Wiki Posts
Search

Weighing carry-on baggage at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Last few times I've departed from 2A, it has taken me over half an hour to clear immigration using Acces No.1In the past, it was a breeze, but seems that AA has most flights departing around the same time.
I only used it for the CX flight which is a bit later than most AA flights. Also for BA flights at various hours. Never had to wait more than 15 min at immigration+security.
Like at 2E, access 1 is not much faster for immigration, and sometimes slower. The line looks much longer but it opens to many immigration counters so is processed faster.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
This is still going on. I flew TLV-CDG the other day with my family - we each had a rollaboard plus a personal item. Nobody weighed us at TLV. Spent the night at the CDG Sheraton and then came back to 2E. We were all weighed/sized and told we were overweight and had to go check our bags. Not Sky Priority anymore so maybe this is why this is the first time this has happened to me. Good thing we're flying home on DL where we don't have to worry about these absurdities. Probably less likely to travel AF from now on because of this - and I fly from TLV to the USA 4-5 times a year. Considering that BA, TK and other airlines don't really enforce this kind of restriction, it's bad for business in my mind.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by NYTA
Good thing we're flying home on DL where we don't have to worry about these absurdities.
if you are flying from CDG, flying DL or AF you will go through the same checkpoint and so are likely to face the same issue.
Absurdities...well they just enforce a rule which was not enforced before. You may not like it but the rules are the rules. And when you see the amount of carry-on some pax have, I'm glad they enforce a limit, of course if it is done in a clever way.

Considering that BA, TK and other airlines don't really enforce this kind of restriction, it's bad for business in my mind.
There are more and more reports of strict enforcement on plenty of airlines and airports.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak
if you are flying from CDG, flying DL or AF you will go through the same checkpoint and so are likely to face the same issue.
Absurdities...well they just enforce a rule which was not enforced before. You may not like it but the rules are the rules. And when you see the amount of carry-on some pax have, I'm glad they enforce a limit, of course if it is done in a clever way.

There are more and more reports of strict enforcement on plenty of airlines and airports.
DL does not have a carry-on weight limit (other than flights from southeast Asia), so a DL passenger in principle cannot be forced to check the carry-on if stopped at the now very well established weight station. But again, this is CDG, so anything can happen.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:39 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread. Anyone seen similar weighing of carry-on at SFO? I'm flying SFO-AMS-STO in May and want leave the flight after the AMS stop. Need to know how lightly to pack.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Probably less likely to travel AF from now on because of this - and I fly from TLV to the USA 4-5 times a year.
Good luck finding a good alternative. As others have mentioned, "strict enforcement" of rules however apparently absurd is the name of the game. As

I mentioned in another thread, I have had experiences at LHR of staff measuring people's personal item (the small handbag or backpack you are allowed on top of the piece of hand luggage). Mine fit without issue (but it was really annoying anyway because they use a box which makes it almost impossible to take a soft bag out after it has gone in!) but I must admit that I felt for some of the ladies being told that they effectively had to check their handbag.

Oh, and in that case, they specifically targeted the priority lane while people in the regular lane could freely go through with the kitchen sink and a couple of cows.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Oh, and in that case, they specifically targeted the priority lane while people in the regular lane could freely go through with the kitchen sink and a couple of cows.
LOL
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:08 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Everything I said is the reality:
CARRY-ON WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS
No maximum weight applies to carry-on baggage except in the below stations:
Singapore, Singapore - Changi International Airport (SIN) carry on should not exceed 15 lbs. (7kgs)
South Korea - Incheon International Airport (ICN) carry on should not exceed 22 lbs. (10kgs)
Beijing, China - Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) carry on should not exceed 22 lbs. (10kgs)
Shanghai, China - Pudong International Airport (PVG) carry on should not exceed 22lbs. (10kgs)
So, based on this information, I can bring a 70KG carry-on because CDG is not on this list. However, the passengers are at the mercy of what the person weighting the bags decide.

Last edited by JOUY31; Apr 25, 2016 at 4:30 am Reason: quote of deleted post removed
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
LOL
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by SDQBound
(...) However, the passengers are at the mercy of what the person weighting the bags decide.
I would not be that pessimistic.

The person who performs the checks must know that different airlines have different allowances.

Just allow a bit extra time if you need to solve the problem. And bring a printout of the Delta page (preferably in French).
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot

Flying JFK-TLV nonstop on DL so thankfully don't have to stop back through CDG. I fly Ryanair and Easyjet all the time and I'm fine with their size/count based restrictions, but neither has such silly weight restrictions. Airlines like AF put these silly rules into place and wonder why they lose business to the "low cost" carriers.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly Ryanair and Easyjet all the time and I'm fine with their size/count based restrictions, but neither has such silly weight restrictions.
Easyjet have no hand baggage weight restrictions but Ryanair certainly do (10kg max) although it is true that they rarely check these days.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
Easyjet have no hand baggage weight restrictions but Ryanair certainly do (10kg max) although it is true that they rarely check these days.
I like Easyjet policy. You are supposed to have a single hand luggage. But they only enforce it when load is high. If not, they let you bring two bags.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by brunos
I like Easyjet policy. You are supposed to have a single hand luggage. But they only enforce it when load is high. If not, they let you bring two bags.
And how does one know in advance if the load will be high?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
And how does one know in advance if the load will be high?
You can guess from the fare for that flight.
I typically get ready to stuff everything in to A single bag in case I need to. But I was forced to do it only once in my last ten flights or so.
I always pay extra for a front seat so am allowed a bigger bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.