Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of the B744 in AF fleet is approaching...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by olivedel
^
But turning left is ALWAYS a pleasure
I can't agree more
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bodory
Would someone be in for the last flight?
I looked at the fares and they are atrocious. If you fly inbound on saturday 9th and fly back on the last flight on sunday 10th, it is close to 1800 E in Y and 6500 E in J
So it will be without me
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I looked at the fares and they are atrocious. If you fly inbound on saturday 9th and fly back on the last flight on sunday 10th, it is close to 1800 E in Y and 6500 E in J
So it will be without me
Wow! I just checked flying blue for January 10th MEX-CDG and the cheapest in economy is the flex award for 75K flying blue miles and the cheapest business is the classic award for 75K flying blue miles (same miles but the fuel surcharges are more for J.)
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by carnarvon
You mean Jakarta (or maybe Singapore), right?
Your comment inspired me to look in my old diaries and amazingly I found a boarding pass.....the flight was later than I thought, in 1993 (4 Sept.), KUL to CDG. The BP is printed with the UTA logo, but the flight number is AF....

I see that I was in 1A and I seem to remember eating like a king, with a cheeseboard that seemed to occupy half the cabin. Happy days!

Last edited by DernierVirage; Nov 10, 2015 at 12:51 am
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
I see that I was in 1A and I seem to remember eating like a king, with a cheeseboard that seemed to occupy half the cabin. Happy days!
what a dream (I'm a cheese lover )
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Goldorak
what a dream (I'm a cheese lover )
Not only cheese...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Which ones? I was thinking of ATRs but that would be when you turn right.
I was more thinking about the cockpit door which is nice too
Avros
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

pfff
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:23 am

Even Air France Cargo retired the 747. Seems like just yesterday the -400 was new.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by DernierVirage
Your comment inspired me to look in my old diaries and amazingly I found a boarding pass.....the flight was later than I thought, in 1993 (4 Sept.), KUL to CDG. The BP is printed with the UTA logo, but the flight number is AF....

You keep same stuff as me. Lost some though.

For example am longing for the ticket from ORY to LHR on BEA. Back then was dreaming of flying BOAC but they merged before I could do that.

Back to topic: all UTA operations were taken over by AF on 1st Jan 1992 and both companies merged on 31st December of the same year.

Hence my comment that UTA (as UTA, not under AF poisonous control) did not fly to KUL.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Sad indeed.

I have had so many good flights on the upper deck, by the emergency exit.

I can't think of any Y seat I'd rather be in. Not even EC on KLM beats it.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by carnarvon
You keep same stuff as me. Lost some though.

For example am longing for the ticket from ORY to LHR on BEA. Back then was dreaming of flying BOAC but they merged before I could do that.

Back to topic: all UTA operations were taken over by AF on 1st Jan 1992 and both companies merged on 31st December of the same year.

Hence my comment that UTA (as UTA, not under AF poisonous control) did not fly to KUL.
I used to keep so much more, but I have thrown out a lot of stuff and it was just a coincidence that the old boarding pass was lurking in my 1993 diary. Thanks for the information about the UTA situation, it is clear now.

I also remember doing LHR - ORY - LHR in 1971 in a BEA Vanguard, I loved that plane.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: LH FTL, AF Platinum, AB Gold
Last 747 commercial AF flight

Hello,

I made it. Booked myself onto AF 439 from MEX to CDG on January 10th, the last commercial AF flight with the 747 before retirement; but before the farewell flight, of course.

Booked my seat on upper deck.

Do you know if something special will happen?

Anybody else who will be in? We could have a class of wine in the lounge before.

Best regards

T.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by d-cdlh
Hello,

I made it. Booked myself onto AF 439 from MEX to CDG on January 10th, the last commercial AF flight with the 747 before retirement; but before the farewell flight, of course.

Booked my seat on upper deck.

Do you know if something special will happen?

Anybody else who will be in? We could have a class of wine in the lounge before.

Best regards

T.
Congratulations ^
And upper deck is a very good choice ! No idea if something special will happen, but there will be likely things like more champagne, possibility to visit the cockpit on the ground after arrival in CDG, diplomas "I was on the last AF 747 flight" signed by the captain, etc
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
From ch-aviation (premium content): Air Atlanta Icelandic to acquire Air France B747s]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.