Wiki Posts
Search

Which terminals?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many but loyal to none
Which terminals?

Got flights booked for December and wondered if anyone knew which terminals these flights usually depart from? Thanks

KLM Flight 1072 Man-Ams

KLM Flight 1097 Ams-Man
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There is only one terminal at Schiphol - everything is under the one roof. There is a division, though, between the Schengen area, and the international area.

You sometimes see references to T1/T2/T3 - but these are more correctly referred to as Lounge 1 (Schengen) and Lounges 2 & 3 (for non-Schengen flights, including the UK and Ireland) where the shops/restaurants and other facilities tend to congregate. The departure piers snake off from these various "lounges".

KLM flights to the UK usually leave from the D-pier gates - but could, in theory, depart from E, F or G too if necessary.

Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks irishguy28, I was particularly interested about Schiphol as the wife and I may have 6 hours to kill and was wondering about booking into a lounge. Do you know which 'pay' lounges are closest to D? The Servisair lounge I think is at lounge 3, I'm still trying to find more details for the Menzies one.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that you have 6 hours, you will have plenty of time to walk to ANY lounge, regardless of whether it is close to the D gates or not!

But given that you are departing on Etihad (which leaves from E), and that you have Etihad Guest Silver which gets you lounge access, why not just use the KLM Crown Lounge?

I, personally, would not pay to use any of the lounges at AMS (there is a new ASPIRE lounge I've not been to, but I don't think it would change my mind) but if you are determined to have lounge access on the way back - I can't help you there.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately the 6 hours layover is upon our return, which is too short for a day room as we probably won't clear baggage reclaim customs until 3pm at the earliest, and that's if our flights isn't delayed and so that's why I was thinking of booking a lounge.

We have a 13 hour layover going out and are planning to use a day room for that.

I see you have answered my other question on the other thread, and my logic behind that was originally when we booked the Mercure they stated we could take our hold luggage up to our room. However they have since emailed to say that an EU law change means we can no longer do this which leaves an off airport hotel as our only choice (at a reasonable price).
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I, personally, would not pay to use any of the lounges at AMS (there is a new ASPIRE lounge I've not been to, but I don't think it would change my mind) but if you are determined to have lounge access on the way back - I can't help you there.
The new ASPIRE Schengen lounge is the Lounge 26, where nothing changed since the change of management.

So perhaps the ASPIRE non-Schengen lounge is the same as was there before (Servisair?)

In either case, none of them would be of help for the OP, given that the maximum limit of stay is 3 hrs.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tafer2uk
I see you have answered my other question on the other thread, and my logic behind that was originally when we booked the Mercure they stated we could take our hold luggage up to our room. However they have since emailed to say that an EU law change means we can no longer do this which leaves an off airport hotel as our only choice (at a reasonable price).
I don't know what "EU law change" this might be. It's probably more to do with the rebuild of Schiphol. Currently, you could probably happily access the Mercure, bringing your hold luggage (as long as you explain your intention to return landside again, to complete check-in of the luggage - though you may encounter resistance from staff along the way), as there is no security check until you reach the gate (you don't want to pass a hand-luggage-security check with hold luggage. The staff would be p*ssed, and all your liquids would be confiscated). But, from June, there will be a security check at the point where you go landside - it will no longer occur at the gate. So, getting your luggage through the security check is certainly far from ideal. They would probably refuse point-blank to screen your hold luggage, no matter what explanation you give them.

There are lockers at the airport where you could leave your bags whily you nip airside to use the Mercure.

But it's kind of strange to be dead-set on staying airside when you will have to come landside anyway to complete check in again.

There are plenty of hotels at the airport (Sheraton; Hilton; Citizen M) that would probably also give you a day rate - you don't even have to resort to one of the off-site airport hotels that would require a shuttle to reach. The Mercure certainly is not your only option.

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 21, 2015 at 9:00 am
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:57 am
Original Poster

I can only go on the email I got from the Mercure

Hi

Thank you for your quick reply. Sorry I forgot to ask previously, can we bring our suitcases with us into the hotel as they will have all our toiletries in there and some of them will be larger than 100ml?

Regards

Dear Sir,

It is possible to take your suitcase into our hotel also with the toiletries more than 100ml. Only the next day if you need to check-in your luggage you may have the 100ml max. in your hand luggage.

For any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your reservation in Mercure Schiphol Terminal.

We would like to inform you about the fact that from the 2nd of June 2015 you are not allowed anymore to take your luggage (excluding carry-on luggage) from the arrival hall to our hotel. Therefore you should store it in one of the lockers at Schiphol Airport, while it is not possible to check-in your luggage one day before departure. For more information please go to the following website: http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/At...ageLockers.htm

For any questions please contact us at [email protected] Or through telephone number 0031-206041339. We hope to welcome you soon in our hotel.

Could you please confirm to me if you have received this information, while it is really important for us to know that all guests are aware of this change?

Thank you in advance!

Dear Jip

Thank you for your email. Due to the complications that may arise from this significant change I may need to make alternative arrangements.

If I do need to cancel the booking I will do so as early as possible.

Kind Regards

Dear Mr Sir,

Thank you for your reply.

I can imagine that this would be too much hassle. Unfortunately we are not able to offer any other solutions, while it is changed by EU law.

If you would like to cancel your reservation, please let us know as soon as you know.

Kind regards,
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that email refers to 2 June.

That is the date when the old system (performing the security check at each individual gate, in the non-Schengen area) ends, and they instead bring in a new, central security check for all the non-Schengen area (more details here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...en-2015-a.html)

Therefore, from 2 June onwards, you will be unable to access the airside Mercure without passing a "cabin luggage only" security check - and they would clearly refuse to allow you to bring hold luggage through, even in your unusual circumstances.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

BTW we weren't dead set on airside it just seemed more convenient staying at the hotel onsite.

The Sheraton and Hilton quoted more than we wanted to pay, whilst the Citizen M only do day rooms on the day if available and at the walk up rate. We are more than likely going to book the Radisson or the Park Inn
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
I know this is a common answer to this type of thread but why not store your bags and head into Amsterdam for day. It takes 15 minutes on the train and can only add to your holiday. I can recommend the Anne Frank House as a starting point but prebook tickets to avoid the queues. Lunch and a stroll around and then head back to AMS.

I wouldn't want to be sitting around for 13 hours then getting on a longhaul flight with the hope of sleeping.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
KLM flights from MAN depart from T3.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Departures 3/Lounge 3/T3, being closest to the longhaul F & G piers, is usually for the longhaul destinations.

Departures 2/Lounge 2/T2 is generally used for the narrowbody/shorthaul flights to non-Schengen destinations, and is usually where all UK flights depart from.

As, for example, the 2 remaining KLM Manchester flights of the day:

Of course, Lounges 2 and 3 are connected by Holland Boulevard so you can move around freely airside, and you can go through either passport control point.

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 22, 2015 at 7:46 am
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful and informative.

While I wouldn't profess to have done all Amsterdam DaveNCL, we have had a 5 day break previously and done most of the museums, sights and tours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.