Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond

It's still two years away, but Schiphol is starting a major construction effort this year in preparation to introduce centralised security for all non-Schengen flights from some time in 2015.

This video shows more (Dutch only).
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:42 pm

One of the security people told me about this a few weeks ago. Apparently involves adding an extra level, so that the incoming passengers will not be mixed in with the outgoing passengers.

I believe this is a step backwards from a customer standpoint. With security at the gate, the timing is more predictable because they will process everyone that arrives by the deadline before they close the aircraft door.

With centralized security, you can be stuck at some central choke point in a security queue and your flight leaves without you.

I also wonder how this will work with the Crown Room, which is currently available for arriving and departing passengers.

Originally Posted by mfkne
It's still two years away, but Schiphol is starting a major construction effort this year in preparation to introduce centralised security for all non-Schengen flights from some time in 2015.

This video shows more (Dutch only).
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I believe this is a step backwards from a customer standpoint. With security at the gate, the timing is more predictable because they will process everyone that arrives by the deadline before they close the aircraft door.

With centralized security, you can be stuck at some central choke point in a security queue and your flight leaves without you.
Totally agree. This is why many of us prefer to connect at AMS over CDG as the queues there are sometimes horrific with very inflexible staff.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:24 pm

So what's the flip side? What is the airport's rationale for spending millions of Euros for something that makes the airport less user friendly? What's in it for them?

Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Totally agree. This is why many of us prefer to connect at AMS over CDG as the queues there are sometimes horrific with very inflexible staff.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I don't think this is a bad idea at all. It will increase the number of connections which can be made without undergoing any security check at Schiphol, which is very user friendly. For all others, there won't be much of a change. If someone arrives so late at the airport that they risk missing their flight due to possible queues at security, then they were already running the risk of missing their flight anyway, even under the current scheme. Schengen flights have this central security; if this was going to be an issue for non-Schengen flights, then it's already an issue for Schengen flights.

Crown Lounge access may be an issue for arrivals from areas deemed non-sterile - they will be funneled directly to baggage reclaim, or if they are transferring, clear security before entering the departures area from where they can access the lounges. So I guess those people terminating in Ams and arriving from a non-sterile location will have to make do with that little arrivls room at baggage reclaim.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:47 pm

First, I think you have made an erroneous assumption. I believe that unlike the Schengen gates, there will be separation of arriving and departing passengers. So, if you are arriving from GIG and connecting to DEL, you will need to clear security at Schiphol. So there will be no increase in the number of connections that can be made without going through security.

Which leaves us without any benefit, but the problem that it will be easier to miss your flight because of the chokepoint. Not only people originating in AMS, but people making connections. Currently, if you are late coming in you can rush directly over to your connecting (non-Schengen) gate. Under the new system, even if your connecting gate is immediately adjacent, you need to detour via central security.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I don't think this is a bad idea at all. It will increase the number of connections which can be made without undergoing any security check at Schiphol, which is very user friendly. For all others, there won't be much of a change. If someone arrives so late at the airport that they risk missing their flight due to possible queues at security, then they were already running the risk of missing their flight anyway, even under the current scheme. Schengen flights have this central security; if this was going to be an issue for non-Schengen flights, then it's already an issue for Schengen flights.

Crown Lounge access may be an issue for arrivals from areas deemed non-sterile - they will be funneled directly to baggage reclaim, or if they are transferring, clear security before entering the departures area from where they can access the lounges. So I guess those people terminating in Ams and arriving from a non-sterile location will have to make do with that little arrivls room at baggage reclaim.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, not at all, I am making no assumptions. The video says (as was reported here already in another thread, which I shall find presently) that only passengers arriving from airports deemed of lower security will be handled differently - i.e. sent straight to baggage claim or passed through security on arrival. All other passengers will arrive, as normal, in the mixed arrival/departure zone on the non-Schengen side. Many transfer passengers will therefore not undergo any security check at all in Schiphol.

