Wiki Posts
Search

Weighing carry-on baggage at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
3. If it is an AdP thing, then I am not very reassured about my CX flight
I would be surprised if adp was checking weight allowances for all airlines at CDG.
There are multiple airlines at CDG 2A with very different carry-on policies. BA, for instance, who depart from the same terminal at CX, will allow you a case of up to 23kg and 56x45x25cm as hand luggage as well as a second bag of up to 45x36x20cm. CX, as you know, is much more restrictive on hand luggage. RJ has rules which are similar to CX but not exactly identical (eg: CX allows 1x10kg bag in business whereas RJ allows 2x7kg ones); AA limits carry-on baggage by size but not by weight, etc...
All of these leave from CDG2A and there are also others leaving from that terminal. I do not see how adp staff could enforce the rules for each and everyone of them.
2E/F is a rather different story, in so far as it is overwhelmingly AFKL so I can see how they might contemplate using the airside entry bottlenecks as a way to catch over-dimensioned/overweight hand luggage.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: FB
So what happens if it's to heavy? You get rejected or need to repack?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mandatory
Sent back to check-in, I would have thought, unless you decide to abandon the excess baggage there and then.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Assuming that the hand carry rules of the carrier in question are followed in terms of number of pieces and dimensions, weight should logically not be a big issue, excpet in pretty unusual circumstances. I have had my hand carry checked for size on a few occasions, but never for weight.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by DernierVirage
4. If this is now the new norm, has there been any information sent out about the procedures ??
In fact, the norm has existed for many years, but it was not enforced (or poorly enforced).

Originally Posted by Enthilza
Yep. I have seen it in 2F as well where the guy was mainly checking the weight of the bags. He will stop pax whose bags were, as far as I could tell, within the size limits of carry-ons but which seems too packed/stuffed. It's not the case every time I am there, but it's quite frequent.
Waouh : didn't see it as well in 2F. I must have been completely blind for the last few months . But in 2F, I always use the SkyP lanes as well and so I believe they don't bother too much there and I hope it will continue like this
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'll admit that I have never really understood the logic of weight limits on carry on bags. People mention good old "safety" but as some airlines put no limit to carry on weight (U2) or a much higher on some airlines (23kg on BA) than on others (5kg on AR or CZ) that can't be the reason unless you believe that BA's or U2's overheads keep collapsing on people's heads!

I also find it slightly odd to have this at 2E which mostly handles long haul flights on widebody aircrafts (which, in my experience, never really seem to have hand luggage problems) than - if anything - at 2F which, handles exclusively short/medium haul flights on increasingly dense narrowbody aircrafts, and which have hand luggage issues quite regularly since the launch of MiNi fares.

Edit: just saw previous posts mentioning that it also happens at 2F
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'll admit that I have never really understood the logic of weight limits on carry on bags.
Overhead stowage bins have a maximum allowable weight, which would be exceeded if everybody carried a very heavy case. So there is potentially a risk of those limits being exceeded, and it is not, in principle, wholly illogical to specify a limit.

That said, the assumption that everybody carries a very heavy bag would be an unrealistic assumption and I would have thought that, if there was a real problem of that kind, regulators would have stepped in the specify limits. The fact that, throughout the world, they have not and leave it to the discretion of the airlines would tend to suggest that they do not consider this to be a significant safety issue.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by mandatory
This happened to me earlier this year (flying CDG-LIN) and I was sent back to the AF counter to check the bag. I had no idea that they would be weighing my carryon and it was not my finest moment. Happily I was not over my luggage allowance so I did not have to pay any extra but not customer friendly.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by ckendall
This happened to me earlier this year (flying CDG-LIN) and I was sent back to the AF counter to check the bag. I had no idea that they would be weighing my carryon and it was not my finest moment. Happily I was not over my luggage allowance so I did not have to pay any extra but not customer friendly.
But it was within the size limits?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Enthilza
Yep. I have seen it in 2F as well where the guy was mainly checking the weight of the bags. He will stop pax whose bags were, as far as I could tell, within the size limits of carry-ons but which seems too packed/stuffed. It's not the case every time I am there, but it's quite frequent.
What is annoying for abiding PAX is other PAX with too large or too many carry ons, not their weight.

It looks like this check is more for AF revenue enhancement than anything.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by carnarvon
What is annoying for abiding PAX is other PAX with too large or too many carry ons, not their weight.

It looks like this check is more for AF revenue enhancement than anything.
+1
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I had the opportunity to discuss about cabin bags with AF during the last months and the situation has worsen for AF when they introduced the MiNi fares which comes with no free checked bag. And this has resulted in a dramatic increase of carry-ons (number and weight). I think other airlines will see this trend too as more and more are introducing that kind of "light fares". And their biggest problem is with connecting pax where the rules is not necessarily enforced or where the habits are different compared to Europe (e.g. USA for the latter).
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I had the opportunity to discuss about cabin bags with AF during the last months and the situation has worsen for AF when they introduced the MiNi fares which comes with no free checked bag. And this has resulted in a dramatic increase of carry-ons (number and weight). I think other airlines will see this trend too as more and more are introducing that kind of "light fares". And their biggest problem is with connecting pax where the rules is not necessarily enforced or where the habits are different compared to Europe (e.g. USA for the latter).
I just think that there is little relationship between the problem that you mention and the "solution" that AF is apparently proposing to implement.

First of all, again, I think that number and size is the problem that I have seen on many short/medium haul flights and not weight. Again, as I mentioned above, the weight issue makes no sense to me except from an airline income point of view. NickB above rightly mentions that there are limits to overhead capacities, but off the top of my mind, the (presumably very conservative) weight limit indicated is 96kg/overhead. Considering that you fit at best three regular carry on cases (if everybody is clever enough to put them length perpendicular to the plane) or two (if, as is often the case, people put them lengthwise), the 12kg thing is simply not an issue here.

Second, as you rightly point out and as I mentioned in my post above, that problem occurs on short/medium haul, not on long haul flights, so what is the sense of enforcing at 2E where only a handful of short/medium haul (Russia, UK, Turkey, etc) are handled?

Third, in my experience, what makes boarding slower is not even mostly related to the main carry on but to people having two many items. Many have two full size carry ons (notably, as you point out when connecting from the US), but to make things worse, many people expect overhead lockers to accommodate their 10 duty free bags, big winter coats and what not. All that is best enforced at gate (ie after people have shopped) with extra bags forcibly gate checked if need be.

So I just don't think that what is described here about weighing carry on's has anything to do with sorting out carry on problems on board, and like carnarvon, I suspect that it is either an inadequate answer to a real problem or more likely a way to try and generate income.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
NickB above rightly mentions that there are limits to overhead capacities, but off the top of my mind, the (presumably very conservative) weight limit indicated is 96kg/overhead.
I might be wrong but, IIRC, it is lower than that, more around the 40 to 50kg mark for those bins capable of storing 3 standard "IATA"-sized cases.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by NickB
I might be wrong but, IIRC, it is lower than that, more around the 40 to 50kg mark for those bins capable of storing 3 standard "IATA"-sized cases.
Happy to try and double check on my next trip if I remember! Maybe I got confused between the lb and kg weights? In any case, just for fun:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...-pictures.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.