evening. Fares are priced from $89 one way.

Kaitaia has been picked up by Great Barrier Airlines, who will fly the route up to 3 times daily using a Cessna Caravan. Not sure if the schedule for this one will be a flyer, leaves AKL for Kaitaia at 5.55am!!

Westport has been picked up by Sounds Air. They are bringing in two 9 seater Pilatus aircraft to operate up to 3 flights a day to the capital. Fares are set at $199 one way.

Wellington - Whangarei, Nelson - Palmerston North are both routes that are easily serviced by Air NZ by going via a bigger Centre, eh AKL/WLG. I would be surprised if any airline took over those routes. Wellington - Taupo is a more trickier one. Air New Zealand will be operating two flights to Taupo a day from Auckland using a Bombardier Q300, with options to connect to points south. But the new Q300 schedule for Taupo has very poor timings. I will be interested to see how it goes for them.

When Eagle Airways closes next year, the remaining Eagle Routes will go to Air Nelson, bar Hamilton - Auckland which will be removed from the schedule. Wellington - Gisborne will see up to 3 Q300s daily, down from up to 4 Beechs. Wellington - Timaru will see 2 Q300s daily, down from up to 4 Beechs. Auckland - Wanganui will go from up to 4 Beechs daily, to 3 Q300s. Taupo will go from up to 6 flights daily to Auckland and Wellington down to 2 Q300s to Auckland. Hokitika will see up to 3/4 Q300s daily. Kerikeri has already been upgauged to the Q300.
Sounds Air have also announced that Taupo will join there small but growing network. The airline will operate up to 3 flights on weekdays, and two on weekends. Fares are set at $219 one way. The route will be serviced by a 9 seater Pilatus aircraft.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by temete23
Booked one of these gotta go fares this morning from ZQN - TRG. SUPER easy, rang reservations on the phone on route to the airport, all sorted within 10 mins. Saved myself about $160 from what was quoted on the website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.