As Amsterdam operates primarily as a transfer airport, and assuming the number of airports deemed of lower security is relatively small, this move will make Amsterdam an even more attractive transfer point for most passengers.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never mind - got the wrong thread
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:27 am

I did find another thread that mentioned that there was no requirement to screen connecting passengers coming from Non-Schengen EU countries (England, Ireland), and that these passengers would not be screened after the renovation. But, I didn't see a general reference to low risk countries. My Dutch is not good enough to understand the video however, so perhaps there was some broader reference in there.

I thought that it was a requirement that inbound and outbound passengers be separated or that there be gate screening like Schiphol. The only other airports in Europe that I have transferred at are LHR and CDG, and I seem to recall that they segregated arriving and departing passengers. Are there any airports in Europe that do not separate arriving/departing non-Schengen passengers (or have gate screening as at Sciphol)?

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Never mind - got the wrong thread
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:06 am

Clearly there are both advantages and disadvantages to having centralised security.

One big advantage is that those who are connecting Schengen to non-Schengen will no longer have to re-clear security at Schiphol.

Hopefully the same will also apply to those connecting from the UK and Ireland.

Other advantages...

- we can stay in the lounge for much longer, and it will be a more relaxing experience as we know that all we have to do is go to the gate and board our flight

- no more issues with taking bottles of water on board (though... wasn't the liquids silliness supposed to end this year? It's gone very quiet on that front!)

The disadvantage, as others have said, is that there is a much greater danger of missing one's flight if one gets stuck in a central security queue.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: FB Gold
The original discussion about this is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...-dec-12-a.html

As ever I don't see what all the complaining is about. There will be no extra security checks for anyone, there will be fewer security checks for a significant number of transfer passengers. Currently pax flying FRA-AMS-EDI have to clear security during the transfer, in future they won't. Currently pax flying IAD-AMS-CDG have to clear security during the transfer, in future they most likely won't. Currently pax flying LOS-AMS-CPH have to clear security during the transfer, in future they still will. Net result fewer pax have to clear security at AMS = good for AMS. As for central security for departing pax, that is the existing system at departures 1, and it works fine.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Clearly there are both advantages and disadvantages to having centralised security.

One big advantage is that those who are connecting Schengen to non-Schengen will no longer have to re-clear security at Schiphol.

Other advantages...

- we can stay in the lounge for much longer, and it will be a more relaxing experience as we know that all we have to do is go to the gate and board our flight

- no more issues with taking bottles of water on board (though... wasn't the liquids silliness supposed to end this year? It's gone very quiet on that front!)

The disadvantage, as others have said, is that there is a much greater danger of missing one's flight if one gets stuck in a central security queue.
One of my major complaints with Schiphol was the 45 minutes spent at the gate in the queue for security. Even bad security should take no more than 15 minutes, less with an Elite+ card. I think this is a positive move and I'm sure there will be a "flight connections" security lane, a la LHR T5.

Still not going back to KLM, though!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix

Other advantages...

I think all EU countries are already deemed 'safe' so certainly arrivals from the UK won't need a security check at AMS. The new system will alleviate the absurdity of having passengers queuing for security who were processed by UK security just 2 hours earlier!

I think it is now agreed that the liquids ban will be lifted from the beginning of next year in Europe, I don't think the US has said anything on that yet, though they have just decided to allow small knives instead!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by AJCNL
Currently pax flying IAD-AMS-CDG have to clear security during the transfer, in future they most likely won't.
My guess is they probably will - they have to at other EU airports.

I believe the rule is that only EU countries and non-EU Schengen countries are deemed safe.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
*shamelessly advertising my blog *
I have written a post (In Dutch) about the changes in my view here: http://theflyingdutchboy.blogspot.nl...-security.html.
I am curious if Schiphol will manage to process transfer pax and departing pax quick enough during peak hours, as now the PAX are spread over less checkpoints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.