Search

Lost baggage inventory/receipt?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Lost baggage inventory/receipt?

AF lost our bag

I reviewed http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common..._airfrance.htm

How strict are they typically about receipts of the Lost baggage inventory? Does DL process it here in US?

Do they typically reimburse the max?

Last edited by vickh; Apr 2, 2017 at 9:41 am
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Receipts depends on the items. If you don't have the receipts themselves, consider the relevant items from a CC statement (make sure you white out the non-relevant details) for items which may be off-kilter.

DL will handle in the US.

There is no "typically". The Montreal Convention sets the maximum and that is based on fair market value. If you lost two shirts purchased for EUR 100 each a year ago and worn 10 times each, don't expect the maximum EUR 2020 (it's SDR 1,600 and the Euro hasn't done so well since you last looked !).
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Receipts depends on the items. If you don't have the receipts themselves, consider the relevant items from a CC statement (make sure you white out the non-relevant details) for items which may be off-kilter.

DL will handle in the US.

There is no "typically". The Montreal Convention sets the maximum and that is based on fair market value. If you lost two shirts purchased for EUR 100 each a year ago and worn 10 times each, don't expect the maximum EUR 2020 (it's SDR 1,600 and the Euro hasn't done so well since you last looked !).
Thx!

Getting ready to submit the claim. Couldn't find receipt for everything Not sure about CC receipts would be accounted for vs. .itemized receipts.

Does the E 2020 include the claims before the bag was declared lost (3 days )
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by vickh
Thx!

Getting ready to submit the claim. Couldn't find receipt for everything Not sure about CC receipts would be accounted for vs. .itemized receipts.

Does the E 2020 include the claims before the bag was declared lost (3 days )
I am not sure I understand your question.

I assume that your bag has now been declared lost after 21+ days.

I assume that a few days after your bag went missing, you filled a form declaring the items contained in your bag and their value. This is to be done between 3 and 21 days. Once your bag is declared lost, you try to provide a sufficient amount of documentation (receipts, credit card receipts,..) to establish the value of your claim. I don't think that you need to have receipts for everything , but certainly for the most valuable items.

What I do not understand is that you seem to refer to two claims. I think that the AF website is very clear and the procedure described is fairly common. You only file a claim once (between 3 and 21 days). If your bag is not located, AF will ask you for some proof of value. You do not file another claim. Your initial claim is your claim. The list of items and value declared then is the basis of the computation.

PS: I thought that the Montreal convention imposed a limit of 1,131SDR. I do not know where 1,600 comes from. It could be right, I just don't know.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thx!

To clarify

We submitted for some small things while it was delayed.

Now it's declared lost. subtract that "1st claim"?

Per the website Compensation is counted in Special Drawing Rights (SDR), the unit of currency used by the International Monetary Fund (IMF). 1,131 SDR converts to approximately €1,295. (This conversion rate varies according to fluctuations in currency

Last edited by vickh; Apr 2, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by vickh
Thx!

To clarify

We submitted for some small things while it was delayed.

Now it's declared lost. subtract that "1st claim"?

Per the website Compensation is counted in Special Drawing Rights (SDR), the unit of currency used by the International Monetary Fund (IMF). 1,131 SDR converts to approximately €1,295. (This conversion rate varies according to fluctuations in currency
I believe that the maximum compensation of 1,131 SDR applies to the overall cost (including what was paid for essentials).
Essentials are deemed to replace some essential items that you are missing, so should be included in the total reimbursement.
My guess is that you could negotiate by claiming that you lost aa wonderful shirt and replace it by a cheap one. But keep in mind that the airline will make an offer that is a "package" given that you probably have missing receipts.
If your receipts are well over 1,131, you will get 1,131. If you are offered less, say 500, then it is all a matter of negotiation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.